OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey Scope  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Tucker3474

Turkey Scope
« on: November 03, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »
I am going to a Scope type optic this year. Red dots don’t work for me due to my astigmatism. Looking for recommendations and experience with scopes on your Turkey Killers. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dms2511

Re: Turkey Scope
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 06:48:18 PM »
My eyes aren’t what they use to be either, so I also turned to scopes on turkey guns. My favorite is the Nikon Turkeypro, but it is no longer produced and if you can find one they bring a ridiculous price. I’ve also had good luck with Leupolds and the Bushnell with turkey reticles. I’m sure you will hear good things about the Simmons, as I think they are popular with several OG members.  I had bad luck with the Weaver, as the reticle in mine couldn’t handle the recoil and broke and wouldn’t hold zero. Additionally, it took Weaver a year to send me a replacement as the scope was under warranty. Regardless, I gave it to a friend that has been using it on his 20 gauge for the past 3 season and he loves it.  Perhaps I had a bad scope, it happens?

I think scopes are an item that is typically in the “you get what you pay for” category.  Be sure to invest in a nice set of rings as well, because we all know turkeyloads usually pack a good recoil.

https://thetacticalscopes.com/best-shotgun-scope-for-turkey-hunting/

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 10:10:00 PM »
This will be 25 years of having a scoped turkey gun, mine is the Bushnell Circle-X 1.75 - 4, I like the "ranging" feature of the scope.

I call it the "Circle of Death"

MK M GOBL

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 11:40:21 PM »
I have a Turkey Plex by Leupold I like. I would suggest it if you can find one.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 11:50:38 PM »
Agree one of the best is the Nikon Turkey Pro, if you can find one at reasonable price , some other good ones are the Bushnell , Simmons pro diamond , also if you buy i would suggest the low power ones like 1 - 1.75 etc..

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 03:55:50 PM »
I also have astigmatism so I know what’s it like to have a red dot look like a blurry burst. When I was looking for my first turkey gun optic last year, I opted for a Vortex Spitfire. Even though you can illuminate the reticle, I can still see it clearly. And the nice thing about the etched reticle vs typical red dots is you don’t necessarily have to illuminate, it still functions as a normal reticle since it’s etched into the glass.

Offline WyoHunter

• Double Beard
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 07:57:02 PM »
This will be 25 years of having a scoped turkey gun, mine is the Bushnell Circle-X 1.75 - 4, I like the "ranging" feature of the scope.

I call it the "Circle of Death"

MK M GOBL
Great scope imo. I've had one on a 12 and one on a 20 for 20 years. Holds zero and I really like the reticle.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 09:03:47 AM »
Though this thread is several months old I thought I would post just in case the OP has not set up his rig for the spring yet.

I have more experience with and prefer red dot sights.  That being said I do have one scope for turkey hunting.  Had it mounted on a Rem. 870 SM.  It's a Simmons Pro Diamond 2 x 32.  Killed one gobbler with it.  Worked really well.   I  actually had two of them at one point.  Gave one to a friend of mine when he wanted to get serious about turkey hunting.

The other one is the NWTF version.  I currently have it mounted on my Knight TK 2000 12 ga. muzzleloader. I really like it on this firearm.  One shot.  Make it count.

You may be able to find one on the used market.  They have not made the 2X version for quite some time.  I really like the low magnification and the reticle.  Good luck with your selection.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline minelabbob

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 09:56:04 AM »
I am looking for a compact 2-3x power with a circle dot no more than 5in. long for my sxp. $200 or under
any ideas out there.
     thx  bob

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 12:25:09 PM »
Weaver Kasper Series. Made for turkey, it has a camo finish. It has magnification, I believe 1.75-4 power. Great optics, not too big. Good luck...
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 12:26:26 PM »
Clarification, it is the Weaver Kaspa Series. It ha a 30 mm tube.
“Solo hunter”

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 07:12:22 AM »
I am looking for a compact 2-3x power with a circle dot no more than 5in. long for my sxp. $200 or under
any ideas out there.
     thx  bob

I don’t think you’ll find many options For 2-3 power especially at 200. They will most likely be way under. You can often get em under 100. They aren’t sexy enough for most guys and there’s limited market.
I bought mine on clearance for 20 bucks believe it or not. It’s on an ulti mag and w only 1 season on it there’s been no problem.
To add a fixed 4 will be as cheap, easier to find though still very limited. You’ll have no problems even up close w it if that was a concern