OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Glass over ceramic... input needed

Started by bdirks, November 22, 2019, 08:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdirks

Quick question,

Do any of you have any experience using a glass calling surface over a ceramic tone board?  It might be my next endeavor.  Please share any input or experience you may have.

Thanks!
Brian Dirks

JLH

bdirks

When I did a web search I didn't find anything. I am intrigued by the idea. I just hate to have a call made that may sound like garbage.

Brian

outdoors

Never heard of this combo
Ceramic is very hard too cut
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Greg Massey

Agree , never hear of that combo... ceramic is meant to play in my opinion ... not hide under glass...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on November 22, 2019, 12:31:49 PM
Agree , never hear of that combo... ceramic is meant to play in my opinion ... not hide under glass...
I am sure somebody said that about slate under glass at one time though. Experimentation in calls is cool I think, like the wood under my Mabry slate I just got, I had never heard of using wood as a soundboard until the last 6 months.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

JLH

Under a piece of glass isn't a good spot to hide  ;D

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on November 22, 2019, 12:47:17 PM
I am sure somebody said that about slate under glass at one time though. Experimentation in calls is cool I think, like the wood under my Mabry slate I just got, I had never heard of using wood as a soundboard until the last 6 months.
Everyone has opinions , just like you.... I like playing ceramic myself ....

Greg Massey

Quote from: JLH on November 22, 2019, 02:24:02 PM

Under a piece of glass isn't a good spot to hide  ;D
Agree , that ceramic needs playing ....

Gog1015

Ceramic OVER glass is my favorite surface.

Greg Massey

If you every buy a GOOD pot call in ceramic , you will see the difference .. DO you own a ceramic ?

M,Yingling

I have done some crystal over ceramic   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udAlc5nirkI

I know when i first tried it it was a crap shoot had to tweek my pots dimensions a bit  that ceramic is thick stuff for a sound board 

Quote from: outdoors on November 22, 2019, 11:10:52 AM
Ceramic is very hard too cut

no need to cut u can buy it precut in about every size these days
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Chris O

I have one made by Mike Yingling and it's a good sounding call!!!!!
Him and Chris Brumfiel have made me some different combinations that I have been happy with. I like to try the different combinations of soundboards . I guess it is crystal isn't it Mike. I bet glass would be very similar.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on November 22, 2019, 03:57:56 PM
If you every buy a GOOD pot call in ceramic , you will see the difference .. DO you own a ceramic ?
Yes, I own one of Stumpy's, very nice call.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."