OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: First Good Calls  (Read 10310 times)

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: First Good Calls
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2019, 06:50:08 PM »
Don't just automatically rule out certain businesses. Places like Macks Prairie Wings and Midwest Turkey Call have very good collections of what are really custom/semi custom calls from the likes of Halloran, McClain, Hooks, Hanks, etc, etc.

These businesses have probably dealt a lot more with Canadian customers.

Also, as far as strikers go, one of the best that you get and is available at a lot of places is the Woodhaven Strike 3 Birch. It will run on any surface and plays very easily. I've got tons of custom strikers, but the Woodhaven seems to make the cut every year.
  X2 ... agree that's why i like assortment of strikers ...

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2019, 07:10:50 PM »
That's in the whole country according to the website!
Maybe this group could be of help, I will see what I can find for you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2019, 07:14:24 PM »
Here is another, it is not all turkey but it does cover some. https://www.facebook.com/cwtfederation/?__tn__=kCH-R&eid=ARCxcpx7CNv5khng03Yx4ITvn1OwlS8s011w-WhWGyn1nKkbOxiTxoJPj82dZQzig1eyEIGN7etQY0dN&hc_ref=ARQRlSr1yyIXkVKUIRm2xqlTWtA2IQM3GhpkGOyX5e6i-lKdzxXsCWcG-gPw6FCRGVE&__xts__[0]=68.ARDqlxJgv1SF6rMwf5PaH9qSHw-c3djv1oqqXMZwiqDDmkbiQj6Y_dMmFwA6Y1Vr-XaZIg8f6nZPhxMdd3niiMw8x18akd13tINbnJmGzxmBnmXZayJRx6smAaFgwyu7USH0Lja4H0C0BDq_2bXQpvL2Ugn417Qn3J53qecRSSW6zgHsv-u0MSzmPpdw96_sJz_kpyMKLcAgj9AzAAPu9hP9HAvek1QulN2xR3tTgRUv58LiiBFUiLYd1974FoUbAsOuRS6E8jXfJ006S9pEFNxW7pZtL41Tk61jNqOnsKIo7mC7Hr8trvo5fU8SRwuddbgfhuwRS3SauWX59RmmfqBApwOoLtI
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2019, 11:38:03 PM »
Thanks! I didn't even think of the CWTF, even though I've been lining up a membership since NWTF pulled out to south of the border. I will definitely check them out more thoroughly along with the other companies mentioned. That said I do much prefer to order direct from a guy doing it from a shop in his backyard than a larger company - if only to better support the little guy and make sure he gets all the money for his labour!

In any case though, I ordered two strikers from JLH and had a fantastic chat with him in the process, great guy whose enthusiasm and knowledge about his craft is abundantly clear. With all that done, I just have to track down a box (narrowed it down to Spring Creek, SS or Josh Farley) that speaks Turkey to me, get a waterproof striker, and then start Jonesing for the postman!  :happy0064:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2019, 02:06:09 AM »
You're quite welcome.

John Koenig:

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2019, 09:36:18 PM »
Finished up the repetoire tonight by ordering a Bloodwood over Black Limba Small Talk box from Josh Farley - like Nathan Taylor, another great guy who clearly takes a lot of pride in his work. I can't thank the folks at this forum enough for getting me onto these fellas (Farley, Taylor and JLH), without you all I'd be going to the woods with a battered Primos Wet-Box! Thanks for opening my eyes to how strong the turkey hunting community is - even if all the good stuff is south of the border from me!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2019, 10:15:48 PM »
Welcome to the disease.

John Koenig:

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2019, 11:44:02 PM »
Finished up the repetoire tonight by ordering a Bloodwood over Black Limba Small Talk box from Josh Farley - like Nathan Taylor, another great guy who clearly takes a lot of pride in his work. I can't thank the folks at this forum enough for getting me onto these fellas (Farley, Taylor and JLH), without you all I'd be going to the woods with a battered Primos Wet-Box! Thanks for opening my eyes to how strong the turkey hunting community is - even if all the good stuff is south of the border from me!
Your more than welcome , now wait until you received them and the fun begins... this is only the start of your buying ....

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2019, 12:00:22 AM »
Oh I reallly hope not - my wallet can't cope with this exchange rate! :z-dizzy:

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2019, 12:19:58 AM »
First of the packages have started to come in! Just got my strikers from JLH, but I'll let his photos speak for the beauty of them - a gorgeous Black and White Ebony and one of the best Katalox strikers to ever come off his bench (JLH's words, not mine) complete with worm-holing and sapwood! Can't wait to put them to slate soon!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2019, 07:35:36 PM »
Fine looking strikers, congratulations. Made a post looking for some Canadian makers for you. If you want to join group and read for yourself here is link to the group if not I will list them here for you.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/452910581909599/permalink/642597546274234/

First one is:
Shawn Cameron
From Delhi Ontario

TS Custom Calls

Dark 30 Calls

Knotty Beaver Calls

John Koenig:

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2019, 09:11:47 PM »
That's awesome, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that, man. I will definitely check the group out but I'm looking quite intently at Knotty Beaver and Dark:30's stuff. Thanks for digging those guys up for me!

Offline PEte_A

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2019, 10:07:15 PM »
Also from Ontario. Have look at Big Creek Calls

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2019, 10:52:01 PM »
That's awesome, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that, man. I will definitely check the group out but I'm looking quite intently at Knotty Beaver and Dark:30's stuff. Thanks for digging those guys up for me!
You're very welcome. I just posted the question and a gentleman from Ontario replied with those names.

John Koenig:

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2019, 11:11:34 PM »
First of the packages have started to come in! Just got my strikers from JLH, but I'll let his photos speak for the beauty of them - a gorgeous Black and White Ebony and one of the best Katalox strikers to ever come off his bench (JLH's words, not mine) complete with worm-holing and sapwood! Can't wait to put them to slate soon!

Those are some beautiful strikers