OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ceramic surface?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Weathered-Branch

Ceramic surface?
« on: November 28, 2019, 11:28:27 PM »
What do you guys think of the ceramic playing surfaces? My mentor is a traditionalist and so only used slate (he’s semi-retired now and doesn’t do pot calls anymore).
I’m intrigued by the supposed weather-proofness of it vs slate but it’s a lot more expensive and until I really start selling some calls I’m operating on a VERY limited budget....
I assume glass, crystal etc are weatherproof as well and aren’t as expensive but I’m a little more traditional than that... plus I’m using my mentors design without a soundboard and I don’t know how well those would work like that...
Don’t underestimate how smart I can be, but don’t underestimate how dumb I can be either...

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Ceramic surface?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 06:26:06 AM »
My ceramic is one of my favorite pots, sounds great. I hunt out of a blind so I have not really had to deal with my calls getting wet except an odd drop or two, but have never had that happen with my ceramic pot so I can not say.
I can't speak as to the soundboard, I have only built one call from a kit, the glass soundboard on that seems to work well with slate.

I think I said it already but if I have not welcome to the site.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 01:05:24 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »
Ceramic is one of the best playing pot's you could ever own.. it also depends on the person building the call, not everyone can build you a good ceramic pot , my suggestion is get with someone who is experienced with building ceramic pots ...very few pots are waterproof .. what is even worst on pot calls is cold and high damp humidity... foggy morning are really bad on pot playing surfaces .. you will learn handwarmers are pot calls best friend ... with ceramic you also need to keep your strikers clean also... good luck ... and welcome to the forum ....

Online outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 11:54:15 AM »
                      X 2  With Gregg
          Humidity is really bad the first few hours here
I'v tried a few Callmaker ceramic and only found one I really like
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 12:05:50 PM »
You're also going to have to experiment with sound boards if you want to get the sound that a lot of guys have in their calls.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline NCbowjunkie

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 04:59:11 PM »
You need to run one of his pots before judging the sound. I have and it is an outstanding call  Darrell Gibson has took Aron under his wing and shown a design that mr Gibson has had on this style pot. For a good while now. I got to run one of the first Gibson made several years ago and I can tell you it sound great. Mr Gibson has studied the art of making sound for as long as a lot of guys on here have been living. The theory of this call is from the oriental country’s

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 06:01:42 PM »
You need to run one of his pots before judging the sound. I have and it is an outstanding call  Darrell Gibson has took Aron under his wing and shown a design that mr Gibson has had on this style pot. For a good while now. I got to run one of the first Gibson made several years ago and I can tell you it sound great. Mr Gibson has studied the art of making sound for as long as a lot of guys on here have been living. The theory of this call is from the oriental country’s
  I don't think anyone was judging his ability in building calls , i think he was asking about what we thought about didn't playing surfaces ...just opinions ...  he's welcome to send me pot call anytime for playing and sound opinion ...

Offline NCbowjunkie

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 08:24:31 PM »
I may have came across as that but what I was trying to say is that he has the sound of other callmakers are getting on their pots ,  without a sound board.  The internals are a great deal different than a standard pot with a sound board

Online outdoors

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 08:49:04 PM »
I can imagine. But do you get a break at back end of the yelp or just a scratch sound

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Weathered-Branch

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 09:57:10 PM »
So far no scratch sound as long as the pot is played properly... but I’ve only used slate so far, I haven’t tried any other playing surfaces. I’m intrigued by the ceramic surface because it seems similar to slate, but with a more weatherproof option. But it is almost 3x the price...
Don’t underestimate how smart I can be, but don’t underestimate how dumb I can be either...

Offline Gog1015

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 10:22:34 PM »
Ceramic is my favorite surface, best thing I have found for high humidity mornings.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 11:49:47 PM »
So far no scratch sound as long as the pot is played properly... but I’ve only used slate so far, I haven’t tried any other playing surfaces. I’m intrigued by the ceramic surface because it seems similar to slate, but with a more weatherproof option. But it is almost 3x the price...
  I sent you PM....

Offline North of 8

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 12:11:27 AM »
Best yu can ever find is the old model KH ol yeller designed by Mike  Battey

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 09:02:01 AM »
Best yu can ever find is the old model KH ol yeller designed by Mike  Battey

I always hesitate to say anything is the best u will find, after accumulating over a 100 pots I have come to conclusion there is no magic bullet.

If you like ceramic, I use to hate it, you might want to take a look at the bloodwood black limba that Mark Cornelius (MAC calls) is making now. Its a fine pot in my opinion but we all have different taste.

It was a ceramic padauk pot from Gary Anderson (daybreak calls) I bought last year that peaked my interest in ceramic.

I plan to have at least one ceramic in my vest next year when hunting it definitely has a different sound and is more resistant to moisture than slate, traditionally slate has been my favorite pot call surface over the years.

Online outdoors

• Limbhanger
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »
I appreciate it  Va longbeard  for spending some my money