OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TSS questions  (Read 1317 times)

Offline strum

TSS questions
« on: February 24, 2020, 03:06:51 PM »
Guys I know yall been using TSS but Im very far back on the learning curve .. really im not even on it lol.
 Here is my pics with my weatherby using long beards.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,91418.0.html

Im wondering 1st .. can I shoot TSS through what I have?
 and 2nd... which shot size
 3rd ... will I even see an improvement ?

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: TSS questions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 03:24:56 PM »
1) Yes
2) 9s or the smallest legal you can hunt with
3) Absolutely
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline strum

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 03:43:06 PM »
1) Yes
2) 9s or the smallest legal you can hunt with
3) Absolutely

Thanks david . so in ga 9s are legal . smaller equals more shot? is that why you say the smallest ?
 Looking at chokes . Carlson makes restrictions down to .640 thats getting pretty dang tight. over kill for me or stick with what I got?

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 03:48:40 PM »
9s pattern great.  Have great patterns at closer distances and carry more than enough punch to kill at ethical ranges.  Bigger TSS is waste of space.

What TSS are you looking at?  Federal? Apex? Browning? Burgess Creek? Fox Trot?  Federal seems like it likes tighter chokes but not sure I would go to .640.  Personally I would start at the .665 with any.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline strum

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 04:07:05 PM »
9s pattern great.  Have great patterns at closer distances and carry more than enough punch to kill at ethical ranges.  Bigger TSS is waste of space.

What TSS are you looking at?  Federal? Apex? Browning? Burgess Creek? Fox Trot?  Federal seems like it likes tighter chokes but not sure I would go to .640.  Personally I would start at the .665 with any.

Thought I would pick up  a box or 2 of federal tss heavy weights .

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 04:09:01 PM »
I would get the 3” 1.75 oz 9s and try what I have. Shoot big paper though.