OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: North Mississippi 8 Point - Criticism Needed  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Delmar ODonnell

North Mississippi 8 Point - Criticism Needed
« on: October 15, 2019, 10:16:12 AM »
Hello gentlemen, I hope everyone is doing well, and not too depressed during this time of no-gobble darkness from June-February. Over the summer, I committed to start videoing my hunts, and started this deer season, and will definitely continue into the spring.

I was fortunate enough to kill a nice buck (for me) last Saturday, and finally finished editing the video. I have a lot of respect for people on this forum and feel like most avid turkey hunters share my passion and respect for the outdoors and woodsmanship.

I was wondering if yall would mind offering any criticism or advice. I have thick skin, so please do not hold back.

My "goals" for doing all this is:
1) To demonstrate a passion for the chase and the utmost respect to the animal that will connect to like-minded hunters, and will be tasteful and thought-provoking to others.

2) To be somewhat educational. I have tons to learn myself, but it would be nice if one person could pick up at least a piece of helpful advice.

The last thing I want to do is make this about me by boasting or seeking any accreditation. I just want to share a glimpse of the outdoors that often leaves me inspired. If my video takes any attention from that, I have failed miserably. Thank y'all in advance, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5uedPCS8A&feature=youtu.be

Offline Delmar ODonnell

Re: North Mississippi 8 Point - Criticism Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 10:20:57 AM »
Here are a few pictures. It was a beautiful, picture perfect morning, and I am still humbled to have experienced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kytrkyhntr

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 02:21:51 PM »
Great Buck man! Will watch the video tonight
don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story

Offline shoer2

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 06:06:48 PM »
Nice deer and pretty place.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 06:21:21 PM »
Self filming is not easy , good video , just keep it up... nice buck , the trophy is in the eyes of the beholder ....

Online Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 06:29:12 PM »
Kudos to the nice buck and the video

Offline Mathews.1

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 06:49:04 PM »
Congratulations

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 08:53:56 AM »
Congrats
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 10:14:43 AM »
I'm gonna throw out a little criticism, mainly because you specifically ask for it. If I paid close enough attention I think you took credit for "good shot". You should explain that a crippling backbone shot is more of a lucky miss. A lot of bow hunters consider it very unfortunate to backbone one although the outcome is the same. If that's where you were aiming or already addressed the shot placement I apologize. Everyone occasionally backbones one but maybe not the best shot to show on line. Other than that it was a excellent video and I appreciate the effort that goes into getting a shot on camera.

Offline Delmar ODonnell

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »
I'm gonna throw out a little criticism, mainly because you specifically ask for it. If I paid close enough attention I think you took credit for "good shot". You should explain that a crippling backbone shot is more of a lucky miss. A lot of bow hunters consider it very unfortunate to backbone one although the outcome is the same. If that's where you were aiming or already addressed the shot placement I apologize. Everyone occasionally backbones one but maybe not the best shot to show on line. Other than that it was a excellent video and I appreciate the effort that goes into getting a shot on camera.

I completely agree with you, and thought the same thing when I went back and watched the video. If you watch the slow mo, you can see him duck his front left side when the arrow is approaching, and the arrow had a level, almost upward angle relative to the vitals when it hit. Autopsy revealed the arrow went through the right lung before hitting the spine. While my aiming point and shot was good, the outcome was not perfect, in fact it was far from it. I got down after the shot and quickly put another arrow in him, but did not think the "mercy killing shot" was appropriate for video. It was painful to do, and definitely not something I took any pleasure in.

I don't know if I was talking faster than I was thinking or speaking of my aiming point, but I should have not said the shot was perfect or even good, and should have addressed the bad outcome more directly and transparently. Watching an animal suffer, even for a minute, is something that breaks my heart. I know other hunters know that if you do it long enough, you'll bear the burden of making a merciful killing, but it's not something that should be celebrated and shots like that could make non-hunters have a negative opinion.

Thank you for your comments and criticism. I plan on going back and editing videos from the beginning of the season, including re-doing this hunt. Other areas I've been told I need to work on is more B-roll footage (I agree no one should be looking at my ugly mug talking for 3 straight minutes), better lighting, talking directly into the camera, and including maps and illustrations of where I was hunting and strategy. This is the first time attempting to edit, and I am slowly teaching myself, so I wanted to put this out as a "guinea pig" and get feedback so I can do better in the future.

Again, thank yall for taking the time to watch a stranger's video. I sincerely appreciate the compliments and criticism.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 12:24:57 PM »
Fist off congratulations on getting a deer. Southerngobbler addressed one of the things I was thinking so I will leave that along. The other comment I am going to make I may be wrong about, but it is the way it looked.

When you went back up to the stand it looks like you did not reattach your safety harness, looks like the strap for it was dangling over the tree. If I am wrong then I apologize but I am of the opinion you should show yourself attached to the tree at all times if you are going to put a video on the net, you have young kids that are coming up and watching these videos and we have a responsibility to always show ourselves wearing safety harnesses where they apply. We are their teachers, weather in person or online and we should show them the safe way to do things at all times. Again if I am seeing that wrong then I apologize. Hope I can be out there with you next year if my shoulders heal up right, I really miss bow hunting, it is my favorite form of hunting followed by muzzle loading.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Delmar ODonnell

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 12:40:32 PM »
Fist off congratulations on getting a deer. Southerngobbler addressed one of the things I was thinking so I will leave that along. The other comment I am going to make I may be wrong about, but it is the way it looked.

When you went back up to the stand it looks like you did not reattach your safety harness, looks like the strap for it was dangling over the tree. If I am wrong then I apologize but I am of the opinion you should show yourself attached to the tree at all times if you are going to put a video on the net, you have young kids that are coming up and watching these videos and we have a responsibility to always show ourselves wearing safety harnesses where they apply. We are their teachers, weather in person or online and we should show them the safe way to do things at all times. Again if I am seeing that wrong then I apologize. Hope I can be out there with you next year if my shoulders heal up right, I really miss bow hunting, it is my favorite form of hunting followed by muzzle loading.

I saw that too, and should have included text clarifying that I was attached by my linesman rope which was out of sight of the video. I always have at least one point of attachment to the tree. Consequences are too bad to not to! I actually slipped off my second step that morning, and managed to catch myself with my linesman rope. I hope your shoulder heals up soon!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 09:29:41 PM »

I saw that too, and should have included text clarifying that I was attached by my linesman rope which was out of sight of the video. I always have at least one point of attachment to the tree. Consequences are too bad to not to! I actually slipped off my second step that morning, and managed to catch myself with my linesman rope. I hope your shoulder heals up soon!

Glad to hear you were attached. Man I came back after reading your reply and I need to work on some of my spelling. Alone not along, and whether instead of weather. I hate when I make grammar errors. We won't even talk about my punctuation. Thanks guy, lot of therapy and strengthening to do.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."