OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Favorite vest?  (Read 20040 times)

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Favorite vest?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 01:01:47 AM »
I got my Alps Outdoorz grand slam vest. Gotta say, I’m very excited about using it. I was gonna return it and go with the cabelas vest... but I opted on keeping the grand slam vest.

Offline ejhandler

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2020, 09:59:05 AM »
I have an Alps Grand Slam for slower days with less walking and more sitting.  Also tend to grab that vest if I plan on using decoy(s). 

For days with longer and more walks, or when the Wisconsin weather finally warms up, I go with either the RNG-200 or 300.  I like the minimalist design of the 200 and the thing I like over a satchel is the vest can take a bladder.  Personal preference but I much prefer the bladder over carrying a water bottle.

If you ever find one you really really like buy a lifetime supply.  The manufacturers always have to come up with a newer and better...which seldom is.

Solid advice... I actually bought another RNG-200 when I saw them on sale on Amazon for $30 this winter and might regret not buying a third one.

Offline a_jabbo

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 11:36:27 PM »
I've had the same Cabela's Tactical Tat'r (Original) with the 2 detachable leg pouches for probably 11 years now. Time for an upgrade. Reading this post has given me a lot of options to look into. I've been looking into the Alps Grand Slam Vest. I like the kickstand frame, but I'm concerned about the weight, which 6 lbs isn't that much until you have an all day hunt. A buddy of mine has one and said he absolutely loves it, but I suppose I have to consider all the options.

Offline Boyer12

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2020, 12:36:08 PM »
Alps grand slam has been my favorite

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2020, 03:06:55 PM »
I just got the Alps super elite 4.0, really seems nice. I’ve been running the first super elite someone gave me years ago. Love it but it’s getting fragile!
Does anyone know when the first NWTF super elite was made?
I’ve was trying to find out how old mine is. It’s the only vest I’ve used.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Offline mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2020, 06:15:53 PM »
Yes to the Alps Super Elite 4...

Seems much better made than previous versions...

Will give it a go this season!
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2020, 09:39:21 PM »
Got a Alps super elite 4.0 last year, like it a lot.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline yelpaholic

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2020, 09:53:16 PM »
bob dixon

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2020, 08:43:47 AM »
just ordered alps impact in obsession. like the seat and being able to detatch the front right pockets for very light run and gun

going to order a knight and hale rng 300 in bottomland for early season.  2nd season here in wisconsin is often times still winter. snowed april 21st last year

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2020, 08:44:39 AM »
i'll report back with results after using them

Offline KYFrid

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2020, 08:01:29 AM »
If you ever find one you really really like buy a lifetime supply.  The manufacturers always have to come up with a newer and better...which seldom is.

I hear that!  I wished I had done that with my Limbhanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dbishop

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2020, 01:35:28 AM »
I've been  using a Cabela's Tat'r 2 for quite a while now...but reading this thread has got me trying to find an excuse to shell out some cash for one of those Run N Gun 300 deals.  I have to admit they look pretty nice!

Offline Number17

• Pennsylvania 4E
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2020, 07:30:48 AM »
Many moons ago Cabelas made a "Half vest" with the speed seat attached. Basically an oversized fanny pack/hip pack with the best seat in the industry attached to it.
That thing has been so good to me that its main color at this point is jelly head blood.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Offline ColbyModisette

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2020, 07:21:43 PM »
I use the Tenzing TP14 and that thing is a Cadillac.  Its a little bulky and heavy but that's mostly my fault cause I seem to just keep stuffing things in it.  I am wanting to get another vest that's a little lighter for days when I know I'm gonna do a lot of walking.
Two Creeks Game Calls

Offline Campwv

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »
Been using a HS Strut SUV vest for the last 15 years. It's about plumb wore out. Needs stitched up every year. I've tried new ones the last few years and keep going back to it. Don't like change I guess. Tried a primos gobbler vest and didn't care for it. Tried a tenzing last year and couldnt get used to it. Just picked up a new nomad mg. Has some shortcomings but overall it's more promising than the others I've tried. Time will tell.