OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Thoughts on youth semi auto 28 gauge  (Read 3865 times)

Offline NCSWAMPFOX

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Thoughts on youth semi auto 28 gauge
« on: September 30, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
i wanted to get members thoughts on youth model semi auto 28 gauge for daughter who is 8 yo. it is time to move on from 410 to a gun that can perform on the the skeet\clays range as well as upland and turkey arena for her. we have tried youth model 20ga. semi autos and she is still too small to handle them with confidence so that leads me into 28ga. two youth model 28ga. of interest are akkar and tristar. there is large price difference in the two.
any members have any experience  or thoughts with these 2 or any recomendations of other manufacturers ?
thanks,phil

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Thoughts on youth semi auto 28 gauge
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 01:24:33 AM »
I looked at Remington pump 28 gauge the other day , and i couldn't tell that much difference in that gun and the 20 gauge , so i'm not sure if she can't handle the 20 gauge , that she will the 28 gauge either in my opinion.

Offline cutt down

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 01:48:52 AM »
Didn't know Tri-Star made a youth 28ga. I know they make a youth 20ga! There are a few things to consider with an 8yr old. First is she on the upper end of the size range for her age or is she a smaller framed 8yo? If it were me I'd wait until she was around 10yr old before I put her in a larger bore. The absolute worst thing to do is to start her flinching from the recoil. If she's tough then go for it! I have a Beretta 28 & 20 & there's not really a whole lot of difference in the recoil but there is some. Whatever you do I'd go with a gas operated semi & nothing else due to the reduced recoil. My Tri-Star G2 410 is a sweet shooter & I hear nothing but good things about their 28's as well.

Offline NCSWAMPFOX

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 08:30:20 AM »
thanks for reply. she is tough and on upper end of size. i agree that recoil is worst thing for children as i ruined middle daughter years ago with 870 20.  gas operated is definitely way to go, she started using my montefeltro  and never looked back. tristar does not make a youth 28 but youth stock can be ordered from them and that way i can use it too. kind of excited as well because ive never experimented with this gauge. thanks again for your thoughts!

Offline cutt down

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 12:53:45 AM »
If she can handle a 20ga monte then by all means she can handle a 28ga gas gun. If you can change out the stock then go for it. I'm pretty stoked about my Beretta a-400 28ga. The Tri-Star 28ga is sweet. Friend has one & it's a lot better gun than the price! There are 3 models in the 28ga Tri-Star line. Which one you going with?

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 06:17:37 PM »
NCSWAMP,
Cutt is referring to my 28ga Tri-Star I got this year. It is a sweet gun. Think I got it about the same time as the .410

Anyway.. not a whole lot different than a 20ga semi.  Let her use the your new .410 for a few more years and then jump up to the 20ga w/ 2.75 shells.  Just a ton more options.. and room to grow with a 20ga.
I'll show you the 28ga when your down here in the spring. Maybe you'll meet Cutt while you are here...he generally drags a$$ around here 1st or 2nd week of the season.

Also - any youth stock made for a Weatherby SA or Mossberg SA would likely bolt right on the Tristar.  All these guns are Turkish made.. and very much the same in many ways..

Offline NCSWAMPFOX

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »
thanks for replies Cutt ,Greg and Brian!. she can not handle 20 monte at this point . that reference of monte was to my middle daughter who is now 18.
Cutt, i have always wanted to try 20\28 in a-400 line. On tristar I'm not sure on model as i've not been able to find one nearby to handle \ inspect. waiting on shipment at local dealer.
Brian, so looking forward to heading that way this spring. she needs a gun she can break some skeet with and effectively shoot birds with. she is wearing me out to head to skeet range . 

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 09:24:22 AM »
Not sure of price range or if it is size/recoil about a 20 but look at the Beretta A400 Xcel.  They also make the A400 Lite Synthetic that comes in compact.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 03:41:05 PM »
I tried this route with my oldest daughter and personally I do not think the 28 Tristar is a gun for a youngun. You have much more versatility with a 20 gauge for loading lighter loads. The recipe I was using had an 1.5 oz load of tss. It was not a light shooter at all. The recoil was “sharp” too and when I’d shoot it to pattern it, the trigger guard always hit my middle finger mid knuckle. I thought it broke my finger one time.

I had much better success loading light recoil loads in a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge for my daughter. The gas operated guns shoot even lighter than the recoil operated guns, so an 1187 in youth version would likely be a good candidate. Probably on the heavy side for an 8 year old, regardless of age comparable stature.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »
I tried this route with my oldest daughter and personally I do not think the 28 Tristar is a gun for a youngun. You have much more versatility with a 20 gauge for loading lighter loads. The recipe I was using had an 1.5 oz load of tss. It was not a light shooter at all. The recoil was “sharp” too and when I’d shoot it to pattern it, the trigger guard always hit my middle finger mid knuckle. I thought it broke my finger one time.

I had much better success loading light recoil loads in a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge for my daughter. The gas operated guns shoot even lighter than the recoil operated guns, so an 1187 in youth version would likely be a good candidate. Probably on the heavy side for an 8 year old, regardless of age comparable stature.
  x2 i agree ....

Offline NCSWAMPFOX

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 11:46:39 AM »
Thanks for replies. After much deliberation over this I’m going with 20 ga.for her.

Offline cutt down

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 12:43:40 AM »
Thanks for replies. After much deliberation over this I’m going with 20 ga.for her.

I also have an a-400 compact lite in 20ga that is sweet! The spacers are nice as you can add while she grows. Call me & we'll chew the fat over berettas.

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 10:39:57 AM »
I recently purchased an 1187 youth for $249 new. I put a shurshot stock on it, having it drilled and tapped now, and going to put a Nikon spur on it. It should fit a youth nicely.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 11:19:17 AM »
Look at the Mossberg sa28. I love it. Small framed and light recoil

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 01:05:18 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but which would be considered the "bigger" gun as far as amount of shot and kick, the 28 or the .410?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."