turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good read

Started by Southerngobbler, October 18, 2019, 07:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngobbler

I think its been said on here before-which prompted me to buy the book and it's worth repeating. I just read the first chapter of Practical Turkey Hunting Strategies by Ray Eye and if that doesn't tear you up a little-your just not human. The price of the book was worth it for that alone. Haven't read the rest of it yet but ill update ya in a week of so.
I will add that I've read-and reread Ray Eye's Turkey Hunting Bible several times and while it's pretty repetitive and there is quite a bit of chest pounding i actually used his supper aggressive tactics to harvest both my North Florida birds about 3 or 4 years ago. On public land. Latter one of my friends heard me calling like that-almost non stop and told me I was wasting my time, I didn't tell him I got both birds last year with that same aggressive calling. Anyways it certainly doesn't always work and hasn't worked in a few years and I'm back to soft calling but every now and then there's a time and a place for it.

tal

Absolutely. I've come to some hard conclusions, that don't necessarily meet conventional wisdom. Birds get real good at picking out almost good enough, that don't make them call shy. If turkeys quit listening  to other turkeys they would be extinct. Older birds can move through the woods like a puff of smoke.

Sir-diealot

I was going to add it to the list but at over $600.00 for a used copy I will have to pass.

Edit: there seems to be more than one version.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Southerngobbler

I paid $4 on Amazon. It was used but in good condition.

Happy

I think Ray eye has some valid arguments. Can't say as I agree with everything he teaches but it works for him. I really dont consider him "aggressive" in any dept other than calling and while he isn't a bad caller I don't see him as a standout in that dept either. My biggest thing with books, DVD's and whatnot is while they are capable of helping someone get a head start I dont think anyone really "gets it" until they find their own groove. Heck I am still working on that aspect and I dont find myself looking at the end of the tunnel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mtns2hunt

The 1.84 copy would work for me. LOL
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.