OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Short story...

Started by Steve, November 04, 2019, 10:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Just wanted to share since I took the time to write it up. I posted it on my FB page...thought it may be okay to post here as well. It's been a while since I've posted on here. I'm still alive and kicking, just been really busy. Still turning out some calls too.

Here's a quick story of why I do what I do...and why North Bay Game Calls exists today.

I had somebody contact me last week for her husband asking about making him a striker.  I ended up talking with him and it turns out the striker he wanted made had been used by him and his hunting buddy for the last 30-40 years and was responsible for the demise of 150 plus turkeys between the two of them in multiple states.  Unfortunately the striker was broken while negotiating a fence. We won't mention who broke it here, the two hunting buddies were equally devastated.

The gentleman I talked with had been searching high and low for the right person to try to make a new striker. It had to be somebody that put everything into the making of such a special striker. He looked as far as Tennessee and just never found a maker he was comfortable with. Then it happened...he saw a news excerpt of North Bay Game Calls and was impressed enough to allow me the privilege of trying to replicate the busted turkey slaying striker. And best of all I was located a mere mile or two from his own home. We set up a quick meeting shortly afterward. When he asked his buddy for the striker to show me and see what I thought he was in for a surprise. His long time hunting partner had repaired it and never told him. He brought it to him wrapped in bubble wrap and secured in a dry ammo box...you know, so it didn't end up broken a second time.

We examined the old patina striker together and tried to determine it's origin, structure and wood type, as well as what it was that gave it that magical turkey calling prowess. We both agreed it may be maple, but not with any certainty. The one thing he stated was that this striker made a sound like no other striker either of them had ever owned.  That was why it was responsible for so many turkeys over the years. I had my work cut out for me. I jotted down all the critical dimensions and snapped a few pictures for more reference. Then it was time to make some sawdust. Before he left he told me to make two of the new strikers, one for him and one for his buddy.

Now you guys and gals know I can't make just a "Plain Jane" type of anything. It has to have some character...so with the full intent of sticking with the maple theme I opted to make his strikers from ambrosia maple. That should get them pretty close to where we both wanted to be. Great looks and outstanding sound dynamics.

A few days later I called him to let him know I had the strikers all finished up. Of course I tried them on my own calls first and really liked the sound they both made. So I had high hopes they would be suitable replacements. And truly custom made just for my new customer.

He arrived and saw the two strikers sitting on the table. Without saying a word he pulled out his favorite aluminum call from his pocket and went to work on the call with a keen ear for scrutiny of the new tools. He had nothing but good things to say about them...the looks, the sound, everything. Well, to put it into his own words, "Pardon my French, but these are f*&^#@g awesome!!

He played the call for a while longer while we chatted some more. To say he was happy with the new replicas would be a gross understatement. As he left he said he was taking one right over to his buddy to see what he thought about them.
It wasn't long before he called me back to inform me that the strikers were approved by both turkey gunners. They both loved the looks and the sound. In fact, he stated that his buddy would not accept these new imposters unless they were 99.99% as good as the old one. He went on to tell me that the original striker that had been broken would be heading for retirement in the gun cabinet. It served them both well over many decades, but now the new North Bay strikers would be finding space in their turkey vests for any future turkey hunting excursions. That is about the highest compliment a customer can give besides sending me a picture of a North Bay call in use.

This folks, is what it is all about...customer satisfaction, the camaraderie, the laughs and stories, the traditions. It's not about the killing, the notoriety or the money. That's all secondary and not why I do this at all. It's not about impressing a judge behind a curtain. It's about that special call that can, and likely will be, handed down to the next generation of hunters. It's about owning a call that has character, a call born with a soul and is not seen as just another tool. That's what sets North Bay apart from calls you can buy in a store, and that's what sets North Bay apart from other call makers. This is not a hobby anymore, it's a job and one that I love doing and take very seriously, but with a lot of humor and humility. Enjoy being outdoors and pursuing all the game we all love to chase...good gunnin'!

USMC0331

Outstanding

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

outdoors

Awesome story , congratulations too both sides

Is the striker a one  peice
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

sbbow

That's fantastic! An a great story to boot thanks far sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

Steve

Thanks everybody. I wish I had more time to do more writing. Yes, the striker is a one piece. It doesn't show it in the picture, but the head also has a hole drilled into the top that runs about a 1/2" deep.

Steve

Jimmyj

Greg Massey

bobk

Steve

Thanks guys...I may have to make one of these for my own vest. They sounded really good on a glass call I was using them on.

Beards and Hooks

Very nice, hopefully that striker has the same magic as the original!

idratherb

cool story I enjoyed the read ;)

Steve

They sure sounded good to me and my two clients. Hope the turkeys agree and bring them continued success.