OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

fly vs drive?

Started by Mr. Nasty, November 11, 2019, 12:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Nasty

I know half of the fun is getting there, but have any of you flown on a hunting trip? Did flying work out well for you? How did you handle flying/packing your vest? How did you get your meat back? Would you fly again or would you drive from now on? Just trying to think of ways to save on travel time.

guesswho

I've flown a couple times.  I enjoy it, on both occasions I have met some turkey experts, both on the plane and in the airport. 

I packed my vest with the rest of my clothes.  We rented a house where we went, so the meat was consumed on site.  If it's more than about a 6-8 hour truck ride, I'm flying. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Mr. Nasty

Have any trouble flying your gun? What kind of airport travel case do you recommend?

guesswho

Didn't have any trouble at all, but that several years ago.  Mine is a Pelican.  You can check with the airline and they can provide you with the rules and reg you have to follow.  But it was fairly simple.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

backwater

Flew with a gun for the first time this spring....no issues what so ever.   

Crghss

I flew for 1st time with gun in the spring. I needed to go to special service line, I was the only one. I filled out paperwork and was done in minutes.

I ate my turkey before I came back. Cooked it the day I shot it. Ate some that night then made sandwiches, tacos or cold over the next 2 days.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

bbcoach

Have flown to Kansas and South Dakota from NC to hunt Rios and Merriams.  Very easy just plan ahead.  Gun in a lockable case, no problems.  Carried on my calls and binos, didn't want them damaged or lost   Meat, tail feathers and beards were frozen before returning.  Bought a rolling cooler from Wally world 20 bucks I believe, everything goes in, taped it up with duct tape and was part of our checked baggage.  With the airlines charging for everything, it may not be cost effective now.  Driving vs Flying I prefer flying for anything over a 10-12 hour drive.  If you have buddies going from the same area then by all means drive (cheaper but time consuming).  As you said, travel is part of the hunting experience.  Flying isn't hard just plan ahead and add a little more time for doing your gun paperwork and check in.  Driving is Great with buddies (a lot cheaper when you split cost but will definitely increase your travel time).

ChiefBubba

I fly every year someplace to hunt. Give yourself an hour and a half before your flight to check in the gun at the very least. 2 hours is best. It can sometimes be a hassle. Use a very good case like the Pelican and if it has a hole for a lock put a lock on it. Use your own locks and not those cheap TSA locks. I usually fly with a small soft cooler and put any meat, beard's and tail feathers in that and carry it in my carry on bag or checked wherever I have room. I once fly home with a Goose in my checked bag I was having mounted. No problems at all, actually got a few laughs from the X-Ray girls and they showed me all the pellets in it. Plan ahead and it's not too much of a hassle. Bubba

Yoder409

Flew to Mexico.  Didn't take my own gun, so.............

Flew to Nebraska one time.  Drove another.  I have no problem driving 1000 interstate miles in a day.  Won't fly again.  Half the fun IS getting there !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

deerhunt1988

Flew for the first time last spring, a lot easier than I expected. From now on if my hunt is more than a ~15 hour or so drive, i'm flying. I froze my turkey breasts with dry ice and brought back 6 breasts in my carry-on. Wrapped them up good with clothes for insulation. 17 hours later, they were just starting to thaw with the outside getting a little mushy. It got some funny looks when it passed through the x-ray machine and I had to open it to show em, but all was good!

Mr. Nasty

Thanks so much for replies. Was a big help

mullet dredge

Dave Owens of the Pinhoti Project made a very helpful video on this exact subject a while back. He seems to have it dialed in....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WPfiJWPbnHQ

Mr. Nasty

Thanks for posting video. Enjoyed watching it. That guy knows his stuff.

PharmHunter

Flying is very easy with firearms if it's further than you want to drive.  You can also be hunting the same day you arrive and leave if you plan accordingly.
Getting there is half the fun...quickly with a couple bourbons on the flight ;)!

Muzzy61

Flying can be easier and makes more sense, that being said I always drive.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr