OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mailing gun off for dipping  (Read 1924 times)

Offline macobb

Mailing gun off for dipping
« on: November 06, 2019, 09:44:54 PM »
I am going to be mailing my new Affinity off to be dipped. From AL to GA. Anyone that has mailed one and can fill me in on how they did it would be greatly appreciated
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Mailing gun off for dipping
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 12:08:52 PM »
It’s new so you probably still have the box. I sent one in for my son several years ago. I’m pretty sure we used UPS. Check their rules. It wasn’t a big deal.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 01:44:50 PM »
I do not know who you are dealing with but know it is not Tarjac by the location but wanted to point out that Tarjac charges a fee to dissemble and resemble the firearm.

You can disassemble the firearm yourself and send it to Tarjac that way to avoid that fee, I do not know if that is an option for the company you are dealing with but it may be something you may want to find out. Best of luck to you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 06:52:23 PM »
As mentioned use the original box if you can. If not find a sturdy cardboard box and use plenty of bubble wrap. Definitely take it apart no need to send the trigger assembly or internal parts that won’t be dipped also recoil pad etc. I have mailed several guns with the Post office never had a problem. DO NOT put anything on the box that identifies it as a firearm if you want it to reach its destination. There is no law or rule that says you have to tell the Post office your mailing a gun. They will ask if your mailing anything fragile, liquid perishable. There are rules on mailing Ammo, batteries or any kind of gun powder etc. but not guns. You don’t need an FFL to send or receive a firearm that has been sent for repair/work.
        Get insurance enough to cover buying a new gun period. When you tell them you want insurance and it’s fragile they usually put a couple stickers on the box and stamp fragile all over it. I’ve found if you buy 800.00 worth of insurance they will take care of the package and it will arrive don’t get insurance and your package will be tossed in the Maybe pile. Probably cost $20-30$ one way with insurance.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 10:33:45 PM »
From what my postmaster told me, it's illegal to carry a firearm on postal property. This includes law enforcement. I wouldn't chance shipping a firearm USPS. I know Longbeard said he did it and I have no reason to doubt that he did. Maybe he just got away with it. Fed. government isn't known for it leniency regarding firearms violations so I'd error on the side of caution. I'm sure if it truly IS illegal, it would likely be a felony charge. If you have a felony charge in one state, it applies to ALL states. No more firearms ownership for you!
What I did (now keep in mind, I don't live in a free state) was take the arm to a UPS hub center. You can call and ask their policy. It shipped from there. A firearms dealer with an FFL can also ship it for you but I would assume there would be a fee.
Anyone with an FFL can ship it directly to you on return.
When you fill out UPS paperwork, state that you're shipping it for repairs.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:03:25 AM by sixbird »

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 11:30:39 AM »
I’m pretty sure when they say carry on to USPS property they mean unboxed or concealed. There is a lot of misunderstanding about gun laws. And each state has different laws individually which makes it even more complicated. For example in La there is no law against open carry in other words you can have a gun holstered on your side and walk around town. Unless the place of business strictly prohibits this with a sign at the door. Places like Walmart and of course all Federal buildings have a sign at the door. Now saying that walking around with a holstered gun can be asking for trouble from some do gooder or uninformed low paid civil servant that will cause you a lot of grief  until you can have the law explained to them lol.
      If your truly worried call the post office and ask but your just as likely to get an answer from someone that doesn’t know and tells you what they think, not what the law says.
    Looking up the ATF laws and the ATF would be the one coming to arrest you lol. Handguns can’t be mailed at the USPS long guns (rifles,shotguns) can be mailed to anyone in your state. Or mailed to anyone in another state that has a FFL. Most gun dippers have an FFL or should. You don’t have to go thru the FFL paper work again to mail it just has to be a FFL holder to receive it.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 11:38:30 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »
USPS is fine for long guns - just package them ahead of time.  USPS Registered Mail is what is generally used for very high end guns or any other high value item and it is the USPS recommendation but not required for any long gun.  Those items get special handling and recording at each step in the transit:

Tracking service begins from the time the sender presents the mail to the Postal Service to the point of delivery. An accountable individual must sign for the Registered Mail piece each time it changes hands and each intermediary office must prepare control logs. Registered Mail pieces also require specific packaging and sealing methods for security and protection. When not in transit, Registered Mail pieces must be stored in a locked safe, room, or cage separated from other mail.

I have an inexpensive Plano gun case and the box it came in to ship firearms.  It has gotten multiple uses over the years.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Mailing gun off for dipping
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 02:41:40 PM »
I shipped my 1187 to tarmac via UPS. Got $600 in insurance and it was about $30 each way.  I tore mine apart and just sent the barrel, barrel nut, receiver, and stock. Someone will have to sign for it when it is shipped back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline macobb

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 10:42:32 AM »
I ended up going with UPS paid $25 each way for insurance and shipping and $200 to dip it. Got it back last week and it looks awesome. Thanks for all the tips. I just called a couple UPS stores one told me they couldn’t ship it the other just told me when the close and would love to have my business. It amazes me still how someone hears firearm or gun and just panic.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

Offline Flounder

• Field Rep for Collard Patch Camo
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 03:45:38 PM »
I packaged my "machine parts" before I mailed UPS and got enough insurance to cover the price of a new gun.

Offline gaswamp

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 04:10:54 PM »
tag

Online CALLM2U

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 07:27:36 PM »
I had a worker ask me one time what was in the box and I told them some nice walnut wood and stainless pipe. ;D