OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Field and Stream Store Closed.  (Read 3380 times)

Offline NCbowjunkie

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Field and Stream Store Closed.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 04:01:11 PM »
I agree with Shannon 100%. And I’m glad Shane provides us a place that we can talk turkey  to like minded people   Great job Shannon

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2019, 05:43:08 PM »
There’s a dicks there as well as the field and stream.
Oh, wonder when that went it?
Dicks has been there for years.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
I was talking about Field and Stream
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 05:48:54 PM »
Old Gobbler "the Uber driver told me Uber  keeps %48 of the fare"

He is doing good, I used to drive cab and the companies kept 60% and would try to keep more if you did not know the law on what they were supposed to pay you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 10:43:53 PM »

My bad. If I remember right sometime around 2014 or 2015. Don't quote me on that though

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 11:50:43 PM »

My bad. If I remember right sometime around 2014 or 2015. Don't quote me on that though

Okay, thanks for the information. Hope the place that buys them is better than Dicks was to them.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 10:02:38 AM by Sir-diealot »

John Koenig:

Offline Devastator

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2019, 05:58:34 AM »
You guy's talking bout the store in Big Flats???

Offline Mathews.1

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2019, 06:15:20 AM »
The town was about a ten to fifteen minute drive from painted Post. Close to a mall where dicks is.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2019, 06:22:11 AM »
The town was about a ten to fifteen minute drive from painted Post. Close to a mall where dicks is.
Yep that's the one. I lived in Corning

Offline Mathews.1

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2019, 07:16:51 AM »

By the way that was my first time in that part of New York and I have to say that is some beautiful country.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »

By the way that was my first time in that part of New York and I have to say that is some beautiful country.
I do miss hunting the hills of NY and PA

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2019, 05:40:55 PM »

I moved here to the Finger Lakes in May of 91 from the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area and it was the best decision I have ever made in my life. I love it here, hate my government though.

John Koenig:

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2019, 06:09:28 PM »
Regardless of political affiliation.....and for the record I cant stand Dicks

Mail order / physical store / web based business are.... either ADAPTING or going the way of the dinosaur , I've seen quite a few smaller operations throw in the towel , go bankrupt or get acquired buy larger competitors

I've watched it for 25 years plus working for UPS ,  smaller chains that kept on with the old" high  overhead " physical location business model and ignored gathering customers emails , text, or home address as a way to generate sales ...bite the dust

At the same time I've watched as some smaller chains "got with the program " and started doing email blitz sales , promotions and shipping web fulfillment  from directly store and utilized idle employes to pick and process orders

Some say in the future....you wont even need a store , just process from your home ....as I and thousands of other call makers do .....cut out the middleman , even cut out Jeff Bezos...high quality right to the customer.

Food for thought ....I just came back from North Dakota from duck and goose hunting...the Uber driver told me Uber  keeps %48 of the fare  .....I know for a fact Walmart tries to keep 50 to 60 % of the full retail...with ridiculous rules and return to vendor contracts ....many of the big box stoes.do the exact same!

I'll throw in my  2 cents here...OG is committed to keep on doing what we have been doing for 12 years now and that is provide a platform for like minded.turkey hunters to have adult conversations about out passion , whilst providing a unequaled place to buy. .. Sell ...trade calls and equipment..  and you keep the $$

Shannon
This is it exactly. My pool business has a storefront. Honestly, it’s a pile of overhead that makes it difficult to keep up with, especially in the winter. The service side, which I prefer personally and do quite a bit of, is the true money maker of the business. Don’t get me wrong, we sell chemicals, some hot tubs, pumps, etc. But, the bottom line is, I can’t compete with the online sales prices. Their typical selling price is sometimes under my cost and is often times not enough over it for me to be remotely competitive. My partners and I have had this discussion many times over. The current thought is to finish out the lease, liquidate the stuff we don’t need and put the rest in storage. Keep the service side (I will anyway) and maximize profit while eliminating a pile of crap on the other end. If you don’t adapt, you might as well join the ranks of the California condor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk