turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jake or hen?

Started by Wisgobbler, September 20, 2019, 01:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisgobbler

Hi guys it's been a long summer. Finally starting to see a bit cooler weather and we're getting ready to do some bowhunting. Whitetail season  opened last weekend here but the skeeters will drain ya quick in the swampy ground I hunt so we'll wait for cooler weather.
In the meantime I'm shooting the bow a lot, playing with turkey calls and fishing.
It's been on my mind a lot over the last two springs to hunt spring turkeys with my bow using the same run and gun approach that I love. I just can't sit in a blind and hunt that way.  I'm thinking that I should maybe use a decoy to keep the toms eye off me to draw my bow but otherwise just hunt with my butt planted against a tree.
The only experiences I've had with decoys in my early years of turkey hunting were pretty negative so I stopped trying to use them about thirty years ago.  Which brings me to my question.  Assuming I do decide to use a decoy just to give me a chance to maybe draw unnoticed what decoy should I have? I see guys using hens, flocks, toms, jakes and all manner of combination thereof. I don't want to carry a bunch and I hunt in the woods not fields. 
I appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ctrize

Jake and a hen if Im going to carry one it would be a hen.

tal

You could give good reasons for either one depending on what you're setting up on. A jake could be more curious than cautious with calling from another jake.

Muzzy61

If i know I'm going to hunt a certain spot and use decoys I use a good quality jake and hen.
If I'm running and gunning, I throw a cheaper hen in my vest and use it if need be.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Greg Massey

I feel sometimes you need both and possibly strutter in some cases .. but always a hen in the bag...

stinkpickle

I would just use a single jake decoy.

Harty

If I'm on the move a hen though I try too set up without needing to use any . If I set up and I'm going to stay awhile a Jake and hen. I like you hunted many years without decoys...so I'm still evolving in decoy use. Lots of good info on this site

MK M GOBL

Been using decoys for a good many years and bow hunt over them, now we are in a blind so a bit different of a game. Have had a few run & gun bow hunts no blind. If I were going to do this, a DSD 3/4 Strut Jake and Upright Hen would be the game plan, I use this in my run & gun (shotgun) hunts and works like a charm!

MK M GOBL