Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hunting with Dead Ringer Hammock Seat

Started by Sir-diealot, October 17, 2019, 01:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I picked up a Dead Ringer hammock seat and am hoping to use it in the Spring for turkey hunting. I was wondering if anyone here has used one and how it worked for them?

I was happy to get my first turkey this year after around 26 years but to be honest it was to easy in the blind and it kinda took away from it for me if that makes any sense. I have had to hunt from a blind because of my pain and how much I have to stand up and move my legs around but I want to try to get outside the blind but I don't think ground hunting is going to work this Spring, my pain has been increasing again the last few months and if I am going to get outside the blind I have to find a way to do it off the ground. My hope is to maybe sit in this and bring one of those 3 foot blinds to try to cover up leg movement. I think I am going to have to sit in the higher position to relieve pressure from my knees. What is everyone's thoughts on this? I have attached photos to show the different seating positions available with this. Oh I am also going to have to find a way to attach my monopod to the gun, I am just thinking a zip tie fitted a little loose so I can slide the gun barrel in and out of it and I am going to pick up one of the no hands shoulder attachments to add to my vest.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

With your pain problems and with this seat having your butt below your knees , i don't see this working for you in my opinion for a long set. With only killing one turkey and hunting out of blind and thinking it's just to easy, I have to disagree with you it's not always so easy in my opinion with hunting out of a blind. Preparation and putting the time in with scouting , finding birds , patterning and deciding on blind location plays a lot in being successful or not with hunting on the ground or the same with blind placement. Good luck with your seat, i hope it works for you....

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on October 17, 2019, 08:45:36 PM
With your pain problems and with this seat having your butt below your knees , i don't see this working for you in my opinion for a long set. With only killing one turkey and hunting out of blind and thinking it's just to easy, I have to disagree with you it's not always so easy in my opinion with hunting out of a blind. Preparation and putting the time in with scouting , finding birds , patterning and deciding on blind location plays a lot in being successful or not with hunting on the ground or the same with blind placement. Good luck with your seat, i hope it works for you....

Part of what I mean with to easy is I really was allowed a lot of movement in the blind that I could not have gotten away with sitting outside a blind before my accident if that makes any more sense.

You are right about picking the spot, I had seen where they were moving the previous year and that and the intersection if you will on the other side of me is why I chose the place to set the blind, it gave me 5 ways of entry.

The one seating position LOOKS like my knees would be even with my hips, that is why I mentioned that position. I do agree with you though, if my knees are above my waist I have no choice but to stay in a blind.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on October 17, 2019, 10:04:08 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on October 17, 2019, 08:45:36 PM

Part of what I mean with to easy is I really was allowed a lot of movement in the blind that I could not have gotten away with sitting outside a blind before my accident if that makes any more sense.

You are right about picking the spot, I had seen where they were moving the previous year and that and the intersection if you will on the other side of me is why I chose the place to set the blind, it gave me 5 ways of entry.

The one seating position LOOKS like my knees would be even with my hips, that is why I mentioned that position. I do agree with you though, if my knees are above my waist I have no choice but to stay in a blind.
With hunting wild game, ever time you go , it's always a learning experience, so never think it's easy, because if you do , they will make a fool out of you and just show you , it's not so easy, especially with wild turkeys. Sure a blind will give you a way to get away with movement, it's the same if you build yourself a brush blind under a tree or hide in a ditch, it's all about concealment .... Your hiding regardless ...

gobbler777

My rule of thumb: the older you get; the higher the seat. LOLs
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Sir-diealot

Quote from: gobbler777 on February 01, 2020, 08:38:08 PM
My rule of thumb: the older you get; the higher the seat. LOLs
I hear you, this is the seat I use in my blinds and I would suggest it to anyone, back when I was close to 500 lbs. it held me with no problems. I have had it for I guess 15 years and it is still going strong. I bought a second one for another blind last year.

John Koenig:

Pooh4459

I really dont understand you need the blind because your body aches make you move alot but say the blind was to easy because it concealed you moving alot. One turkey in 26 years seems awful far from easy in my opinion.  Seems to me you better keep the blind. It's your preperation and good hunting location that made it seem easy not the blind.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Pooh4459 on February 03, 2020, 06:31:10 AM
I really dont understand you need the blind because your body aches make you move alot but say the blind was to easy because it concealed you moving alot. One turkey in 26 years seems awful far from easy in my opinion.  Seems to me you better keep the blind. It's your preperation and good hunting location that made it seem easy not the blind.
I guess a large part of it is I really do miss being against a tree watching the morning come to life and I want to try to recapture some of that if I can. I remember having a chipmunk run down my head chest and knee and rest on my foot for quite some time trying to figure out what was not quite right about the situation before he finally went right back the way he came. I miss sitting next to a tree in the night and as the morning light came through the woods looking beside me and seeing a spiderweb with the morning dew glistening in the rain the spider curled up on the web still to wet to move, still to me the single most beautiful site I have ever seen out hunting, other than animals of course. I miss that being in a blind, I miss being able to see the sun come up and the colors in the sky during a sunrise and seeing God's world coming to life. The phrase "A blind blinds you" has a lot more meaning than people realize it does and I want to try to recapture what I can if I can because I really do miss it. I don't know if that will make any sense, but it is the only way I can describe it, I miss a lot being in a blind but if it does not work out in a blind I will have to remain.

John Koenig:

Harty

Do some of each. Sit against a tree and when you're aches and pains become too much head to the blind. At least you're still out there hunting turkeys. But Greg is right....just when you think it's easy those birds can make an awful fool out of you!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Harty on February 04, 2020, 08:53:32 PM
Do some of each. Sit against a tree and when you're aches and pains become too much head to the blind. At least you're still out there hunting turkeys. But Greg is right....just when you think it's easy those birds can make an awful fool out of you!
Oh I am sure of that. I am hoping the seat will help, right now I am 20 lbs. over the weight limit for it so I have to drop that so that I can test it. Won't be to hard.

John Koenig: