OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New 20 gauge 870 compact  (Read 1532 times)

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
New 20 gauge 870 compact
« on: October 10, 2019, 03:22:49 PM »
870 compact seems to be a sweet little shotgun. Came in camo with sling swivels and spacers to lengthen the stock. I tore it apart today for a thorough cleaning and that seemed more difficult than my Wingmaster, not sure why. I bought it to get on the 20 train and also for my grandkids to have a gun that might fit them better.
It came with a modified choke tube and that’s a start, but I’m sure I’ll buy something better before spring season. I’m planning on shooting 20 - 35 yards, not out to 50. I wanted a 20 to cut down on weight, not increase distance. Any of you 20 shooters want to offer suggestions, fire away. Thanks!

Oh, in Iowa 8 shot is the smallest we can use.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: New 20 gauge 870 compact
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 08:17:41 PM »
Nice gun, if you don't want to shoot TSS, then i would look at Winchester long beards number 6 and either Sumtoy or Trulock ... 555 or 565 ....

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
Re: New 20 gauge 870 compact
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 08:04:10 PM »
You’ll enjoy toting the 20 around. The express is far from the wingmaster regarding fit & finish - but it will function just fine (just ordered a 2nd one myself - sale / rebate $250).

I’ve had good luck with a Sumtoy .562-5 shooting heavyweight and tss. I haven’t tried any longbeard ammo or any other “turkey” loads. Even for 30 yds and under, I think I would go with a tighter choke than the modified. Something in the .555 - .565 range ??

Good news is plenty of time to tinker...