OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Lonnie Mabry Boxes  (Read 2581 times)

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
Lonnie Mabry Boxes
« on: November 10, 2019, 07:38:14 AM »
Had a awesome visit with Mr Mabry last Friday he is a true southern gentleman and turkey hunting legend.

One of the nicest guys you will ever meet and just to hear his stories is worth the drive.

Picked up a trio of boxes with walnut lids including a butternut, black limba and a cedar all with distinctive different tones.

Picked up a couple of cane yelpers also that have a lot of turkey in em.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:05:28 AM by va longbeard »

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Lonnie Mabry Boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 07:41:45 AM »
couple more pics

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 09:03:05 AM »
Hope one day I can make it there myself. Like all those boxes but really like the looks of the middle one.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 09:12:37 AM »
Hope one day I can make it there myself. Like all those boxes but really like the looks of the middle one.

That's a black limba box.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 09:19:15 AM »

That's a black limba box.
Very nice. If I can make turkey trot this year I want to get a darker box from Marlin, I think it is less likely to be seen moving that way when hunting than my brighter yellow box. I may be over thinking it though, I tend to do that.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 09:48:17 AM »
Nice haul....Sometime when my wife asks where I want to go on vacation I'm going to have a hidden agenda with 2 callmakers in mind and a nice hotel with plenty of shopping close by for her.. ;D

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 09:59:49 AM »
Nice haul....Sometime when my wife asks where I want to go on vacation I'm going to have a hidden agenda with 2 callmakers in mind and a nice hotel with plenty of shopping neat by for her.. ;D

If you like trumpets too Mr Billy Buice is only 5 minutes from Mr Mabry's house hard to pick a better trip to see two  legendary call makers.

First time I have ever been to a call makers shop personally it want be my last time to do that.

We played tons of calls spend the whole day taking time playing calls picking the ones we like the best a great all around experience, different then buying calls at shows.

Funniest story was from Mr Mabry he told us there were two guys that offered him tons of money to ship them calls he refused and said come visit me.  The guys eventually came to his shop and picked out several calls to purchase.  Mr Mabry put the calls under his bench and said well gentleman I am going to pick some other calls out for you and ship em to you.  He said the guys jaws drooped open in disbelief and said but we like the ones we picked out better.  He told em see why I wanted you come to my shop I want you to be happy with what you buy and sold them the calls they picked out.

Learned tons from both of them including hunting tactics and turkey call history (Mr Buice is like an encyclopedia in that area).

Online Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 01:15:43 PM »
Two fine gentlemen for sure.

Course, all of us from that area are fine folks :TooFunny:

Online Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »
His longboxes are great also, I didn't see one in your picture

Offline Chuck1443

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 08:04:38 PM »
I tricked the wife into stopping by Lonnie’s on our way to Florida for vacation this past summer.
The 7hr drive to his house was pleasant, we talked kids, grandkids, future plans.
The 4hr visit with Lonnie was great! I picked up a couple pot calls , couple boxes and a scratch box.
The other 8hr drive to our destination was the worst 8hrs of my life!! She finally settled we boarded our ship. Was it worth it?....absolutely! I’d do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[ulr=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url][=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/157301774@N04/][/url]

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 08:42:15 PM »
I tricked the wife into stopping by Lonnie’s on our way to Florida for vacation this past summer.
The 7hr drive to his house was pleasant, we talked kids, grandkids, future plans.
The 4hr visit with Lonnie was great! I picked up a couple pot calls , couple boxes and a scratch box.
The other 8hr drive to our destination was the worst 8hrs of my life!! She finally settled we boarded our ship. Was it worth it?....absolutely! I’d do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:TooFunny: My wife would kill me... ;D

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 03:36:09 AM »
 :z-guntootsmiley:
couple more pics
  Been a couple years since I visited Lonnie, good to see he is doing well thanks for sharing the pictures.

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 02:05:08 PM »
Fine Gentleman.

Love listening to his stories. That man is more than a call maker hes a killer.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 04:20:39 PM »
Those are some fine looking calls ...