turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite vest?

Started by tteel, November 21, 2019, 12:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzsmith

my favorite vest out of the 3 ive ever owned was the super elite 3. I used it until it got a little to faded for my comfort which only took about 7 years....grant it there was a lot of hardcore hunting all over during that time. I also had to sow it up in a few spots. I went to the NWFT convention 3 years ago when alps released the vest that was basically a super elite 3 copy I think its called the super elite 4.0, but a little thicker and definelty more of a poly blend in the camo material I bought it for 90 bucks. Last year was my first year using it. Most of the pockets are the same, its gotta a couple that are a little different but the orientation is the same, Im grabbing the same calls from the same areas and pockets....I know many people do not like a true vest style vest...some people like straps with everything pulled high and not hanging, but me personally I like my vest to hang so I can see whats going and don't have to move my arms as much to use it while sitting. A vest doesn't hinder me one bit...I walked 11 miles opening day 2018 with the super elite 3 no problem and have walked many miles since. you get used to it. yeah they can get hot, and perhaps if I was hunting desert turkeys I might simply take it off, but on those nippy mornings I appreciate it, and early march is usually chilly where I hunt anyway.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

RailRoader

The claw sling mod would definitely take some stress off your shoulders. Thanks for the information.

Mossberg90MN

I have the Alps Grand Slam and I do love that vest. I was hearing great things about the Cabelas vest so I returned my Alps vest and bought the Cabelas vest. I'm sure that vest works absolutely fine, but you could feel the price difference for sure, and the kickstand simply just didn't work.

So I went right back to the cabelas and got my Grand slam vest back. The quality of that vest is great! I plan on keeping the kickstand in my truck... depending on the type of terrain I plan on hunting that day will determine if I will be using the kickstand. More hardwood ridges, no kickstand. An area with more fields... kickstand.

I also have the Knight and Hale run n gun 200 and it's a fantastic minimalist vest. I just wish it had a bigger back pack, and maybe zippers for the pot call holders.

I upgraded to the grand slam for more storage really.

dzsmith

Quote from: RailRoader on February 18, 2020, 10:33:02 AM
The claw sling mod would definitely take some stress off your shoulders. Thanks for the information.

what are yal carrying to the point where you have stress on your shoulders. serious question....i mean are you carrying a 45lb barbell weight in it...

Jroddc

I own both the Cabelas Tat'r and the Alps grand slam. I modified the seat on the Alps to be like the Tat'r but I still prefer the Tat'r. My only gripe with it is that it doesn't have shell loops other than that it's pretty  much perfect for me. Like some of you have said if Cabelas does bring it back I'll definitely buy one as a backup. 

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: Jroddc on February 19, 2020, 08:04:59 AM
I own both the Cabelas Tat'r and the Alps grand slam. I modified the seat on the Alps to be like the Tat'r but I still prefer the Tat'r. My only gripe with it is that it doesn't have shell loops other than that it's pretty  much perfect for me. Like some of you have said if Cabelas does bring it back I'll definitely buy one as a backup.

I believe they have just restocked. So you should check on the website.

aclawrence

Quote from: dzsmith on February 19, 2020, 06:31:05 AM

what are yal carrying to the point where you have stress on your shoulders. serious question....i mean are you carrying a 45lb barbell weight in it...
I'm guessing if Dave is really using the straps to help support the weight it's because he is carrying multiple cameras, batteries, battery chargers, and a tripod. I'd be willing to guess that Dave carries as few calls in his vest as anyone here. I've only ever seen him use a mouth call and a glass pot.  The claw straps probably also help with "sticking to your shoulders" or not slipping off. That's just my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dubie

I just got my tactical tat'r vest in the mail. I have to say I am very impressed. I have it in the new strata Camo pattern. I think it will work with my greenleaf pattern well and later into the spring. I was really looking forward to seeing the cushion- seems like it is on par with my nomad mg vest. I will be trying them both out over the course of the season. The tat'r layout is really nice, but I like the nomad vest because of the dedicated thermacell holder. I will be changing out the straps with claw straps on that vest prior to the start of the season!

dzsmith

Quote from: aclawrence on February 22, 2020, 09:07:00 AM
Quote from: dzsmith on February 19, 2020, 06:31:05 AM

I'm guessing if Dave is really using the straps to help support the weight it's because he is carrying multiple cameras, batteries, battery chargers, and a tripod. I'd be willing to guess that Dave carries as few calls in his vest as anyone here. I've only ever seen him use a mouth call and a glass pot.  The claw straps probably also help with "sticking to your shoulders" or not slipping off. That's just my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well that definelty explains it then if you got a guy with camera gear, etc....so yeah that weight could add up quickly. I was just curious, that wasn't meant to insult anyone...I carry a lot of stuff myself....but I cant say my vest is stressing me from weight per say.

etapia

Those with the Cabelas Tactical Tat'r, how is the fit? Looks like they only carry a one size fits all model as opposed to S/M or L/XL. I wonder if the new ones are huge?

Screaming6x6

I picked up a Nomad for last Spring and have no complaints.

jlw

I picked up a Cabela's Tactical Tat'r vest at Bass Pro last month. The vest is in MO Obsession and has a kickstand that I took out. It was on a sales table with a lot of other discounted items. My hunting buddy has this vest in the non-kickstand version that he hunted in last year. He said he really likes it and I have to say that I'm really liking it as well. I'm looking forward to hunting in it this year.

Realwarrior

Quote from: paboxcall on November 21, 2019, 07:50:01 PM

I did the same, ditching the vest for a fanny pack. But I'm fickle sometimes so now I'm back to a K&H Run/Gun 300. Its really nice, lightweight, and good design.
I've went through a lot of vests but the KH 300 if light weight and does what it's designed to do without the extra weight or burning you up while doing it. I love this vest.

gdc23

I have an older Crooked Horn Outfitter vest with the slide down seat pad, it a great quality vest but Im thinking of possibly trying The Old Tom or the Alps vest

blake_08

Just this year, i replaced my old vest with a new one. First i bought an Alpz Grand Slam and to be honest, i didn't like it. Felt too big (bulky) and i was never going to use all the storage it had. Plus i never used the game bag on my old vest, i just always pack my gobblers out over the shoulder. I then bough a Knight and Hale RNG-300 and this vest is literally perfect for me. I can't find one single thing to gripe about. I love that it has a backpack on the back instead of a game bag. It also has 10 independent adjustment points, so you can make it fit perfectly. I'm probably going to buy another one after season as a back up.