OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Jake or hen?  (Read 7858 times)

Offline Wisgobbler

Jake or hen?
« on: September 20, 2019, 01:16:56 AM »
Hi guys it’s been a long summer. Finally starting to see a bit cooler weather and we’re getting ready to do some bowhunting. Whitetail season  opened last weekend here but the skeeters will drain ya quick in the swampy ground I hunt so we’ll wait for cooler weather.
 In the meantime I’m shooting the bow a lot, playing with turkey calls and fishing.
It’s been on my mind a lot over the last two springs to hunt spring turkeys with my bow using the same run and gun approach that I love. I just can’t sit in a blind and hunt that way.  I’m thinking that I should maybe use a decoy to keep the toms eye off me to draw my bow but otherwise just hunt with my butt planted against a tree.
The only experiences I’ve had with decoys in my early years of turkey hunting were pretty negative so I stopped trying to use them about thirty years ago.  Which brings me to my question.  Assuming I do decide to use a decoy just to give me a chance to maybe draw unnoticed what decoy should I have? I see guys using hens, flocks, toms, jakes and all manner of combination thereof. I don’t want to carry a bunch and I hunt in the woods not fields. 
I appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Jake or hen?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »
Jake and a hen if Im going to carry one it would be a hen.

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 11:43:47 PM »
 You could give good reasons for either one depending on what you're setting up on. A jake could be more curious than cautious with calling from another jake.

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 04:21:51 PM »
If i know I'm going to hunt a certain spot and use decoys I use a good quality jake and hen.
If I'm running and gunning, I throw a cheaper hen in my vest and use it if need be.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 08:43:09 PM »
I feel sometimes you need both and possibly strutter in some cases .. but always a hen in the bag...

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 05:22:23 PM »
I would just use a single jake decoy.

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 10:08:22 AM »
If I’m on the move a hen though I try too set up without needing to use any . If I set up and I’m going to stay awhile a Jake and hen. I like you hunted many years without decoys...so I'm still evolving in decoy use. Lots of good info on this site

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 02:54:56 PM »
Been using decoys for a good many years and bow hunt over them, now we are in a blind so a bit different of a game. Have had a few run & gun bow hunts no blind. If I were going to do this, a DSD 3/4 Strut Jake and Upright Hen would be the game plan, I use this in my run & gun (shotgun) hunts and works like a charm!

MK M GOBL