OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What shooting rest for sighting in rifle?  (Read 3010 times)

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: What shooting rest for sighting in rifle?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 09:37:21 PM »
hey Chad can you please explain your opinion?

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 09:45:46 PM »
hey Chad can you please explain your opinion?
Lead sleds don’t allow the rifle to move during recoil as it should. They say that it forces the harmonics to have a greater effect on the scope. Personally, if you’re buying quality optics to begin with, I doubt it’ll be an issue. But, if you’re buying cheap Simmons and Tasco scopes, there could be some merit to it. But, I’ve had those things go to trash without the use of a sled anyway. I guess one should be careful about the amount of weight they add to the sled. Leupold is probably the best I could see to avoid this situation without breaking the bank. After that, Vortex and Nikon, in that order. Could always go up from there obviously but those would be as low budget as I’d go assuming the rumors are true. Don’t use a sled often but I’ve not had any issues when I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, 10:06:14 PM »
I agree with what WV said above.

The internals in cheaper scopes may not handle the abrupt recoil caused from the sled, plus scopes/mounts have a greater chance of moving due to lack of cushion during recoil

Offline Jester87

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Arizona
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 12:23:50 AM »
Just my opinion. I recently tried the Lead Sled DFT2 with a buckhorn sight Marlin 45-70, a scoped Remington .270 and Winchester .243 wssm, .223 wssm and 300 wsm rifles. I returned it to Cabelas the other day. For the price paid ($170), I wasn't impressed.

- heavy, big, awkward to carry out in the field. If you have a dedicated shooting range not an issue.
- Despite its weight, be prepared to carry even more weight to put on it or it will jump like a cat after each shot and you still spend time readjusting everything for the next shot.   
- no eye relief adjustment. This was the biggest issue for me. I needed the rifle closer to me to fully see through my scope. I had to re-position my body off to the side and lean in towards the scope and it was uncomfortable. I removed the Shock Eliminator pad which positioned the rifle an inch back. Now I could see through the scope but then I lost a big part of the recoil dampening.
- the rubber barrel cradle strap was a beast to secure, like the shape of the hole opening wasn't cut right.
- after firing the 300 wsm, I didnt like how it recoiled. I had similar concerns as Wvmntnhick about it being too harsh on the scope.

As for pros, it does eliminate quite a bit of human factor, but not all. I did like the fine windage and elevation adjustments and it held the various gun makes securely. No marring. The skeletonized frame opening worked with the lever action and AR platforms would benefit from this too. All rifles sighted in, so it does work. There's just quirks I didnt like.   

Cabela's has a 90 day satisfaction guarantee policy. Try and return if you don't like it. They include a prepaid label to ship it back (minus $7.50 from your refund) :icon_thumright:

Offline Hoot 000

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »
 :z-guntootsmiley: I have one of the fancier ones but the simple Plain Jane Lead Sled will work just fine.

Offline Hoot 000

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 08:43:32 PM »
You can use a piece of foam rubber between the rest and the stock will help with your Optics

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 09:27:56 PM »
I have never even comfortable behind a lead sled. As I reach around it, I struggle with holding it on target. They do not replicate how the gun will sit under your cheek and against your shoulder. I’ve always been able to shoot more consistently on sand bags which is critical when working up handloads and a half MOA can skew your results.  A few years ago I was at the range and the guy beside me was shooting 6 inch groups off a lead sled. He was visibly frustrated. So I offered my sandbags suspecting the lead sled was in part to blame. He ended up shooting 2 inch groups.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »
I have never even comfortable behind a lead sled. As I reach around it, I struggle with holding it on target. They do not replicate how the gun will sit under your cheek and against your shoulder. I’ve always been able to shoot more consistently on sand bags which is critical when working up handloads and a half MOA can skew your results.  A few years ago I was at the range and the guy beside me was shooting 6 inch groups off a lead sled. He was visibly frustrated. So I offered my sandbags suspecting the lead sled was in part to blame. He ended up shooting 2 inch groups.
I’ve never had that kind of issue with a LS personally and I’ve used them plenty of times. But, everyone’s different. Sandbags are always good. A bully bag is a solid choice as well but I’d still opt for a good bipod and a rear bag. Emphasis on good here for those who are listening. Having used cheap bipods in the past, the legs will break if you load them too hard. Harris makes about the cheapest bipod that’s worth a darn. Caldwell is cheap and will work fine so long as you don’t apply the pressure required to properly “load” the bipod. That will lead to less stability but for the average joe in the East (self included when hunting back home but not so much where I’m currently living) and shots are typically in the woods at less than 150 yards, it doesn’t take much more than a cheap pod for a little stability. I’ve found that when I’m hunting the local agriculture fields here locally though that I prefer something more substantial and holds up better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 09:27:05 PM »
Used a lead sled for years to zero shotguns and rifles. Fine tune off of sandbags front and rear. Never had any issue with optics but agree that it can be awkward to position at times. But a whole lot better then shooting a pump or single 12 shotgun off of sand  bags. I handle recoil fairly well but a those shotguns can be beasts.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 12:39:25 AM »
I have the Caldwell Lead Sled that was like $70 at Cabelas. They have some other similar models for $100 but mine was only around $70. I love that thing. It really helps dialing in scopes and red dots.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 04:43:56 AM »
Just my preference but I use a Caldwell v shaped bag for the forearm and a sandsock near the recoil pad. Or if you want you can attach some bipod legs and lean into them and use a sandsock also. Like I said just my preference due to my military background and the way I was taught to shoot in certain schools.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER