OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Has turkey hunnting become less popular  (Read 7566 times)

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Has turkey hunnting become less popular
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »
It doesn't seem like kids around here want to hunt anymore and I know several guys who are aging out of the sport.
I concur.

Offline ccleroy

• Longbeard
    • Spring Allure Custom Calls
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2019, 12:47:24 PM »
There's a shortage of turkey hunters in the Southeast, but no shortage of people trying to play the part.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2019, 05:12:22 PM »
There's a shortage of turkey hunters in the Southeast, but no shortage of people trying to play the part.

From what I see we are all playing the part. A few decades down the road there will be little if any turkey hunting for multiple reasons. Like it or not Turkey hunting is a dying sport. The instant gratification crowd is part of the reason. Turkey hunting is not easy.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Punisher

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2019, 08:20:20 PM »
Definitely...

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2019, 11:09:55 PM »
There wasn't much competition for turkeys when I started back in the 80's.  Public gamelands were open to anyone with a permit.  These days, they run draw hunts for turkeys on the public land near this area, because if they didn't limit hunting pressure, the resource would suffer..  The human population has grown exponentially more recently around here too.  Where I used to be able to get permission to hunt some properties, now, that land is either being developed or has been leased.

I also hear more shots around the farms I hunt than I used to.  I believe pop up blinds and decoys have made it easier to be successful without having to learn how to hunt old school, like everyone did.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline alan73

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2019, 05:05:06 PM »
 seems like less hunters atleast for spring season may be a few more for fall archery though.

Offline El Pavo Grande

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2019, 12:45:25 AM »
I feel like overall there has been an increase in turkey hunting popularity over the last 10-15 years.  I do think with struggling turkey populations in some areas I hunt, most don’t hunt as many days per season..... very little scouting and with a few days of tough hunting, they quit for the year.  Hunters travel to destination states, such as Kansas in the Midwest, much more now than previously.  It amazes me how many don’t / won’t turkey hunt their home state here, but will travel out of state to hunt.  I think a lot of that is driven by the need for success over the experience of the hunt. 

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2019, 08:03:44 AM »
Not where I hunt In Missouri and Pa.  More and more hunters every year. Last year I was up at 3 am to make the 5 min ride to a ridge where I wanted to hunt. When I arrived there was a rig from Arkansas parked there in the center of the road.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2019, 12:48:14 AM »
Idk guys, around here I believe there’s more guys. In most areas there’s more guys but it’s still easy enough to climb higher, walk further or otherwise distance yourself.
Low hanging fruit and fields get lots of attn.

Offline muskyjunky

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2019, 03:40:38 AM »
Here's my take ... Started Turkey hunting in 93 in NY because I had an incredible mentor to learn and go with ( I live in Ohio ). This corresponds with when Ashtabula county caught fire and Turkey hunting really took off in my area. In those days through at least early 2000's it was very common to run into other hunters nearly every area i hunted ... But as time has gone on the Turkeys expanded their range and the hunting pressure seems to have leveled off in the last 10 years or so. I believe this is due to many hunters can now simply hunt closer to home. I myself do this now for the most part.

Offline varmint101

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2019, 05:55:24 PM »
Not here in south central Indiana at least. Our public land (and private) are overrun at least where I hunt. The loud birds are killed pretty quick! You can scout and not see a soul, but come opening day there are campers and trucks all over.

Offline Rick

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2019, 08:45:12 PM »
 Late 70's and early 80's , i could float down the river and listen for birds on both sides and hardly ever see anyone . Now everthing is posted and people everywhere.  All the public lands in Mississippi are bombarded with arkansas tags now ... In now travel to kentucky and hunt on a friends private land ....
Saved By Grace

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2019, 09:24:53 PM »
I don't think many young people are taking up the sport. They typically avoid difficult things. There is a shortage of people entering the construction industry also-more hard work. Some country's like Kuwait farm out all their labor type jobs; are we headed in that direction? Anyways there are more and more hunters in my neck of the woods each year but I think it's established hunters that are not satisfied with their two bird limit and are traveling to hunt additional turkeys. I'm the same way, with a good economy I have money to travel and extend my season. So more hunters in my area but the additional ones are all from out of state. Probably if we see the economy recess somewhat it will relive some of the pressure on states that are getting hammered by out of state'rs.

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2019, 08:17:49 PM »
Not sure where they have gotten their information from. Ive seen a steady increase since the late 90s with no slow down.
Georgia Boy

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2019, 09:35:11 AM »
Missouri's permit sales report page only covers 2010-2014, and it looks like there are lots of year-by-year variations.