OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Favorite vest?  (Read 20160 times)

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Favorite vest?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 01:56:58 PM »
I have the K&H run and gun 200. I like it a lot, but I’ve been going into the woods with less and less as I’m becoming a more mobile guy. This fall I went out with just a back pack, I too have also used a fanny pack as well.

That’s fine if your gonna be out there for a morning hunt but an all day thing I like to bring more with me.

Only bummer about the K&H vest is that it doesn’t have a place to put a turkey. But I guess that’s what makes it nice and light.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 04:46:23 AM »
I ditched the vest about 9 years ago and went to a hip pack, I'd been using a Badlands and tried out the Avian-X Rundown Sling Pack this past season and liking it.

MK M GOBL

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2019, 10:46:00 AM »
The RNG vests come with a turkey tote. Or you can use the provided decoy straps and strap over your shoulders. I never used a the game bag on any of vests...so it works for me. I have hunted with every vest known to man... seriously. I like the RNG 300 so much I bought 3 of them.. just in case they discontinue.
The best vest for you will depend on many variables, how you hunt, your gear, etc. RNG is great for the guys that don't want the bulk of a large vest.. but not quite to the point of using just a fannie pack.  Plus, you don't need to 44in waist to fit in it ...like 90% of the other vests out there.

I have the K&H run and gun 200. I like it a lot, but I’ve been going into the woods with less and less as I’m becoming a more mobile guy. This fall I went out with just a back pack, I too have also used a fanny pack as well.

That’s fine if your gonna be out there for a morning hunt but an all day thing I like to bring more with me.

Only bummer about the K&H vest is that it doesn’t have a place to put a turkey. But I guess that’s what makes it nice and light.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2019, 01:11:41 PM »
If you ever find one you really really like buy a lifetime supply.  The manufacturers always have to come up with a newer and better...which seldom is.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2019, 02:09:53 PM »
i got the newer Nomad vest last year.  i had seen complaints about the older model with the snaps but they updated.  i like it.  its light and holds quite a bit but is more run and gun feel.  big ole butt pad that is thick and stays up when walking.  i like the thermacell holder where i don't even have to take it out, just turn it on.  In Mississippi when it warms up you have to have it.

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2019, 04:12:55 PM »
K&H RNG-300

Love it!  Great pocket setup, nice firm cushion, compatible with a water bladder, easy to adjust to your body for a snug fit.

I bought another RNG-200 on sale at walmart after the season because I heard rumors of them discontinuing it!

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2019, 05:18:32 PM »
They wear out pretty quickly.  I haven't found a favorite yet. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2019, 11:12:35 AM »
I have been using a Knights Hunting Products handsfree for the past several years. I like most of what the vest does. I do not carry a box call, so the pockets for that are a waste. My only complaint with that vest is the striker carrying capability (or lack thereof)
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Offline GuideGun

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 08:43:44 AM »
Cabelas Tactical Tatr 2 works well for me.  I'm a run and gun style hunter and haven't had any issues with it.  I like the pocket layout and the space provided.  I carry enough stuff to hunt all day if need be. 
Matt

Offline skimerhorn

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2019, 08:51:02 PM »
I really like the tatr 2. I just bought a alps. Seems pretty comfortable, gonna put it to the test this spring

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 08:25:35 PM »
The RNG vests come with a turkey tote. Or you can use the provided decoy straps and strap over your shoulders. I never used a the game bag on any of vests...so it works for me. I have hunted with every vest known to man... seriously. I like the RNG 300 so much I bought 3 of them.. just in case they discontinue.
The best vest for you will depend on many variables, how you hunt, your gear, etc. RNG is great for the guys that don't want the bulk of a large vest.. but not quite to the point of using just a fannie pack.  Plus, you don't need to 44in waist to fit in it ...like 90% of the other vests out there.

Yea correct it does come with a turkey tote, and a sling for a decoy.

Don’t mind a turkey tote but it would be nice to have a little more storage for a decoy or something else. That’s truly why I was looking at another vest, I wanted a convenient way of hauling around a decoy if need be.

I do love my K&H Run and Gun 200. Which is why I was a bit torn on buying a new vests.

I went with an Alps Grand slam vest. But after seeing posts about the Cabelas Tactical Tat r 2 vest. I may actually return mine and save myself $80. It’s still in the mail on it’s way... probably going right back for an exchange hahah

I feel the back frame might be nice for those longer sits... I can recall a handful of times I was sitting up against a tree the Width of a coke can.

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 10:32:58 PM »
I'm almost exclusively a run and gun guy at this stage in my turkey hunt, so I went with an Alps chest pack (I think it's called the Impact? nope, Vantage) that has a box call pocket and a spot for a pot call and 2 strikers built into it. I can fit my whole loadout into it - crow call, diaphragms, 3 shells, conditioners, leatherman binos and calls plus license, with a tote in my pants pocket. I have everything right in front of me within easy reach when I'm set up with a gun on my knee, room to shoulder and no extra fabric on my back to heat up in late season. Also keeps me from running around the county with half a Cabelas aisle hanging from my shoulders.  :TooFunny:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 03:57:28 PM by Loyalist84 »

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2020, 01:03:26 PM »
All my stuff is custom made , so i really don't have any Cabelas hanging from my shoulders , but a small pair of Vortex binoculars .... :OGturkeyhead:

Offline ElkTurkMan

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »
Another vote here for the Cabela 's tatr 2

Offline Honolua

• Do Or Do Not There Is No Try...-Master Yoda
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 03:34:39 AM »
I have a bunch of vests, my least favorite is the Ol' Tom and my favorite is the Primos Hobbler 2.

Surprised no one mentioned the Primos.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk