OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TSS chokes - something special about them?  (Read 6884 times)

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
TSS chokes - something special about them?
« on: November 07, 2019, 12:24:50 PM »
What’s really special about the choke for TSS? I mean tighter for sure, well usually, but beyond that. What makes a tube a tss choke? I see a choke for Longbeard shells. Another for Hevi-shot. One that’s best for lead. I can’t help but wonder if this is a way to get more of my money.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
Re: TSS chokes - something special about them?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 02:27:35 PM »
alot of it is marketing.   :icon_thumright:

only time we had to make a change was with the Federal FCW. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 08:31:37 AM »
I have discovered that shooting TSS does not require super tight choke. when I shot it through my 12ga's I found the factory full chokes did just fine, where an Indian Creek and a TrueLock did just a tad better.  Moving to the 20 and TSS, I do use one of Williams chokes and it does very well, again super tight is not required to produce superior patterns.   I have a SX3 long Beard that produces great patterns with the factory choke.  I guess it is all depends on the hunter.. 
Don't gobble at me...

Offline Cutt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 09:48:24 AM »
What’s really special about the choke for TSS?

I wondered the same thing after picking up a sa-459 and looking at choke options.

A good example, as many like the Carlson's Ext. Turkey .575 for TSS #7 0r 9's, but Carlson's site recommends the TSS  Choke .555  Where they claim they already did the work for you and this is the best option for TSS 7 0r 9's? Knowing many like the cheap .575, the more expensive .555 seems awful tight?

Offline DrDirtNap

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 07:22:01 PM »

I wondered the same thing after picking up a sa-459 and looking at choke options.

A good example, as many like the Carlson's Ext. Turkey .575 for TSS #7 0r 9's, but Carlson's site recommends the TSS  Choke .555  Where they claim they already did the work for you and this is the best option for TSS 7 0r 9's? Knowing many like the cheap .575, the more expensive .555 seems awful tight?

I have an SA459 and my choke is a IC 562.  Throws a nice even pattern with 9 hand loads.  I could see where the 555 might be a good choice if you like a “hot core” pattern.   I tried a Carlson 575 and it wasn’t even close to throwing a tight enough pattern for me.   Just points to the fact that every gun shoots a little different. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SKFOOTER

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 07:53:01 PM »

The Federal TSS loads like a tighter choke due to the Flight Control Flex Wad.  Their 12 gauge TSS choke is a .640.

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 03:00:51 PM »

The Federal TSS loads like a tighter choke due to the Flight Control Flex Wad.  Their 12 gauge TSS choke is a .640.

I thought, and I don’t know very darn much, the whole point of the flight control wad was to keep the pattern tighter at longer distances, so why the need for a tighter choke??

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 10:40:18 PM »
With tss about any choke works as long as you don't over choke it.  Now some will work better.  I shoot a Jebs .665 and I can get tighter patterns with a tighter choke but I'm 320-350/10" so I see no need to.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 10:53:24 PM »
I shoot a jellyhead. 660 and it's almost too tight inside 25. That tss choke is .640 that's crazy tight out of my rig
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.