turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Straight Wall Hunting Rifles

Started by Spring Creek Calls, December 16, 2019, 07:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

Michigan now allows straight wall rifle cartridges in the southern zone where shotgun and muzzleloaders were only allowed until 2018. Decided I'd give one a try so I purchased a Savage Axis in 350 Legend. Savage had a $75 rebate on this gun so it made the decision much easier. Mounted a Redfield Revolution 2x7 scope on it and zeroed it at 100 yards. Was able to fill my doe tag with it on my second time out with it. Fast, clean kill with a short easy to follow blood trail. The recoil is barely noticeable compared to my 12 gauge shooting sabot slugs.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

1iagobblergetter

I just heard about these when I was picking up my 45/70 for our Iowa shotgun season.
I didn't have time to get the 45/70 sighted in,but it will be dialed in for next year.  ;D
Good excuse to buy another gun I don't need..Lol..

Greg Massey

That's a real nice setup, I've been hearing good things about that 350 legend, no recoil and pretty flat shooting with that 9 millimeter bullet .. congrats on your new gun and nice deer.. I may get one of the 350 legends myself ..

Mathews.1

I have a ruger American 450 bushmaster. Awesome gun.

wvmntnhick

They had a great idea with this cartridge but I feel they messed it up slightly by going with the 9mm bullet. They should've used the same diameter bullets used for the 35 Remington. I feel that would've given the hand loader more deer adequate options. Having said that, the velocity this things producing and for its intended purpose, it likely won't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stinkpickle

I saw a sale last week on a 350 Legend complete upper.  Tempting...

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: wvmntnhick on December 16, 2019, 09:59:21 AM
They had a great idea with this cartridge but I feel they messed it up slightly by going with the 9mm bullet. They should've used the same diameter bullets used for the 35 Remington. I feel that would've given the hand loader more deer adequate options. Having said that, the velocity this things producing and for its intended purpose, it likely won't matter.

The wide variety of bullet weights (145, 150, 160, 170, 180) and the low cost (as low as $9 for 20) will keep most guys shooting this caliber happy. The Winchester 150 grain Extreme Point runs around a buck cartridge, compared to my Winchester BRI's at $3+ each. The 145 grain FMJ cartridges that I used to sight in the scope were $.50 each.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

stinkpickle

With the stockpile of slugs I've amassed over the years (12ga Win Partition Golds and 20ga Hornady Custom Lites), it makes little sense for me to switch. 

In other words, I will soon make a financially poor decision.  ;)

camotoe

Picked a 450 bushmaster up when we went to Ohio for shotgun deer season .  8 shots and she was set . My son took a doe with it but missed a buck at 30 yards nice lil rig.

kytrkyhntr

Killed my buck this year with a friends ruger ranch chambered in 350 legend. Very impressed with it for what it is. Shot the deer at 100 yards and he didn't make it 20 yards. Very impressed with that rifle. Will be purchasing one myself
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

wvmntnhick

For the little recoil it produces and what it was designed for, I doubt you could beat it. If I didn't already have options comparable in several aspects and were to hunt states that fit the requirements, I'd probably get one as well. At this point, unless I win one, I just don't see it happening. Very glad to see it getting high praises though. Hopefully it'll keep it from being another "flash in the pan."

greencop01

Another excellent cartridge is the Marlin 444 in their lever action rifle. With a scope less than 2 inch 3 shot groups at 200 yds with a 265 grain bullet in the Hornady leverevolution round. A hard hitting round.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!