turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Marlin Watkins youtube video

Started by ozarktroutbum, November 13, 2019, 06:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarktroutbum

Folks, I came across a video of him running some calls in what looked like to be his garage/shop?

He pulled out several long boxes out of a drawer and ran them.

I copied and pasted the video in a message I sent to someone on a different forum a year or so ago. I went back to click the link and the video says it has been set to private.

Any idea on who might be the keeper of his videos???

I really wanted to go back a listen to a couple of the calls.

Thanks.

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Will

I remember the video you are speaking of and I to cannot find it on YOUTUBE. There was also another video of Mr Watkins hunting Turkey Trot with some good yelper action that has also been pulled.

outdoors

Try putting in Marlin Watkins in YouTube search
Quit a few came up from him
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

HookedonHooks

From his YouTube channel, here is his paddle call instructional. This is the only video he currently has on there featuring his long boxes. If this isn't the one you are talking about then it has been privated and there will be no way to view it unless it is made public again.

https://youtu.be/TJK9BqyFMsI

Not that it makes any sense, but sometimes YouTube will take action and strike your account if it goes against community standards, or often is a "hunting" channel. When this happens you must set all your videos private or you risk them deleting your whole channel from the platform.

Mathews.1

I'm making a trip to marlins shop tomorrow. Any combo recommendations ?

OldSwamper

honestly, it really depends on what sound your looking for.  For example, for a soft call, i'd grab my mac ebony/persimmon; for a screamer, chatke viga/black limba (yellowheart/limba also screams); for raspy, snakewood/persimmon or ipe/sycamore misfit; high pitch, mac ebony/cherry; deeper sound, hop horn beam/red cedar.  Of the calls I have, bloodwood/butternut has the cleanest/non raspy yelp, but I have had several mineral poplar calls before that were even cleaner.  Those are just suggestions, and not sure your plans, but you will regret if you don't go planning to buy more than one.  Just tell Marlin what you like, he'll get it right.

Really curious to hear others preferences on the above sounds and what they prefer.

Mathews.1

I'm on his list for two. Thanks for the recommendations.

Will

I am on his list for a hop horn over red cedar. We were talking about a mature hen sound with a lot of "yawk" in the yelp and he recommended that combo.

Will

I've had some inquiries as to my post about Marlins list. I want to clarify I spoke to him about that cedar call in the beginning of May and I know he has stopped taking orders since then. I can't speak for now and I didn't mean to cause any confusion. I'm hoping I'm still on that list!

Mathews.1

What a blessing it was to meet and visit Marlin and his shop. I could of stayed there all day listening to his stories and playing his calls. I chose a bloodwood/butternut and an all persimmon fiddle box. He is not taking orders at this time. I played about everything he had made and it was awesome to hear all the different combos. Also so there's no confusion I had been on his list since March or April.

Greg Massey

I could listen to him run calls all day out of those cabinet's ....Great call builder ....

Will

That bloodwood and butternut combo is a killer.

gdc23

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Will on November 17, 2019, 11:35:25 AM
I've had some inquiries as to my post about Marlins list. I want to clarify I spoke to him about that cedar call in the beginning of May and I know he has stopped taking orders since then. I can't speak for now and I didn't mean to cause any confusion. I'm hoping I'm still on that list!

If he says you are then you have no worries. Mr. Marlin is as good as they come. You will get a call. Check back with him.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE