OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lonnie Mabry Pot

Started by Sir-diealot, October 29, 2019, 01:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: MDTOM84 on October 29, 2019, 06:53:37 PM
I have a cedar slate from him that is still the best sounding Grey slate I have ever heard. With a persimmon or yellow heart striker it's pure death.
A cedar pot is one I am interested in. I ended up with 2 persimmon strikers this year and really like the way they sound on slate for sure. Thank you for the reply.

Of all the one's I tried, I liked his Walnut and Hackberry the best. I know you don't want Walnut, and last time I was around his shop he didn't have any Hackberry, but that was a long time ago.
[/quote]
I was trying to find info on his pots on Google and his Hackberry pots came up a lot. I think I called them hackleberry above. Thanks for the reply.

Quote from: MDTOM84 on October 29, 2019, 06:57:47 PM
Cedar slate
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fine looking call and turkey. Is that a Halloran striker? If so which one? I have an one piece Ipe from him I love.

Quote from: larry9988 on October 29, 2019, 08:27:24 PM
I have a cherry, walnut and cedar slate from Mr. Lonnie and just really does not matter which one you get , they are all good. I went to his shop and played  all he had  and I would have been fine with any one I played. They are not fancy, but they play fancy.

Sound is what matters. Thanks for the reply.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Good luck with your Lonnie pot ....

MDTOM84

It's a Halloran wormy persimmon

3bailey3

I know every one talks about his slate calls but this glass is a smoker

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on October 29, 2019, 08:46:52 PM
Good luck with your Lonnie pot ....

Thanks Greg.

Quote from: MDTOM84 on October 29, 2019, 09:07:11 PM
It's a Halloran wormy persimmon
Is that a special order one? I have only seen a few on his site and that was not one of them.

Quote from: 3bailey3 on October 29, 2019, 09:19:39 PM
I know every one talks about his slate calls but this glass is a smoker
That's a fine looking piece of wood right there.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sixes

Lonnie also make a great aluminum pot. He also sells his pots with 2 strikers. Ipe is always a good choice for any of his pots. I bought one of his pecan slates last year, sounds great

Upfold99

Any of them will be great. If its not he doesn't put it on the shelf. I doubt he will have any hackberry. Cedar is post popular and his glass is different then most. You can tell when you hold the pot.

A fine gentleman and turkey killer. I love talking with him and listening to his stories.

Next time I make the drive I will get a longbox for sure.

wchadw

I actually have a pecan slate w striker. I would like to trade for a cedar if anyone wants to swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sixes on October 29, 2019, 11:05:20 PM
Lonnie also make a great aluminum pot. He also sells his pots with 2 strikers. Ipe is always a good choice for any of his pots. I bought one of his pecan slates last year, sounds great
Funny, I had told the person that if they were not over 30 I wanted a Ipe striker, maybe the call will come with one. I have 2 Ipe strikers I really like but would like to try another as well.

Quote from: Upfold99 on October 30, 2019, 07:11:25 AM
Any of them will be great. If its not he doesn't put it on the shelf. I doubt he will have any hackberry. Cedar is post popular and his glass is different then most. You can tell when you hold the pot.

A fine gentleman and turkey killer. I love talking with him and listening to his stories.

Next time I make the drive I will get a longbox for sure.

Thanks, yea ceder is one of my choices, I would like Hackberry, Cedar, Mahogany, Cherry in that order if I am able. Only can get one at this time, wish I could do more.

John Koenig:

AT

Cedar, pecan, Asian cedar, cherry, walnut and mahogany are all good from Mr. Lonnie!!

Beards and Hooks

I have visited Lonnie twice and hope to do so again, great guy love hearing his stories. Then his calls are even better and priced really nice, just have to watch getting water on em they will fade. The moist fun i have ever had talking turkey is when I made those two trips, if you ever get a chance to go give yourself alot of time I went and if memory serves me correctly I was there 6 and 8 hours visiting Lonnie chatting and picking out calls.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: AT on October 31, 2019, 10:26:55 PM
Cedar, pecan, Asian cedar, cherry, walnut and mahogany are all good from Mr. Lonnie!!
Thank you. I do not believe I have ever heard of Asian Cedar.

Quote from: Beards and Hooks on November 01, 2019, 04:11:47 AM
  I have visited Lonnie twice and hope to do so again, great guy love hearing his stories. Then his calls are even better and priced really nice, just have to watch getting water on em they will fade. The moist fun i have ever had talking turkey is when I made those two trips, if you ever get a chance to go give yourself alot of time I went and if memory serves me correctly I was there 6 and 8 hours visiting Lonnie chatting and picking out calls.

If ever I can I will for sure. I hear he is quite the man to chat with.

John Koenig:

3bailey3

hey guys I have this striker from Lonnie that has PS on it, the best striker I own period, makes every call I have way better, can anyone tell me what it is?

AT

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 3bailey3 on November 01, 2019, 08:52:25 PM
hey guys I have this striker from Lonnie that has PS on it, the best striker I own period, makes every call I have way better, can anyone tell me what it is?

Quote from: AT on November 01, 2019, 09:02:14 PM
I would say persimmon!!

That was my first thought as well.

John Koenig: