OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Not a stud by the definition of many.  (Read 4817 times)

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Not a stud by the definition of many.
« on: November 03, 2019, 07:11:15 AM »
I’ve let deer this size walk the past several years on the farm I hunt locally. Most times they get cracked by one of the neighbors. It generally leads me to some head shaking and beating myself up but you can’t protect them. Yesterday evening I was in the same field my daughter killed her deer. 3 weeks ago I’d seen a good one over there but had no shot.

FF to yesterday. Morning hunt was short cuz I had to get back to work. Splitting headache had me debating on going in the evening but seeing some chasing kinda swayed me and the wife gave me the green light.

Sneak into the tree and 10 minutes later a couple does came out. This started a parade. 14 bucks hit the field and 6 of them were young 8 pointers between 1.5-2.5 y/o. Then the buck from 3 weeks ago popped out. Since I’d seen him last he’d broken his main beam just past his g2 on the left side. He was wide and heavy with decent mass but I let him go just to find myself wishing I hadn’t. When the good 2.5 y/o 8 came back to check a doe beneath me I seriously considered just ending things. Held out until he neared the edge of my comfortable bow range. As I started to flip the switch and go to kill mode, he looked into the woods edge then trotted off. I glanced over and thought it was one of the better 8’s with a busted g2 so I put my bow back on its hanger and leaned back. Then he hit the field and I realized it wasn’t the buck I’d already seen. Needless to say, I frantically grabbed my bow and launched an arrow. The rest is history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Mathews.1

• Longbeard
Re: Not a stud by the definition of many.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 07:19:49 AM »
Congratulations

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 07:31:45 AM »
That’s a great deer!!! Nothing wrong with taking him!! Every person should be the one who decides which deer is right for them shoot. Roger Raglin  is one of my favorite hunting shows because he promotes this way of hunting . Every person has different wants and expectations out of a hunt . It seems there is way too much peer pressure on only taking mature bucks.My son’s first bow deer I posted is a prime example. He just needed to get a deer with a bow to get some experience, it was totally the right deer for him. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us

Offline Mtd69

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 07:37:32 AM »
congratulations on a nice buck

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 07:58:08 AM »
Congratulations on a fine deer.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 09:27:17 AM »
Nice buck, congrats

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 09:36:19 AM »
Congrats..Usually shotgunning when i let one go like that sometimes its laying at the other end of our deer drive..
The only good thing is that in our group whoever shoots a buck each day buys supper/drinks for everyone else in the group so it cost him dearly if a good steak house is open. Lol..
We do this to deter shooting smaller bucks in our group. You can eat/drink real good for free for 4 or 5 days if you get real picky.. ;D

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 09:36:52 AM »
Wow. That is a bruiser by my standards. Are you getting him done?

Congrats!

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 09:50:21 AM »

Congrats!
You’re about the 6th person to ask. Lol.
I’m not certain he’s wall material honestly. It’s the biggest I’ve ever killed so far but I’m just not sure he’s worth $500-$700 at this point. Def going to do a euro mount at least. My wife and I have been talking. She gave me the go ahead to get it mounted after she saw it but I’d like to see if I can get one in the 135”-140” range before I get it mounted. Very thankful for this one. But with taking the girls to Disney next week and already hearing the vacuum on my wallet for that trip, it just isn’t smart I don’t think. Gotta get the HVAC unit checked out. Truck payments. Christmas coming. I’m gonna check with one guy that’s about the cheapest I know, and he does a great job for what he charges. Just a hobby for him. Depending on his current pricing, I might. But otherwise, just a euro mount.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 09:59:21 AM »

Congrats!
I’m not certain he’s wall material honestly. It’s the biggest I’ve ever killed so far but I’m just not sure he’s worth $500-$700 at this point. Def going to do a euro mount at least. My wife and I have been talking. She gave me the go ahead to get it mounted after she saw it but I’d like to see if I can get one in the 135”-140” range before I get it mounted. Very thankful for this one. But with taking the girls to Disney next week and already hearing the vacuum on my wallet for that trip, it just isn’t smart I don’t think. Gotta get the HVAC unit checked out. Truck payments. Christmas coming. I’m gonna check with one guy that’s about the cheapest I know, and he does a great job for what he charges. Just a hobby for him. Depending on his current pricing, I might. But otherwise, just a euro mount.

Euros are neat...Had one done on a buck my son shot and then they dipped the skull in camo. It turned out neat.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 10:12:49 AM »

Congrats!

Euros are neat...Had one done on a buck my son shot and then they dipped the skull in camo. It turned out neat.
I agree

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 10:58:33 AM »
Ain't NO WAY that I'm leaving that deer walk !!!

CONGRATS !!!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Jimmyj

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 11:08:27 AM »
Nice deer!!!

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 11:49:59 AM »
Huge buck in my book, congratulations to you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 02:26:24 PM »
Congrats...nice buck!

I doubt will ever get another shoulder mount. There are a lot things you can do with a Euro mount and they take up a lot less space. I could hang 4-5 Euro mounts in the space that my one(only) shoulder mount takes.