OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Has turkey hunnting become less popular

Started by eggshell, October 17, 2019, 12:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crghss

Less access here in Florida. Everywhere you go farmland is being built on so you have less and less available land. More and more available farmland is being leased for paid hunts.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

nativeks

Doesn't seem like this. I used to have the statistics but our resident hunters have remained fairly constant. Non resident went up something like 500% from the year 2000. As our turkey numbers have plummeted we are seeing a decrease in both resident and non resident. It will be interesting to see what happens if they do in fact go to one spring tag and no fall season here.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: BigSlam51 on October 17, 2019, 04:00:42 PM
Quote from: eggshell on October 17, 2019, 03:34:34 PM
I feel for you guys in Florida. I was down there in 2012, of course to finish my grand slam, and it was getting tougher then. Even in  the last 7 years I have noticed prices have sky rocketed for guided hunts and with that I'm sure lease rates have gone up. People have no other option for an Osceola. A buddy of mine winters in Florida and says it's not even worth trying anymore, he just quit hunting down there. I think you can thank all the hunting videos, shows and NWTF for that. It used to be that bad here way back in the day as we had the best part of the state to hunt and there were only birds in a few counties (I'm talking 1970s and 80s). As the flock expanded it lightened up. That is not what I meant however, I know probably half the local hunters have quit turkey hunting or only hunt a few days. No one fall hunts. Deer are the rage here in Ohio and We are getting bombarded by out of state traffic and out of staters buying up leases. Lease prices have tripled from 10-15 years ago. Have I told you I hate leasing!! :character0029: It is too the point I can not even walk out my back door and hunt, 1,000 acres I used to freely hunt is now leased all around me, and all out of state people. Two years ago some of the lease holders tried to run my buddies off my land, said they had it leased. My buddies called me and they said the fools actually took off running when they heard my truck coming through the woods.  There is still a group of land owners who have joined me in standing against leasing and don't lease our lands. We have about 2,000 acres the local Joes can still hunt. I think nothing else has hurt hunting participation more than leasing. If people don't have a place to hunt they just give up, because public land is too crowed.
I was just about to bring up ohio, the out of state deer hunters, and the leasing lol. It's pretty bad right now, and I'm in northeast ohio. My buddy and I had planned on hunting some public that I grew up hunting last weekend and got beat there by some guys from Pennsylvania. I guess that's what happens when ohio is the closest midwest big buck state to guys from the east and has some of the cheapest licenses available considering our trophy animals.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I hate leasing myself, when I started to hunt around 92 my friend and I were allowed to hunt a piece of land that was a mix of wood and fields and by the time it was all over we we pushed out to a small  field and a woods that nobody wanted to lease anyway. You add to the the fact the the people that leased the land did not shoot at deer they slung bullets at then in barrages and it got dangerous to be in the fields. Now I can't get on that land any more and all because of leasing. Hate it. Getting to be like it was in England where only the royals could hunt.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

roberthyman14

Quote from: Southerngobbler on October 17, 2019, 01:50:20 PM
Here in N/W Florida we're getting bombarded. Saw more out of state tags last year than Iv'e ever seen. More turkey hunters every year, residence and non residents. Also noticed with this influx of hunters its no longer the normal to drive on to the next place if someones already parked there. This seemed to be a the widely excepted practice for so long but just in the last year or so it doesn't seem to matter who got there first, just pull on up, park next to me and come help hunt that one bird that's gobbling back there.
Ain't this the truth.  We have people everywhere and then the folks that think they get an entire area if they parked half a mile away.  Had a guy 2 seasons ago get pissed. I parked on a different road from him and had an easy walk to setup on a roosted bird.  After the bird began gobbling the guy walked up behind me yelling I cut him off and he was parked up the road waiting to hear a bird.  He wasn't to happy as he decided to spin tires, honk his horn and shoot his gun while driving out.  I ran into him bout a week later and he had a different attitude.  Usually see the same few trucks and know about where they are hunting. Then the new folks show up and get mad.  I've spent many mornings walking roads and talking to the other hunters to gameplan where I can get. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Prohunter3509

South ms
Garen dam tee they not less
More and more every year

Sixes

It's interesting to hear you guys complaining about leasing. I am 49 years old and here in Georgia, leasing is as normal as buying a hunting license. I joined my first club at 18 and have never not been a member of a hunting club. Even my Dad's generation were mainly in leased hunting club dating back to the 60s and 70s.

I have never hunted anywhere where landowners gave free rein to hunters, but I do know how public land hunting can be here in Georgia and I can honestly say that I much prefer a private lease.

The lease that I am in now is a club with 2 of my best friends and their father, we started our 24th year in this lease this fall. We have had other members (friends) from time to time, but us 4 have always remained the core. My Dad (turkey only membership up until his health problems) and myself are the only turkey hunters, so that is a nice part of the lease.

tomstopper

Quote from: guesswho on October 17, 2019, 12:36:10 PM
There's a shortage of turkey hunters in the Southeast, but no shortage of people trying to play the part.
:agreed: I am starting to notice this

mtns2hunt

Quote from: guesswho on October 17, 2019, 12:36:10 PM
There's a shortage of turkey hunters in the Southeast, but no shortage of people trying to play the part.

