News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Genetic or something else?

Started by Happy, September 17, 2019, 06:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Another thought.
Do you think most serious hunters were just genetically destined to be that way or do you think it is some other factors?

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

I guess its in my DNA, except for the serious part.  My parents hunt and I was just raised in it.  So its always been a part of who I am.  But I know people not raised in hunting family's that love it.  Also know others where just the opposite is true.     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

Based on me no, I am the only serious hunter in my family and since my father died in 86 to the best of my knowledge I am the only hunter of any kind in my family period. My father never did hunt much but when he did I only remember him hunting deer with friends. Of course I am also the only Conservative in my family that I know of, the rest are all Democrats.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sixes

I think it is genetics.

Here is an example: I have a lot of first cousins on my Dad's side of the family (He has 12 siblings). As kids, some of us boys were raised on guns, hunting, fishing, etc. and some of the cousins were not. Of the cousins that were not raised hunting, at some point in their adulthood (late 30s/early 40s), they all had the urge to hunt/fish to the point that they are all serious hunters now.

We've talked about it at dinners and such and each to a man stated that the urge just hit them one day to go hunting. One of them got the urge while crappie fishing in the spring and hearing a gobbler sounding off, he killed his first gobbler a few days later with a friend of ours.

Myself and a couple other cousins/friends were affected by the hunting gene from both parents and we are the ones people think are obsessed.  We have loved it since being old enough to walk. I got my first BB gun at 4 and a pellet gun at 7. From there, I had a .22 and 12 gauge at 10 and my first deer rifle right after. My Dad believed in raising me with guns and in the woods and at 49, I still love it

Kylongspur88

In my opinion I think it's a combination of nature and nurture.

Greg Massey

Back in my early years as a kid, watching my family members hunt was a way of putting wild game on the table. I enjoyed walking along with my father squirrel hunting and dove hunting, it was a way of spending time with him, my brother and uncles. I guess back in those day's you could call it a rite of passage. Those times were unforgetable. My father taught me how to shoot when i was just 6 or 7 years old and he gave me my first old Stevens single barrel 410, i was taught by them, how to hunt. We ate what we killed. It was just a part of growing up in my family. I still get that thrill of hunting and being the best conservation of the land and following game law's. It was just a tradition , so in some ways i think it was genetics also. Hunting is still exciting and a accomplishment in whatever game your chasing turkey, deer, ducks etc. Let's not forget the old fishing poles either.

Happy

I think it's mainly genetics. I grew up around hunting so it was easy for me. But no one took it to level I did. My wife says i am most like my grandad who was a fairly serious deer hunter his entire life. My theory is that in most bloodlines it is there. It may take the right combination of genetics to pop up but it is there. Of course some are just born to be firewood gatherers too.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

crow

Genetics run strong,
when I hear bagpipes I get the urge to look for a broadsword and the closest Englishmon.

I started young on the farm and never looked back, my Grandfather hunted till the end, but some of my cousins and Uncles fizzled out and gave it up

I can still remember being at football practice and migrating geese (before there were resident geese) flying overhead and thinking what in the heck am I doing standing on this football field.

Spitten and drummen

Not really sure but I have always had the urge. When I was young , it consumed my like. Deer hunting has gradually faded but spring gobblers just burns brighter and brighter. This year I hung my bow up and instead of deer I am stalking squirrels with my 17 mach 2. Instead of being so serious , me and my boys are gonna take a laid back approach and have a friendly contest of who can kill the most tree rats. Gonna be plenty to go with biscuits and gravey , fried or tossed in with dumplings.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

turkey_picker

Genetics/Way of Life. Growing up most of my family rabbit hunted for food and fun. Rabbits were about the only game animal we had, that was in the late 60's and early 70's. Now the rabbits are scarce and deer are everywhere, go figure.

Rzrbac

From about the time this pic was taken, I only wanted to do two things in life. Kill bucks like this and play an for the Cowboys.

My Dad didn't hunt but my grandpa did. When things lined up, I got to go with him to hunt deer and turkeys. I was lucky and had some success on the first few times I got to hunt with grandpa and from then on knew it's what I would be doing for the rest of my life.

My son is a hunter as much as me and me. I can only guess a rough tour in Vietnam made my Dad not want to hunt.

I really think it's just being a product of your environment that makes you a hunter. If not for my grandpa, I have no idea if I would have been a hunter or not. I can't imagine me not being one.

Oh yeah the starting QB job for the Cowboys didn't work out for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

Man was a hunter/gatherer for thousands of years until he evolved into what he is today.  Genetics.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

wvmntnhick

Never thought much about it in this kind of fashion. Always figured it was based more on how one was raised. City kids do city things. Country kids do country things. As one mentioned above, man was in fact hunter/gatherer type for many moons. But today's society is breeding the outdoors out of kids. We can't have their snowflake disposition exposed to such things. It's to brutal to watch a deer "die a horrible death" but it's okay for livestock to be mistreated prior to becoming table fare because it's not visible. Whether it's genetics, upbringing or divine intervention, I don't care. Just hope and pray it continues and my children get a chance to enjoy it. Valid points from all above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk