OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

This weeks Mail (Photo Heavy)

Started by Sir-diealot, November 21, 2019, 07:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Had a very good week for calls in the mail, here they are.

R.A. Dunfee Witch's Fiddle Scratch Box The call is dogwood with a ribbon sapele soundboard. Striker is walnut. I added several pictures where I played with the light to try and show off the grain of the bark some.

IMG_0630 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_0632 (3) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_0632 (4) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_0628 (3) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_0634 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

Next is a Crow Call made with Cherry with Brazilian cherry mouthpiece made by Mr ML Walker I wish I could have gotten the lighting better for this, it does not do the call justice.

IMG_0635 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

Stabilized maple Crow call with green tint added. Made by Daryal Gosey

IMG_0670 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0666 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0665 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0663 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

Last but not least a Lonnie Mabry Cedar and Slate Pot Call with a Cannarywood Striker. Thanks to DLTEMPLE for grabbing it for me.

IMG_0673 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0674 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0678 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Loyalist84

Great set of calls! How do you find the wooden mouthpiece plays in comparison to the standard crow call mouthpiece (not sure of its material, maybe acrylic)?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Loyalist84 on November 21, 2019, 09:20:04 PM
Great set of calls! How do you find the wooden mouthpiece plays in comparison to the standard crow call mouthpiece (not sure of its material, maybe acrylic)?
I think it has a much different sound, I like the sound from both mind you. I have other crow calls but this is my first wooden one and it seems to me to blow easier. I am not the greatest caller though or I would post a soundfile. Going to watch some video's and learn what sequence I should use when calling them, may try to hunt them this year. I think the ML Walker call is going to remain a collection piece though, won't see a lot of play time.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Chris O

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Chris O on November 22, 2019, 04:56:57 AM
Congrats on the nice additions
Thanks, after I get a vehicle on the road which look like it will be in the next month or two I have to get a cabinet to put them all in. I want to get something like this, my father had several growing up.

John Koenig:

Mathews.1

Quote from: Sir-diealot on November 22, 2019, 06:57:17 AM
Thanks, after I get a vehicle on the road which look like it will be in the next month or two I have to get a cabinet to put them all in. I want to get something like this, my father had several growing up.
What are those cabinets actually called?

davisd9

Quote from: Mathews.1 on November 22, 2019, 07:58:02 AM

Curio Cabinet
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dwcim

Bow front china cabinet made of mahogany veneer.  Some have ball and claw feet also. Most have steel wheels on them.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: davisd9 on November 22, 2019, 08:59:44 AM
Quote from: Mathews.1 on November 22, 2019, 07:58:02 AM

Curio Cabinet
Well some call them Curio's, some refer to them as cabinets, some as hutches. (I do think hutch is the proper term but don't quote me on that) The one shown would be partially identified as having Claw feet and curved glass. I will give you a tip, you see many with glass shelves, those are almost never antiques, they almost all came with wooden shelves. I would say all but just want to leave room in case I am proven wrong, but most with glass shelves are either repos or the wooden shelves were either replaced in the modern era because of either damage or just personal taste. If they have a light in them they are certainly not antique or are not as original antique and adding that light will have greatly depreciated the value.

John Koenig:

1iagobblergetter

Great bunch of calls Congrats..Welcome to the addiction. Looks like you have a collection going.. :icon_thumright:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on November 23, 2019, 02:21:55 PM
Great bunch of calls Congrats..Welcome to the addiction. Looks like you have a collection going.. :icon_thumright:
Thanks, working on it, try to get them all out to hunt at least once, some favorites more than that. I have to get the pot call out that I built last year, the day I got my first turkey I had brought it with me but left it sitting in the vehicle. Would have been even better to get my first with one I built but believe me I am not complaining! I am working on another call kit now.

John Koenig: