OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Soft Recoiling Turkey Gun

Started by Rbros, October 25, 2019, 11:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbros

Looking at finally getting a dedicated turkey gun.  Will be going 20 ga this time around.  As much as I would like to run a M2, not sure it will work out.  Have a couple of herniated disks in my neck, so recoil is a slight concern.  Looking for something low in recoil.  A lot of guys say the SA-459 is low recoil, wondering how the SX4 is working out.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Ozarks Hillbilly

I think with low recoil TSS shells you would be fine with any gas operated auto.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

vaplowboy

I have an m2 20g and my daughter killed 2 turkeys with it last year. She never mentioned the recoil. I've not experienced any noticeable recoil with it regardless of what shell I use. She shoots tss 9s.

Spurs Up

Quote from: davisd9 on October 25, 2019, 11:36:34 AM
Beretta A400 Lite Synthetic

Excellent recommendation if you don't mind dropping some $$$.

Oconeeguy

I am still fond of my old Remington 1100 and for turkeys, 1187. Sweet and soft shooting gas operated guns. Got my 1100 in 1970 and it still shoots like new. Have two 1187s from mid and early 1990s and they shoot 3" shells softer than a lot of guns. They make a 20 gauge 1187 that won't break the bank. Why pay a lot more for marginal benefits ?

Hoot 000

I have Benelli ,Winchester ,Beretta and Remington shotguns, I just bought a TriStar 20 gauge 26 inch barrel 300 20 bucks out the door, Indian Creek choke TSS dead turkey

Hook hanger

With herniated disks I would still go with a light 20 (m2, affinity, and such). Gas 20ga guns are almost a pound heavier. And in my opinion reduced recoil is more from thier weight. A franchi affinity shooting 1 3/8 oz tss will kill alot farther than you should shoot them the extra 1/4oz in a 1 5/8oz is just more recoil added to the equation.

BandedSpur

People have their favorite action type and gun and will deny that they kick more. But if you are serious about soft recoiling guns, when you compare the same load in each, a gas operated auto will have lower peak recoil than any other action type. And obviously, the heavier the gun, the lighter the recoil. It's really that simple.

I went to Argentina bird hunting back in the late 90s. Before the trip I bought a Rem. 1100 20 ga that weighed an astonishing 8 lbs. It was the heaviest 20 ga I have ever seen and also the lightest recoiling 20 that you could imagine. Comes in handy when shooting case after case of shells or heavy turkey loads. But it is not a gun I would enjoy carrying very far.