OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Custom Calls  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Firemt04

Custom Calls
« on: April 29, 2020, 09:02:25 PM »
So I have been turkey hunting for about 20 years and have always used regular production calls (except for one custom call I’ve hade for years) and never honestly thought much about custom turkey calls. I have been able to make low end calls sound turkey enough to get by. I have used higher end duck calls for a few years now (Echo and RNT) mainly because I wasn’t able to find that “ducky” sound I liked with others. So recently I decided to give a high end turkey call a try. I ended up buying a David Halloran Twisted Sister, and fell in love. Now I have a problem.... I want more. I am currently in the market for a trumpet, which I have been wanting to get for awhile now. But shortly after that I am really wanting a custom box call.

So I said all that just to ask what every body likes. I know that is opening a huge door and people are only gonna tell me about what they have, but that’s what I’m looking for. Tell me what you’ve got, post pictures, and tell me what you like about them. I’m open to all types. In what I have been researching I am leaning towards a  Purple Heart and cedar, but could probably be pursued in another direction. They only thing I am de on is being field grade and less than $150 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Charlie 51

Re: Custom Calls
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 09:53:10 PM »
If you are looking for a Purple Heart and cedar.. David Halloran or Jeff Farley..Dave Tyree makes a mean one sider short box also.. they are all under your price

Offline mossyoakpro

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 07:40:50 AM »
Jerry White with Dad's Custom Calls makes a fine Cedar/Purpleheart box....Midwest carries them I'm pretty sure.

Best of luck!!
Phillippians 4:13

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 07:48:02 AM »
I killed a 3 bearded bird last week using an Albert Paul walnut over cedar at 18 steps.  His buddy jumped on him and was pecking his head so loud I could hear it.  I let him go since we're a bird a day in TN.

S&S (kwila over butternut) and Josh Farley (purple heart over cedar) make excellent calls in your price range too.

Offline Firemt04

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 01:19:06 PM »
Thanks guys. There are so many good ones to choose from! I have a feeling that my turkey call collection is eventually going to be larger than my duck call collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 06:41:34 PM »
TJ Johnson walnut over cedar. You can thank me later.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 06:49:34 PM »
  X2 , alone with his walnut over poplar.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 06:53:34 PM »
  X2 , alone with his walnut over poplar.

Great combo there also.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE