OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: ISO FALL TURKEY HUNTERS  (Read 2825 times)

Offline TheGobblePodcast

• The Gobble Podcast
ISO FALL TURKEY HUNTERS
« on: September 26, 2019, 04:36:57 PM »
Hey everyone! I'm currently looking for a few fall turkey hunters who are hunting this season to interview for 10 to 15 minutes over the phone. I want to do a podcast episode that is a few of your average Joe hunters and how their season is going and if successful, let them tell their story from the season.  Just reply here, message me or shoot an email to wasney93@gmail.com and we can set it up!
The Gobble

Offline Hook hanger

Re: ISO FALL TURKEY HUNTERS
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 12:30:36 AM »
Season is going good so far! 4 gobblers down and hopefully more than double that to come.

Offline TheGobblePodcast

• The Gobble Podcast
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 08:54:05 AM »
Season is going good so far! 4 gobblers down and hopefully more than double that to come.

Really? That's great! I've been out 5 days now and have yet to see a turkey. Going to get a little more aggressive with my blind calling and see if that helps.
The Gobble

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 09:26:41 PM »
Birds in range this evening but no gobblers so no shot taken.

Offline TheGobblePodcast

• The Gobble Podcast
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 09:10:59 PM »
Birds in range this evening but no gobblers so no shot taken.
That's unfortunate. I'm going for meat, so I'm down to shoot a hen. My issue is none are coming by! The lands too small to walk and break the flock and call them back in, so I'm stuck to waiting for them to walk by. 6 days in the field and all I've had so far was 2 deer and some squirrels. One even chatted it up with me for 10-15 minutes! They love the turkey call.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The Gobble

Offline TheGobblePodcast

• The Gobble Podcast
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 09:12:58 PM »
I did a podcast with another member and it was one of my favorite, if not the best so far! It seems a general conversation with another hunter is better than a list of questions. Would you be interested in being a guest on a podcast and telling your stories? If not I understand, but it's always great to speak with another hunter!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The Gobble

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 11:27:17 PM »
Yes could go on a pod cast and tell a few stories. Been quite busy lately to check back on this site. By the way a nice 12.5" bearded limbhanger died this afternoon and roosted a few more for the morning. I will shoot you an email tomorrow after hunting as soon as I get a chance.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 09:45:48 AM »
Yes could go on a pod cast and tell a few stories. Been quite busy lately to check back on this site. By the way a nice 12.5" bearded limbhanger died this afternoon and roosted a few more for the morning. I will shoot you an email tomorrow after hunting as soon as I get a chance.

Impressive. I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about that kind of success in the fall.

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 02:01:55 PM »

Impressive. I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about that kind of success in the fall.
Yes impressive. I’ll be at Turkey Trot in 2 weeks chasing them with the dogs. Last year they were talking about how hard it is to get a gobbler in the fall. Bubba

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 03:00:59 PM »
It's kinda like the old saying about deer, How do you kill big bucks.......don't shoot the first one you see. Most years I kill a gobbler in the fall. They can be tough, but there's one trick you need to learn. Fall gobbler flocks usually inhabit the same area year to year. They generally have different wintering areas as hens and poults. Once you find a gobbler area it's good most years. They mix with the other birds some, but have their own home territory. Patience is key too because they may have a route just like old bucks and it will take a few days for them to show up, but eventually they will be there. The old old boss gobblers often are off alone and only mix with flocks on food. However, they usually have even more of a pattern. I have logged at least 4-6 gobbler roost and one of them usually pays off. Some years it doesn't and I'll eventually shoot a young jake or adult hen by late November. With that said I have only shot one hen in the last 6 years. That's in Ohio where I'm allowed one fall bird. When I go to Ky. and I'm only there for three days I'm not being picky, but I still know a couple gobbler roost down there and I have killed several long beards there as well. It is harder than spring gobblers, but very doable if you work at it and actually hunt them specifically. Like I said if you fill your tags on the first birds you see you'll not kill many longbeards. One year I passed 57 turkeys to kill a longbeard. Of course that's still  only 3 or 4 flocks of hens and poults

Offline TheGobblePodcast

• The Gobble Podcast
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 03:05:54 PM »

I was thinking the same thing! Lol I've been out 8 days so far an haven't had even a chance at one. But I'm very limited because I'm hunting private and it's only 5ish acres. Might start door knocking for permission on neighboring land.
The Gobble

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 03:22:29 PM »

I was thinking the same thing! Lol I've been out 8 days so far an haven't had even a chance at one. But I'm very limited because I'm hunting private and it's only 5ish acres. Might start door knocking for permission on neighboring land.

Maryland gives us two tags between the spring, fall, and winter seasons. I've always burned them in the spring and not looked back but I may try to get find someone with a tag and give it a shot this fall.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 03:37:10 PM »
Maryland gives us two tags between the spring, fall, and winter seasons. I've always burned them in the spring and not looked back but I may try to get find someone with a tag and give it a shot this fall.

You get two spring tags, and separate fall or winter tag. Fill the fall tag, can't hunt winter but still have two spring tags.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 04:09:08 PM »

You get two spring tags, and separate fall or winter tag. Fill the fall tag, can't hunt winter but still have two spring tags.

paboxcall's description is how I always understood it to be in Md.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 01:31:37 PM »

paboxcall's description is how I always understood it to be in Md.

Glad I commented. I would have bet the house it was 2 a year. Thanks.