OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Favorite vest?  (Read 20053 times)

Offline strum

Re: Favorite vest?
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2020, 02:40:01 PM »
Many moons ago Cabelas made a "Half vest" with the speed seat attached. Basically an oversized fanny pack/hip pack with the best seat in the industry attached to it.
That thing has been so good to me that its main color at this point is jelly head blood.

I would like this type. wish they still made it.

Offline Brandon8807

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2020, 12:26:43 PM »
I've used the cabelas tatr the last two year and have really liked it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2020, 05:09:51 PM »
I have now walked about 10 miles in my tatr.  So far, so good.  I like how it distributes the weight of my gear.  Much more comfortable and plenty of pockets compared to my old vest.  I have a small, very green vest that I use late season when it is hot, but I doubt I will ever pull it out.  Will see how it holds up. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Seminoleturkey

« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2020, 08:34:46 PM »
X2 love mine
I don't have a favorite.  Every vest I try has something I love about it AND something I hate about it.

Offline DMTJAGER

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2020, 01:32:00 AM »
Well made vest that ACTUALLY can curry a dead Tom as well as my Dana Design's Long Bed back pack.
I have had some great HUNTING vests including my current one but never one that could carry a 20-24lb Tom comfortably.

And NEVER buy a vest that doesn't have a chest strap, learned that one the hard way with my first vest.

Offline Tony Hawkins

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2020, 06:31:41 PM »
I have used a Primos Gobbler vest in bottomland for the past 15 years or so. Plenty of room for everything, and I like how the seat has a magnet to attach it when I flip it up to move.

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2020, 01:26:51 PM »
Been using the Nomad vest this season coming from the cable as tactical Tat’r 2 and I am really starting to like the vest. Seat is way bigger than the Tat’r and just as comfortable and I don’t feel like I’m sitting off the front of it like I did with the Tat’r. Striker magnets have held in place perfectly so far and way more pockets than the Tat’r. On thing that sucks kinda right now is the seat system, the magnets don’t stay locked in 100% of the time but if you have the buckles clipped and the magnets break loose it holds the seat basically in the same position my Tat’r speed seat did when flipped up.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2020, 08:40:12 PM »
That is a great point.  Maybe it is a height or size thing, but I am not a fan of the tat'r seat.  I spent an hour on it on Sunday and I am just getting over it!  I rarely use the seat as I carry a lounger for most hunts.  If you use that seat a lot, it would be smart to try it on.  I noticed Aaron from The Hunting Public uses the tat'r and he seems to sit right down on it.  He is a different sized dude from me.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Swim-Bait

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2020, 11:23:30 PM »
Alps Grand Slam vest size? I'm 6'2" tall and about 190 pounds. M/L or XL? I think the M/L would be the one. Thoughts? Also kinda torn between it and the Cabelas one. Thanks

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2020, 01:59:58 AM »
Been using the Nomad vest this season coming from the cable as tactical Tat’r 2 and I am really starting to like the vest. Seat is way bigger than the Tat’r and just as comfortable and I don’t feel like I’m sitting off the front of it like I did with the Tat’r. Striker magnets have held in place perfectly so far and way more pockets than the Tat’r. On thing that sucks kinda right now is the seat system, the magnets don’t stay locked in 100% of the time but if you have the buckles clipped and the magnets break loose it holds the seat basically in the same position my Tat’r speed seat did when flipped up.
That is a great point.  Maybe it is a height or size thing, but I am not a fan of the tat'r seat.  I spent an hour on it on Sunday and I am just getting over it!  I rarely use the seat as I carry a lounger for most hunts.  If you use that seat a lot, it would be smart to try it on.  I noticed Aaron from The Hunting Public uses the tat'r and he seems to sit right down on it.  He is a different sized dude from me.
I noticed the same issue...  But, I find it no more difficult to physically push/pull the seat forward than deploying a magnetic seat (which you must also reach around to do).  But the Cabela's seat does not need to be "re-deployed" on a quick move. 

I only use the seat in the morning to keep my butt dry...  Later in the morning (when the grass is dry) with running and gunning, I often remove it.  In the morning, when I am going to sit a bit, that seat is nice...  And dry.  Later in the morning, I am often covering a lot of country, and trying to make very quick moves into strategic locations, and I simply would rather sit on the ground than deal with a seat (or chair).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.