OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New hunter - am I in over my head or ready for a thrill?  (Read 10491 times)

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: New hunter - am I in over my head or ready for a thrill?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 08:28:34 AM »
Only thing that I would add, is that I think a box call is the easiest call to use and sound realistic on...  The mouth call becomes an important call as you learn to call, but it is probably the most difficult call to learn to use, and to learn to use proficiently.

In my opinion, a decent box call is a must for any beginning hunter, and I still take one or two in my vest.  Easy to learn, realistic, and loud....

Great point, Marc.  Having a good box and/or pot call (also generally/historically called "slate" calls) are essentials for any turkey hunter,...regardless of experience or ability. 

Too often, I think, beginning hunters watch turkey hunting videos and see most of those guys using mouth calls.  Their inclination is to assume that is what they should be using. REALLY bad idea for most new hunters!  Best advice for the new guys is to stick with the easy-to-use friction-type calls until you have mastered mouth calls (or any of the other more difficult to use calling devices).

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
Re: New hunter - am I in over my head or ready for a thrill?
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 04:45:00 PM »
Here's a scouting tip for you. When out driving around on gravel roads looking for birds drive slow and scan the shoulder of the road. The softer soils along the edge of the road is a good place to find turkey tracks. Turkey that cross these roads tend to follow along them for a distance. It will give you a good idea of where to start listening for roost spots early in the mourn. Also, less traveled forest roads can be goods strut zones in areas where clearings are hard to find. Clear cuts are also good areas to look.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.