turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

ISO FALL TURKEY HUNTERS

Started by TheGobblePodcast, September 26, 2019, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

Used to be 2 per year, one in the fall or two in the spring. Can't remember when that changed but you were right, it was the way you remembered.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

TheGobblePodcast

Quote from: eggshell on October 07, 2019, 03:00:59 PM
It's kinda like the old saying about deer, How do you kill big bucks.......don't shoot the first one you see. Most years I kill a gobbler in the fall. They can be tough, but there's one trick you need to learn. Fall gobbler flocks usually inhabit the same area year to year. They generally have different wintering areas as hens and poults. Once you find a gobbler area it's good most years. They mix with the other birds some, but have their own home territory. Patience is key too because they may have a route just like old bucks and it will take a few days for them to show up, but eventually they will be there. The old old boss gobblers often are off alone and only mix with flocks on food. However, they usually have even more of a pattern. I have logged at least 4-6 gobbler roost and one of them usually pays off. Some years it doesn't and I'll eventually shoot a young jake or adult hen by late November. With that said I have only shot one hen in the last 6 years. That's in Ohio where I'm allowed one fall bird. When I go to Ky. and I'm only there for three days I'm not being picky, but I still know a couple gobbler roost down there and I have killed several long beards there as well. It is harder than spring gobblers, but very doable if you work at it and actually hunt them specifically. Like I said if you fill your tags on the first birds you see you'll not kill many longbeards. One year I passed 57 turkeys to kill a longbeard. Of course that's still  only 3 or 4 flocks of hens and poults

I am not sure how I missed this previously, but I appreciate the great advice! My uncle has been in his stand to the north and watched a few groups of hens and a single longbeard. My old stand is to the south so I am setting one up on the opposite side to see what I can watch walk by. If they follow the pattern, they should be there one of these days!
The Gobble

eggshell

Thanks for the tip of the hat. This just played out for me and my buddy. Our season came in October 12th and the first few days we had hens and poults on us and we let them walk. Last Thursday one of my gobbler spots had the birds on it and I tagged a longbeard. The day before they were not there. Then yesterday we hit another known gobbler roost and busted them off the roost. Thirty minutes later we got a cluck from one gobbler and less than five minutes of calling he was flopping in front of my buddy. We held off and got what we wanted

TheGobblePodcast

Now that many states seasons have started I was curious if anyone would like to be a guest on the podcast to talk about your fall turkey hunt. I had fun speaking with a member from here previously and I would be glad to have more people on! It should only take 30 minutes, but it is okay if it goes longer. I just enjoy talking about hunting and getting tips from experienced hunters!
The Gobble