OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The verdict is in on cheap vs expensive trumpet-pic

Started by deadbuck, August 08, 2019, 06:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbuck

I have answered my own question from a few months back. Just got in a $250 Billy Buice Cocobolo trumpet with 2 screw in mouth pieces, numbers 3 and 4 to go with my $20 Ebay Trumpet. Can you guess which one is which in the pic, lol. After running the Buice I must say that the sound is MUCH better and is MUCH easier to draw air through. Also, I can kee kee decent on the Buice whereas I could not kee kee on the Ebay trumpet. However, is the Buice 10x better since it costs 10x as much? I wont be buying any more trumpets at this price and hope I don't lose this one!!!!!!

davisd9

The Buice is a cocobolo? What year was it made? Is it not Bocote? Beautiful and great trumpet regardless.

Glad you found one that will make learning easier. Would not say it is 10x better because of cost. Mr. Billy has rightfully gone up in price because of the years he has and reputation he has made. His calls were great at his older prices as well.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Mathews.1

It's bocote. He told me yesterday that he doesn't make cocobolo any more. It breaks him out really bad.

davisd9

Quote from: Mathews.1 on August 08, 2019, 07:35:59 PM
It's bocote. He told me yesterday that he doesn't make cocobolo any more. It breaks him out really bad.

That was my surprise. Nitro can say for sure but I think it has been at least 15-20 years since he has turned cocobolo. I am getting a call soon from him that was made in 2013 and Rzrbac got one that was made in 2003 so I guess he could have had one stashed back somewhere but I would have been surprised and that would have been a jackpot buy.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

deadbuck

My Bad, it is bocote. I am getting dementia. need to sign up for disability according to my wife!

va longbeard

Nice call and I agree with you Mr Buice makes one heck of a trumpet!

ol bob

The big difference between the two calls is in 5 years one you will be lucky to get 5 dollars for it,the other you can get your money back or more.

Chris O

Quote from: ol bob on August 09, 2019, 10:06:15 AM
The big difference between the two calls is in 5 years one you will be lucky to get 5 dollars for it,the other you can get your money back or more.
You are exactly right!!!!

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: warrent423 on August 09, 2019, 04:11:53 PM
In the hands of the right "Turkey Hunter", the number of Gobblers killed with either, would be about the same. Worrying about how much resale value one has, is the "collector's" problem.   
But even a turkey hunter dies and I would rather leave my family something that is worth more than I paid for it.
Also some turkey hunters quit and most guys would rather sell something and get what they paid or more for it even after using it for years.

Spitten and drummen

I will say this and this is my opinion only. I own a whole bunch of trumpets and for me the buice trumpets I own are my favorite. I absolutely love the ease of changing out the mouth pieces and the versitality of having serval different hens with one horn. I have changed to his flat mouthpieces and its hard going back to the round. The draw on them are so easy. Ralph permar is a close second for me. I always have a buice hanging around my neck. I have a frank cox that is great but it sits in my display case with many others. Again just my opinion.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Chris O

I agree with your statement warrant 423, a good hunter will kill pretty close to the same amount of birds. But if I think a call sounds just a little bit better than the other one I know which one I would grab for first. You do not have to spend a fortune either to have some awesome calls. Some of my very favorites are the mid priced calls that get over looked by the big name guys. Each call is different for everyone and maybe that $60 call fits someone better than the $400 call, that's why it's nice to try a few to decide what you like. More than likely you will be happy with a call from a reputable maker that you hear good things about.

Greg Massey

I agree no comparison between the 2 trumpets ..Billy is outstanding ...

savduck

Quote from: davisd9 on August 08, 2019, 07:39:14 PM
Quote from: Mathews.1 on August 08, 2019, 07:35:59 PM

That was my surprise. Nitro can say for sure but I think it has been at least 15-20 years since he has turned cocobolo. I am getting a call soon from him that was made in 2013 and Rzrbac got one that was made in 2003 so I guess he could have had one stashed back somewhere but I would have been surprised and that would have been a jackpot buy.

I have a coco he turned in 06
Georgia Boy