turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Iowa behind the times

Started by 2eagles, November 24, 2019, 03:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

I wish Iowa would do a better job keeping up with new products. State law limits us to 8 shot to 4 shot for turkey. So I can't use #9 TSS. I don't reload so I guess I'll use 7's. Funny thing is I was in our new Mills Farm store yesterday and they stocks 9's and a blended load that's (I think) 8's and 10's. Hope the guys buying it realize it's not for Iowa.

DKG

Same in NY! Can only use 8s-2s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

Apex Ammunition sells TSS 8s  - that might be an option for you. 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on November 24, 2019, 08:46:20 PM
Apex Ammunition sells TSS 8s  - that might be an option for you.
Thanks, I was going to tell him the same thing but could not remember the name of the manufacturer.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

tracker#1

I load my own in NY, TSS #8s, but also used Apex GT-20 with great success.....

1iagobblergetter

I called the IDNR on this a few years back when it only went to 7.5s. The way it was worded I was told you couldn't use 7's,but could use 7.5's legally. I tried to explain the new shot material,etc. and gave my opinion on going from 7.5s to 9's,but evidently they thought #8's was good enough.
My understanding is the rules go in front of a board or committee for any changes each year. It doesn't hurt to call and voice your opinions. Maybe if enough people explain this they will go to 9's the next time. It was 7.5's for as long as I can remember until recently so I think they do somewhat listen. If they dont at least they might go to 8.5's that we can't buy that I know of anyway..

2eagles

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on November 26, 2019, 03:05:50 AM
I called the IDNR on this a few years back when it only went to 7.5s. The way it was worded I was told you couldn't use 7's,but could use 7.5's legally. I tried to explain the new shot material,etc. and gave my opinion on going from 7.5s to 9's,but evidently they thought #8's was good enough.
My understanding is the rules go in front of a board or committee for any changes each year. It doesn't hurt to call and voice your opinions. Maybe if enough people explain this they will go to 9's the next time. It was 7.5's for as long as I can remember until recently so I think they do somewhat listen. If they dont at least they might go to 8.5's that we can't buy that I know of anyway..
Yup. Before this change, technically, Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend wasn't legal because it had size 7 shot in it. Glad I never got caught, but I would find it hard to believe the warden would actually write a citation over it.

dejake

In Delaware, you can only use 7.5 if it's part of a blended load.  Other than that, 6's are the smallest you can use.  Ridiculous.