OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Lonnie Mabry Pot  (Read 8202 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Lonnie Mabry Pot
« on: October 29, 2019, 01:55:11 PM »
I have the ability to get a Lonnie Mabry Pot but was looking for suggestions. My thoughts were Mahogany and slate, Cherry Slate or Ceder slate, all over glass if available I guess, but I am willing to be educated on that if there is something better. I have read about his hackleberry I believe it was called but I understand he is out of that wood, though the thing I found on that was back in 2015 I think so maybe he has more. Oh mesquite would be another wood I would like to try. Only getting one by the way, just looking for comments on my ideas and suggestions. I want to stick with slate though. I am open to slate color if Mr. Mabry is?

I do not know what all he makes, I have just heard a lot of good about his pot calls in particular.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 02:39:41 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
Re: Lonnie Mabry Pot
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 02:04:57 PM »
Lonnie does most all his slate calls with a wooden sound board I believe. Every slate combo I have had from him was that way, but they were all outstanding calls as well. Haven't had one  that I didn't like.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 02:27:46 PM »
Lonnie does most all his slate calls with a wooden sound board I believe. Every slate combo I have had from him was that way, but they were all outstanding calls as well. Haven't had one  that I didn't like.
I saw mention of a wooden soundboard in what I read but did not know that was an exclusive thing. I am fine with that, always like to try something I have not tried before. Thanks for letting me know.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 02:47:59 PM »
Of his slate caller that I have played my favorite is gray slate in a cedar pot.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »
Of his slate caller that I have played my favorite is gray slate in a cedar pot.
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking maybe that or cedar red slate.

John Koenig:

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »
Mr. Mabry does his pots more traditional.  You will not find a huge selection of all the new fads, but you will find a turkey killing call.  His cedar slate is about the best there is out there.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 04:01:00 PM »
Mr. Mabry does his pots more traditional.  You will not find a huge selection of all the new fads, but you will find a turkey killing call.  His cedar slate is about the best there is out there.
I am fine with traditional, that is why I have named the woods I have and also why I am interested in slate for all the woods. Glad to hear that one of my choices is a good idea. Thanks for the reply.

John Koenig:

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »
My favorite is his walnut slate over cherry soundboard.  Runs great with his yellowheart striker.  That one used to call a lot of birds before it was replaced by..............
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 05:17:37 PM »
My favorite is his walnut slate over cherry soundboard.  Runs great with his yellowheart striker.  That one used to call a lot of birds before it was replaced by..............
Thanks for the reply. I would consider walnut but I have an arrangement to get a walnut from Daddy rat in March.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:32:37 PM by Sir-diealot »

John Koenig:

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 06:06:26 PM »
I have a walnut slate from Lonnie that is as good as a grey slate gets and that is comparing it to two Paul Platz slates and a wood Dawkins I have in my collection.

I have played his cedar and its great also, I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you wind up with.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 06:38:11 PM »
I have a walnut slate from Lonnie that is as good as a grey slate gets and that is comparing it to two Paul Platz slates and a wood Dawkins I have in my collection.

I have played his cedar and its great also, I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you wind up with.
Thanks for the reply. Like I told KentuckyHeadhunter I have already made a deal with Daddy rat to get a Walnut from him in March. I would like to try something new to me.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:33:15 PM by Sir-diealot »

John Koenig:

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 06:53:37 PM »
I have a cedar slate from him that is still the best sounding Grey slate I have ever heard. With a persimmon or yellow heart striker it's pure death.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 06:56:33 PM »
Of all the one's I tried, I liked his Walnut and Hackberry the best. I know you don't want Walnut, and last time I was around his shop he didn't have any Hackberry, but that was a long time ago.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 06:57:47 PM »
Cedar slate

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 08:27:24 PM »
I have a cherry, walnut and cedar slate from Mr. Lonnie and just really does not matter which one you get , they are all good. I went to his shop and played  all he had  and I would have been fine with any one I played. They are not fancy, but they play fancy.