OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Long quest for this buck

Started by Sixes, November 06, 2019, 09:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixes

I know this is a turkey forum, but this is the first buck in a long time that really got me excited after the kill. here is the story.

This is a buck that I have gotten on camera and hunted for the last 4 years.I first noticed him as a 3 year old and quickly saw how he did not like to show up in day light. I saw him once as a 3.5 years old and it was at/after dark. I drew and could not make out my sights, I never thought that it would take 3 more years to see him again.

Fast forward thru the years. I never saw him during shooting hours and in the 3 years since the first time him, I only had him on camera during daylight hours 3 times out of hundreds of video.  One year, he showed in January during daylight and last year, he showed on Christmas Eve morning and about a week later, he showed up right after daybreak on camera.

He is not the biggest racked buck, never was, but he was slick and a survivor.

I had videos in September, none for almost all of October and then on the 30th and 31st, he showed on video two mornings in a row at 430, so I knew he was in the area.

This morning, I climbed up a little after 6 and saw 4 small bucks cruising throughout the morning. I have to work this evening, so I knew the cutoff was 1030 or so, and to my amazement, at a few minutes before 9, I saw him step out on an old road bed, angling to me, but appeared to have saw something he didn't like and got nervous. I took the slight quartering to shot and saw the lighted nock spin around when the buck took off.  I waited a few minutes, eased down and walked over to the shot. The ground was torn up, but didn't see any blood (but I am color blind and struggle with blood).  I eased out the trail where I saw him run and about 60 yards away, I saw the glowing nock. I walked over and scanned down the steep hill to the bottom and saw a big white belly laying in the branch. It's the first time in a long time that I had to call and get some help.

This buck has given me fits over the years and I'm both glad and sad that it is over.

Resized_20191105_105410 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

Resized_20191105_093400[30] by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

davisd9

That is awesome!  Congratulations on the buck, but I am sure you will miss the chase.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

redjones

Semper Fi

Yoteduster

Good story and a Very nice buck congrats and thanks for sharing

3bailey3

Spring Fever

Muzzy61

Congrats. Nice buck, thanks for sharing the hunt.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Yoder409

Congrats on a good deer and a good story !!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

catdaddy

bobk

Jimmyj

Greg Massey

Chris O