OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tape Cutters  (Read 9410 times)

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
Tape Cutters
« on: October 15, 2019, 03:18:51 PM »
Other than scissors and spending an inordinate amount of money on a tape cutter how are you that make your own calls cutting your tape?

I started hand stretching my own mouth calls last year without a press and I have gotten pretty consistent.  What I am not consistent on is cutting the tape.

The S.C. Gobbler
James 1:2-4
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
Re: Tape Cutters
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 09:40:19 PM »
Other than scissors and spending an inordinate amount of money on a tape cutter how are you that make your own calls cutting your tape?

I started hand stretching my own mouth calls last year without a press and I have gotten pretty consistent.  What I am not consistent on is cutting the tape.

The S.C. Gobbler
James 1:2-4

Consider making a jig to hold and cut the call by way of a pattern, pretty easy to do.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline HILBY72

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 10:15:13 AM »
I took a piece of wire and made a stencil with it, I then cut the call out with scissors.  It is pretty consistent as long as i have my cheaters on.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 11:39:47 AM »
After trying a number of methods, I found that a pharmacy pill bottle I had was just the right size to mark the tape.  Now I just use a pen to trace the outline of the cut by laying the bottle on the call, marking around the bottle, and cutting along the line with scissors.  Works quite well for me.  I'm sure there are other bottles or circular objects that would suffice, but the pill bottle turned out to be just the right size.

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 12:38:18 AM »
The pill bottle cut is a pretty good idea. Do you leave it round or cut the corners off
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 08:53:19 AM »
The pill bottle cut is a pretty good idea. Do you leave it round or cut the corners off

I cut the corners off, but that's just out of habit,...and the cut corners look a little better in my opinion.  It doesn't bother me to leave the corners, but I'm sure some folks would get poked by the corners because of their mouth shape.  I haven't seen any functional necessity in cutting them for me personally.