OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 Longbeard XR question

Started by macobb, October 04, 2019, 10:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macobb

I have an 870 express youth model 21" barrel. I'm shooting a .565 Carlson extended turkey tube. It throws a great pattern with Apex GT20 TSS 9's. I'm curious if anyone is running a similar setup with the longbeard XR's. I'm really curious about the patterns and what your seeing. Does the XR 6's in 20 gauge have enough penetration at 40-50 yards to take the bird down ethically? I usually never shoot past 30 but just want to be prepared in case a boss Tom hangs up on me. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Kinda new to the 20 gauge game on bird so bare with me.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

Kygobblergetter

I have the same gun running an ic .555. The apex tss loads are flat out nasty but my patterns with the long beards wouldn't hold up much past 35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BandedSpur

I would say no. Lead 6s yield sufficient penetration IMO (1.25") to 44 yds @ 1,000 fps, and you may or may not get 1,000 fps from your 21" barrel. Pattern is not likely to hold up further than that anyway.

You would be taking a huge step backwards from what you are currently shooting. Are LBs head and shoulders better than any other lead load? Answer: yes. Are they in the same league with TSS 9s? Answer: no.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: BandedSpur on December 15, 2019, 08:33:30 AM
I would say no. Lead 6s yield sufficient penetration IMO (1.25") to 44 yds @ 1,000 fps, and you may or may not get 1,000 fps from your 21" barrel. Pattern is not likely to hold up further than that anyway.

You would be taking a huge step backwards from what you are currently shooting. Are LBs head and shoulders better than any other lead load? Answer: yes. Are they in the same league with TSS 9s? Answer: no.
optimal velocity from shotgun loads is achieved within 18-20 inches of barrel so your post makes no sense...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BandedSpur

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 07, 2020, 05:35:19 PM

optimal velocity from shotgun loads is achieved within 18-20 inches of barrel so your post makes no sense...

So what exactly doesn't make sense to you that he "may or may not get 1,000 fps from his 21" barrel"? I didn't say that he wouldn't, only that he might or might not. Only way to know is to shoot and chronograph it. I suppose you believe you will always get the velocity printed on an ammo box from your 22" barreled rifle too.

ahfox16

Regarding LB, this is a photo I took last spring when I was working up loads for my backup gun, which is an 870 Express with 26" barrels using the factory turkey full (.572) shooting Longbeard in size 6.  It was easily a 40 yard pattern (pattern was 40 yards taken with lazer).  148 in a 10" circle.

[/quote]

BandedSpur

Quote from: ahfox16 on February 09, 2020, 08:30:47 AM
Regarding LB, this is a photo I took last spring when I was working up loads for my backup gun, which is an 870 Express with 26" barrels using the factory turkey full (.572) shooting Longbeard in size 6.  It was easily a 40 yard pattern (pattern was 40 yards taken with lazer).  148 in a 10" circle.

[/quote]

That is an outstanding pattern at 40, but the OP asked about penetration at 40 to 50 yards. IMO penetration would be sufficient at 40 but very marginal at 50.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 08, 2020, 07:28:09 AM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 07, 2020, 05:35:19 PM

So what exactly doesn't make sense to you that he "may or may not get 1,000 fps from his 21" barrel"? I didn't say that he wouldn't, only that he might or might not. Only way to know is to shoot and chronograph it. I suppose you believe you will always get the velocity printed on an ammo box from your 22" barreled rifle too.
Smh. I said 99.99% OF THE VELOCITY OF ANY POSTED LOAD IS GOING TO BE ACHIEVED WITHIN THE FIRST 18-20 INCHES OF BARREL. That is the accepted and proven norm and standard. Not sure where you have an issue with that. 

TurkeyTamer

Longbeards #6's at 40 yards. CVA scout 20 gauge

Liljake

I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Liljake

I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

TurkeyTamer

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: TurkeyTamer on February 20, 2020, 11:20:37 PM
Looks almost blown.   Very spotty with a weird hot core. Clean or dirty bbl?

TurkeyTamer

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 02, 2020, 10:51:48 AM
Quote from: TurkeyTamer on February 20, 2020, 11:20:37 PM
Looks almost blown.   Very spotty with a weird hot core. Clean or dirty bbl?
It's not blown, that's a 9" circle. There ain't many lead #6's in that load anyway. That's actually a tight pattern. Most of the shot us in that circle.

owlhoot

I guess what I see is an  area on the left side that is a little open, like has some gaps.
The clean or dirty barrel question is food for thought and may help even it out.
If you are happy don't worry about it.