I was in the "playing the part routine" when I first started. Did not have videos, you tube. I remember banging away at an old slate call. Did't sound at all like a turkey. Turned to deer hunting with moderate success. Then a family member listening to my tales of bad luck invited me to hunt his farm. Started killing deer and then he showed me turkey calling and then called in my first turkey.

I was fascinated with both deer and turkey hunting and am still learning today. Love to hunt the eastern bird but also only need one more Florida bird to fill my second slam.

It's unfortunate but those wandering Wallys that are "just playing the part" will not stick with the sport but will wander to another sport which really hurts turkey hunting in the long run. Yes there is a decline in Turkey hunting and many of the other hunting sports. Don't believe me? Just look at the average age of the people on this form. The majority are sporting Gray beards.

I repair game systems for a living along with many other electronics. Outdoor sports cannot compete with a PS4 (Sony Play Station) or X-Box. Obesity due to lack of exercise is rampant. Give it some thought and take a kid hunting!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

quavers59

Fall Turkey Hunting used to be more Popular in New York. I don't see many Fall Huntersnow. Spring Hunting however has exploded. Unfortunately, I see more Sprinting younger Hunters coming to the Gobble. :emoticon-cartoon-012:

deerhunt1988

I hunt all over the U.S., but my primary stomping grounds are in the southeast. Turkey hunter numbers are not decreasing here, especially on public lands. I believe 'turkey' is the one subset of hunters that may actually be seeing an increase.

I've saw an influx of folks 'joining the game' over the past several years. Mostly deer hunters trying to start turkey hunting. They think it is as simple as throwing up a ground blind on a food plot and plopping out a strutter decoy. Which unfortunately, put in enough time in a spot with birds, and they will be successful. And perhaps even limit out.

eggshell

QuoteI see more Sprinting younger Hunters coming to the Gobble.

LOL, yeah one of the speedy Gonzalez crowd was on here blowing about how most of the turkeys were killed by his generation. It got pretty intense!

QuoteI have never hunted anywhere where landowners gave free rein to hunters, but I do know how public land hunting can be here in Georgia and I can honestly say that I much prefer a private lease.

Have you ever wondered why public land was like that? Maybe all the people who can't afford a lease are there. Actually, public land is huntable in much of our state. Sure it's more crowded than private land, but it's not so bad you just give up. In most cases it's only super crowed the first weekend of season. However, I see it getting more crowded after leasing came. In my area we don't have but one small block of public land, 90% is private. So if you don't want to travel it's not a choice. I hunt national Forest in a couple other bordering states and have very few conflicts with other hunters. Neither are heavily leased. A local paper company used to allow public hunting on thousands of acres until they hired a new forest manager from Ga. and he quickly told the higher ups they could make a lot of money if they leased hunting rights. That started the onslaught here. When you say you've leased with friends and family, that's great. What grinds my grits is the out of staters from down south came rolling in and paying big prices that locals can't afford. I asked the landowner that joins me if he'd lease to a small group of locals and he said I'd have to match the price the guys from North Carolina was paying, that is $10,000.00 a year....too steep for an old retired government worker!

BigSlam51

Quote from: eggshell on October 20, 2019, 07:39:44 AM
QuoteI see more Sprinting younger Hunters coming to the Gobble.

LOL, yeah one of the speedy Gonzalez crowd was on here blowing about how most of the turkeys were killed by his generation. It got pretty intense!

QuoteI have never hunted anywhere where landowners gave free rein to hunters, but I do know how public land hunting can be here in Georgia and I can honestly say that I much prefer a private lease.

Have you ever wondered why public land was like that? Maybe all the people who can't afford a lease are there. Actually, public land is huntable in much of our state. Sure it's more crowded than private land, but it's not so bad you just give up. In most cases it's only super crowed the first weekend of season. However, I see it getting more crowded after leasing came. In my area we don't have but one small block of public land, 90% is private. So if you don't want to travel it's not a choice. I hunt national Forest in a couple other bordering states and have very few conflicts with other hunters. Neither are heavily leased. A local paper company used to allow public hunting on thousands of acres until they hired a new forest manager from Ga. and he quickly told the higher ups they could make a lot of money if they leased hunting rights. That started the onslaught here. When you say you've leased with friends and family, that's great. What grinds my grits is the out of staters from down south came rolling in and paying big prices that locals can't afford. I asked the landowner that joins me if he'd lease to a small group of locals and he said I'd have to match the price the guys from North Carolina was paying, that is $10,000.00 a year....too steep for an old retired government worker!
Eggshell, where are you at in ohio?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

