OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Florida Public Turkey Hunting  (Read 4268 times)

Offline chmcpherson

Florida Public Turkey Hunting
« on: September 25, 2019, 09:11:14 PM »
Anyone had any luck at any of the Florida WMA's for an Osceola? Planning on taking a trip this year and would love to hear any tips/advice. I am not looking for anyone to give me their secret spots, just a few tips and pointers. Thanks in advance.

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Florida Public Turkey Hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 09:24:27 PM »
There are some public WMA But that is some harding hunting.

You can try to draw a quota WMA but you need to build up points.

Start reading....https://myfwc.com/

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 04:17:47 PM »
I’m in the middle of the beginning of my deer season but when I get time I’ll get with you. But yes start reading that link that’s a good start. Bubba

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »
There are a lot of guys killing birds on public as mentioned put the odds in your favor by applying for special and quota hunts. Check now for app period. I killed my bird on a special permit area after striking out in the Richloam area years ago. Do your research and be ready for an eyeopening experience if you are used to hardwoods or field hunting.

Online Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 08:26:49 AM »
The days of being able to consistently kill gobblers on public florida non quota  property have over the last 30 years turned into occasionally.....then into rarely.....last few years its turning into darn near IMPOSSIBLE,  this a is a Florida hunter talking

The hunting pressure on quota permits is doing the same pattern , permits are HARD to get

eventually the private property will fall into the same pattern , how long will it hold up in south or central florida? My best estimate is that we have less that 20 years of south or central Turkey hunting before "the bottom falls out of it "

total harvest figures for PUBLIC WMA checked out turkeys FOR THE ENTIRE STATE of florida floats around 700 annually,  something to think about , some.places dont have maned check stations and many of those 700 are easterns and hybrids ...scary numbers

Im sure some guys will dispute my opinion,  but the fact remains we have 21.3 million people down here in florida , and GROWING

the point im making Is if you want to.do it ...DO IT NOW , what will happen is increasing demand for osceolas will eventually drive guided hunts to the $5,000 area within 10 years just like elk hunts out west

Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 11:46:00 AM »
Too many people; too few huntable acres.  Maybe we should introduce more to the sport.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
+1 
20 years from now.. will be interesting in Fla. I agree.. a true Osceola on private will cost as much as Elk hunt right now out west.  What little public is there will be even more over run with hunters.  Too many people, too many people... same ol story everywhere you look.  Half the post of this forum are about "how it used to be" back in the day. This is especially true when talking about public land.

This pattern will expand into most of the southern states in the near future and then on to other places out west.

This of course assumes current trends continue into the future.  Some will argue that none of this will even matter as hunting, meat consumption, and guns will be a thing of the past in the next 30 years..

The days of being able to consistently kill gobblers on public florida non quota  property have over the last 30 years turned into occasionally.....then into rarely.....last few years its turning into darn near IMPOSSIBLE,  this a is a Florida hunter talking

The hunting pressure on quota permits is doing the same pattern , permits are HARD to get

eventually the private property will fall into the same pattern , how long will it hold up in south or central florida? My best estimate is that we have less that 20 years of south or central Turkey hunting before "the bottom falls out of it "

total harvest figures for PUBLIC WMA checked out turkeys FOR THE ENTIRE STATE of florida floats around 700 annually,  something to think about , some.places dont have maned check stations and many of those 700 are easterns and hybrids ...scary numbers

Im sure some guys will dispute my opinion,  but the fact remains we have 21.3 million people down here in florida , and GROWING

the point im making Is if you want to.do it ...DO IT NOW , what will happen is increasing demand for osceolas will eventually drive guided hunts to the $5,000 area within 10 years just like elk hunts out west

Shannon

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 09:38:43 PM »
Between development and pollution things are looking bleak. Just hope things hang on until I take my dirt nap...

BTW, It takes 3 years to accumulate the preference points I need to draw the quota permit on the WMA I want to hunt. I get one 3 day weekend to hunt with that permit.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline joeturkey

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 05:43:36 AM »
 Right on the money  Shannon

Online RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 11:46:57 AM »
I'd add to the comments, but the guys have already made the valid points, especially Shannon.
All the above is compounded by FWC doing an absolutely pathetic job of managing the lands for all game, but especially turkeys. Add to this that there are hundreds of thousands of acres of pristine turkey land in FLA that is off limits to hunters, but open to hikers, bikers and wealthy equestrians to recreate on for free. I live in Florida, but hunt in S. Carolina if that tells you anything.

Offline squidd

• God, Family and Country
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 11:01:05 AM »
Public turkey hunting in FL is tough and times where a WMA are more productive one year and bad the other; just like anywhere including private land.   

No birds for me in the past two seasons, even with a good WMA quota that took years to wait for.  Heard birds each year, but for one reason or other didn’t produce.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 11:36:17 AM »
I went to a hard hunted Florida WMA 2 weeks into the season 3 or 4 years ago.  Granted I grew up hunting this place, but I figured my experience there would be outdated since I hadn't hunted it in 20 years.  I went to one of my old favorite areas, it had changed dramatically, but 2 hours into my first morning I had my gobbler.  I'm fairly confident I could go back and kill a bird, maybe not the first morning, but on a 3 day hunt, preferably not on a weekend.   My advice, at least on that WMA is water can be your best friend or worst obstacle.  It sounds funny in Florida, but use "high ground" and water to your advantage.  I admit I was stunned when I saw just how many people were hunting during the week.     Oh, and don't rely on the gobble.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 12:40:50 PM by guesswho »
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline ddturkeyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 10:28:20 AM »
chmcpherson send me a private text if you wish and I will tell you my story. My first oscealo hunt was in 2009 and i had to come back in 2010 to get my first bird. And since then have been going back every other year since. Not only for the turkeys, but for the stories around the camp fire every night. I have meet a supper bunch of people down there. But I have seen the change everyone is talking about, and i do feel sorry for the locals. I myself have been very successful hunting where I do but there have been many even in my same camp that have not. So if your looking to add another handicap to your oscealo hunt then hunt public land. Other wise it might be cheeper going on some private land and paying there fees.