Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Devotional Friday 5/06/2011 "Stand Tall"

Started by BOFF, May 06, 2011, 08:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

Seems I may need this more than you. But thought I would share it, as God's word is sovereign, and written for all.

I've attempted several times last night and this morning to write my thoughts, but have deleted them, more than I've written. So, here are the verses which keep returning to my heart.  May we keep our eyes fixed upon Christ, and His will for us, despite what we wish for ourselves. For we are God's workmanship, and we are here to serve Him, and not ourselves. For in the end, we are examples to all, even those we are unaware of, who watch us closely.

1 Peter 3:15-17 (The Message)

13-18 If with heart and soul you're doing good, do you think you can be stopped? Even if you suffer for it, you're still better off. Don't give the opposition a second thought. Through thick and thin, keep your hearts at attention, in adoration before Christ, your Master. Be ready to speak up and tell anyone who asks why you're living the way you are, and always with the utmost courtesy. Keep a clear conscience before God so that when people throw mud at you, none of it will stick. They'll end up realizing that they're the ones who need a bath. It's better to suffer for doing good, if that's what God wants, than to be punished for doing bad. That's what Christ did definitively: suffered because of others' sins, the Righteous One for the unrighteous ones. He went through it all—was put to death and then made alive—to bring us to God.

May we be a living testament to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and may he be pleased with our service!! Thank you Lord for the opportunities we have, to serve you, and may we do it with a positive spirit, humble heart, and love for all, even those who don't choose to love us. May we keep our eyes upon you, and may we remember, we are here to lead others to you. May the examples we stand tall for, and the example we do not, be through the guidance of your Holy Spirit. For it is in Jesus name I ask and pray these things, Amen!!

God Bless,
David B.

Duke0002

Thanks, David.  The Lord is committed to us, how can we not commit our living to Him!  Great stuff!

CSAW

RBC

lightsoutcalls

Thanks David!  I know exactly what you mean about typing and deleting... been there, done that... very recently.

I love the way the Message translation words these verses.  Sometimes the part about "the utmost courtesy" trips me up... which is the reason I end up deleting.  :)

Sometimes I get so frustrated, thinking "why don't some people get it?"  I hope you don't mind me posting verses on a day that I don't do the devotional, but here is what I keep coming back to:
1 Corinthians 1:18-21 (The Message)

18-21The Message that points to Christ on the Cross seems like sheer silliness to those hellbent on destruction, but for those on the way of salvation it makes perfect sense. This is the way God works, and most powerfully as it turns out. It's written,

I'll turn conventional wisdom on its head,
  I'll expose so-called experts as crackpots.
So where can you find someone truly wise, truly educated, truly intelligent in this day and age? Hasn't God exposed it all as pretentious nonsense? Since the world in all its fancy wisdom never had a clue when it came to knowing God, God in his wisdom took delight in using what the world considered dumb—preaching, of all things!—to bring those who trust him into the way of salvation.

Thanks again!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

BOFF

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on May 06, 2011, 09:50:17 AM
Thanks David!  I know exactly what you mean about typing and deleting... been there, done that... very recently.

I love the way the Message translation words these verses.  Sometimes the part about "the utmost courtesy" trips me up... which is the reason I end up deleting.  :)

Sometimes I get so frustrated, thinking "why don't some people get it?"  I hope you don't mind me posting verses on a day that I don't do the devotional, but here is what I keep coming back to:
1 Corinthians 1:18-21 (The Message)

18-21The Message that points to Christ on the Cross seems like sheer silliness to those hellbent on destruction, but for those on the way of salvation it makes perfect sense. This is the way God works, and most powerfully as it turns out. It's written,

I'll turn conventional wisdom on its head,
  I'll expose so-called experts as crackpots.
So where can you find someone truly wise, truly educated, truly intelligent in this day and age? Hasn't God exposed it all as pretentious nonsense? Since the world in all its fancy wisdom never had a clue when it came to knowing God, God in his wisdom took delight in using what the world considered dumb—preaching, of all things!—to bring those who trust him into the way of salvation.

Thanks again!

Thanks for adding to the devotional Wendell!!!

God Bless,
David B.

mmims

Thanks David! That was very needed!

Mike

turkey slayer

Well put thanks for sharing it with everyone  :jesus-cross: :jesus-cross:

Roostem33

Thanks Wendell & David for the awesome verses!! I really needed that today!!

God Bless,
Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)