WV Flopper

I don't think it has. Here, in WV where I primarily hunt it takes cycles. When I started hunting spring turkey in 1989 there were very few turkey hunters. The ones that did hunt, were Turkey Hunters. I feel that I was very fortunate to have been mentored by some of them! There were a few new people to try it every year. I will say this, 20 and 30 years ago there was a lot more respect from hunters to hunters. Not that way today, some, but not like it was. There are reasons for this as well. (See Below)

Now fast forward to present. The social media, hunting shows on T.V. are promoting hunting (Turkey Hunting) nearly every day. As many of you reading this have seen, the people on T.V. typically make it look easy. This gets the new guys in the woods every year. Now, these new guys are usually a pain in a turkey hunters butt, as they run through the woods. Beat around, over call, spook every critter within a mile of them and typically just annoy anyone that comes into contact with them. We need these people in the woods. Even know they annoy me, I need them, We need them. Without them the turkey hunting population will decrease until one day someone will take my "Our" turkey hunting passion from us. Some yahoo from California will say "Why do we allow the senseless killing of Turkeys." We have them here in town, look at them, they don't hurt anyone. Why do we allow people to kill them, they are so pretty. We need a turkey hunter population in every state to support this, so it does not happen.

State Land, National Forests, Private Land and Leases are not so different. As many of these new guys are just starting out they may not have a place to hunt? Pubic lands get hounded by the newbies, which in turn annoy us turkey hunters, Its part of it. I hunt Private, public, leased land, it really is all the same. Just maybe with less of a presence of annoyance on some of the lands. I hunted on a lease in Florida this spring as a guest, it was good. There were turkeys, and a few hunters also. After the first day the presence of others hunters dropped considerable.

I did hunt the Green Swamp Fl. one day, did some recon the evening before. I found a spot that I liked and was at the (GATE) before it opened. I think I was 5th or 6th in the line. A guy in front of me was from Penn. and I talked a little with him as we were waiting in line. He had hunted the Swamp several times. His success rate was not what I would say to be good. Nothing against him, I think it was much more to do with the competition and the Turkeys themselves.
It was comparable to a Nascar race when the gate opened. Here is how it worked, The gate opened, The attendee would issue you a permit and you were off. Next guy up, and off. Like green flag racing. From the beginning of the gate the system was promoting running around like an idiot. Making people be in a hurry. Pushing people to get to they're spot first. Green Flag Racing! I have never seen anything like it. Remember above about the RESPECT part?

On a different note. There are turkey in the Green Swamp and you can hunt it. I tracked turkeys in the road where the road would allow. Seen turkey sign in the woods. I didn't hear any turkey, but they are there, Along with a bunch of other hunters, and alligators. Take a GPS if you are not from the swamp regions, it will get it back to the truck. Tall boots or waders as well.  I entered at the West gate and I think there had been two turkeys killed by Thursday the first week? Kind of sad!

As usual I have gotten squirrelled again and off of topic. But to get back where I should be, I don't think hunter numbers are down. New 20 something year olds are hunting every year. The teen agers are not hunting as they were 30 years ago but they are starting a little later in life it appears. Promote it yourself, take a kid hunting. Heck, take one of the annoying 20 something's along, teach them the respect you would want shown to you.

BTW, I typically hunt alone. A few youth hunts ever year, but basically I hunt alone. Everyone annoys me, I even annoy myself on occasion.

bonasa

Quote from: quavers59 on October 20, 2019, 03:31:16 AM
Fall Turkey Hunting used to be more Popular in New York. I don't see many Fall Huntersnow. Spring Hunting however has exploded. Unfortunately, I see more Sprinting younger Hunters coming to the Gobble. :emoticon-cartoon-012:
Its too bad the fall season is 12 days and 1 bird, a lot of other hunting opportunities going on in the fall for more time restricted hunters. I do however enjoy bumrushing a flock in the fall while grouse hunting, putting the dog up and calling one in, although it is completely incidental though.

I hear ya on the sprinting, instagraming , tide-pod eaters. Barrel stickers, hash-tags and prostaffing will not make a turkey hunter! NJ has it made and does not allow roost shooting, stalking (sprinting) or the silly concept known as "reaping".  Gobblers in the spring are not that hard to kill with a little scouting and know how.

mtns2hunt

I would say fall turkey hunting is in decline but Spring hunting is holding its own. I kill fall birds with a crossbow when they present but generally (not always) these are young birds. It appears that with all the hype Spring hunting is where all the attention is focused. Online videos are doing turkey hunting an injustice.

Several individuals have commented on the free for all on public land. It is not really that bad in Va. There may be a lot of hunters in the first week but after that the crowd thins out. On many of the big national forests you can walk for miles and never see anyone after 30 minutes. I usually go for a hike and randomly call, no hurry no rush. It is surprising  what shows up. I just keep my expectations in check but then the private land I hunt skunks me at times too and this land is very turkey rich.

Incredible what opportunities are available for the persistent hunter. I am enjoying the comments, stories and opinions in this post.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.