OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Off topic,but what gives ???  (Read 2348 times)

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Off topic,but what gives ???
« on: September 11, 2019, 10:54:46 PM »
Im ready to get out with my Son for some youth season Iowa whitetail hunting and Fall turkeys. I need a vacation. Lol..
Seems like as of lately the question of where is this country heading has hit me harder than in the past..Maybe I'm just getting old or crap luck..
Does anyone else have the problem with everything they try to do it has to be done at least  twice to get it done and most generally your overcharged to boot?
This week I had a leaky pipe in my house. Couple hour job  over $800 and of course they sent 2 to fix it. I have my own business and it requires trailers getting washed which costs from $100 to$200 each time sometimes twice a day. More than not my guys and myself have to inspect them and send the wash person back in because they arent right and could lose me over a million dollar a year account. Even got told to F off by one of the help(I'm in process of getting him fired. Would have liked to done something else to him). Paid 10 grand to have a trailer completely gone through recently with a DOT inspection done and 3 lights werent working when I picked it up?? Fired 2 guys in one week because they werent worth keeping..Anyone else think the quality of help stinks? My good guys make 5 -7 grand a week.. Everyone seems to want the quick dollar and to do a little bit of nothing for it.
Anyone else see any of this. Just curious..

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
Re: Off topic,but what gives ???
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 12:26:44 AM »
Every day I'd say 90% of the businesses just want to take your money and no customer service and alot of the products we buy are junk but expensive I don't think todays manufactures ever heard of quality control how do you say that in Chinese lol

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:36:49 AM »
I work in a production shop and don't get enough work to keep me busy. It has made me disappointed enough that I'm going to leave. It's not that hard to do a quality job. I refuse to release something if it isn't correct. It costs me at times but it beats a customer coming back in to pount it out. Nobody's perfect but you know who's trying  and who's not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
Seeing as I have been without electricity for 24 hours now i tend to agree with you. Electricity is a luxury and I have gone for over 2 weeks without it and survived just fine. However being an electrician for 20 years and actually working in the field for 16 years i have noticed the trend for schooling to trump experience. Problem is very few are good at taking the education and making it practical. I hold several masters electrical licenses as well as electrical contractors licenses and those can all be obtained without a bit of practical experience. I teach a lot and my mantra is to reduce any problems down and keep it as simple as possible. The coal miners I grew up with and worked around were masters at this. No engineering degrees but they could make stuff work and it was practically bomb proof. Aesthetics were often lacking but it worked. But we are losing more and more people every day that actually work for a living. Everyone wants to sit on their rear ends and do nothing and be accountable for nothing yet make a 6 figure salary with 2 months paid vacation out of the gate. It's sad. Working your way up is becoming lost on the younger generation.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 08:41:39 AM »
That's the unfortunate part of a low unemployment. People get lazy cuz there's plenty of work and everyone has money. Everyone that actually wants a job already has one. It can make it difficult to run a business.  I run a construction business and when the economy is bad the workers will go out of their way to please you but not now. Now there's plenty of work and your lucky to get anyone to show up. Oh-well, I'm sure a good economy is the best case scenario- even though it lazys everyone up.

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 09:01:06 AM »
 My grandfather made a comment years ago that my father told me about. Day labor was about to go up from 25 cents a day to 50 cents. My grandfather said that prosperity was going to ruin this country. After you laugh at the joke you realize there is an underlying truth.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 10:06:25 AM »
I agree , people who want to work are working. Another problem we had in hiring people to work , was them passing drug test and having drivers licence , we would sometimes go thru 15 - 20 applications to find someone who could pass both drug test and have driver licence , and you would be surprised how many had some kind of criminal record in the back ground check. Most want to work about 3 days out of 7 days ...

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 02:53:48 PM »
Im ready to get out with my Son for some youth season Iowa whitetail hunting and Fall turkeys. I need a vacation. Lol..
Seems like as of lately the question of where is this country heading has hit me harder than in the past..Maybe I'm just getting old or crap luck..
Does anyone else have the problem with everything they try to do it has to be done at least  twice to get it done and most generally your overcharged to boot?
This week I had a leaky pipe in my house. Couple hour job  over $800 and of course they sent 2 to fix it. I have my own business and it requires trailers getting washed which costs from $100 to$200 each time sometimes twice a day. More than not my guys and myself have to inspect them and send the wash person back in because they arent right and could lose me over a million dollar a year account. Even got told to F off by one of the help(I'm in process of getting him fired. Would have liked to done something else to him). Paid 10 grand to have a trailer completely gone through recently with a DOT inspection done and 3 lights werent working when I picked it up?? Fired 2 guys in one week because they werent worth keeping..Anyone else think the quality of help stinks? My good guys make 5 -7 grand a week.. Everyone seems to want the quick dollar and to do a little bit of nothing for it.
Anyone else see any of this. Just curious..

I have to ask, what kind of jobs are your guys doing for 250 to 350K a year?

I work for a very large utility company (32K employees) and for the last few years, the average age of new hires is actually older. Late 20s up to 40 and it is because they have learned that the work ethic has fallen with the younger generation.

No one wants to start at the bottom and work up.  Now, everyone with a basic college degree steps out of school and expects to make 90K with 4 weeks vacation and flexible hours with no true experience.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 07:04:59 PM »
I work for a manufacturing company and the turn around is terrible.I have seen a lot of people go through that place in the 14 years I have worked there. I am clock # 140 and I think their numbers are up to 270 now and they only try to employ 60 people. I can relate with what everyone has said. I can usually tell when someone walks through for a interview how they are going to pan out. A couple people have surprised me but not very often. What town are you out of iahobblergetter? I am ready for a career change!!!!

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 08:49:28 PM »
I work for a manufacturing company and the turn around is terrible.I have seen a lot of people go through that place in the 14 years I have worked there. I am clock # 140 and I think their numbers are up to 270 now and they only try to employ 60 people. I can relate with what everyone has said. I can usually tell when someone walks through for a interview how they are going to pan out. A couple people have surprised me but not very often. What town are you out of iahobblergetter? I am ready for a career change!!!!
But just like we've been saying, I would have to have a guaranteed two months off in the spring! LOL. Heck I can pass a drug test and have a driver's license.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 12:22:30 AM »
But just like we've been saying, I would have to have a guaranteed two months off in the spring! LOL. Heck I can pass a drug test and have a driver's license.
If you don't mind working 6 to 7 days a week all year round,sometimes crap hours,barely getting to do anything else,only through the house once in awhile then your hired..
Oh complaining goes on deaf ears. Lol..
Youll still get to live your hunting through old gobbler whenever you get a chance though. Ill let you do that much.. ;D
I just hired a older guy he starts Sunday.We'll see how that works. I'd still hire you though as a spare..Maybe I could go hunting more then. :thanks:

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 08:30:32 AM »
  LOL. I can be just like royalty, an heir and a spare.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 02:28:43 PM »
You aren’t making it sound too glorious lol!!! I don’t mind working 10 to 12 hr days Monday through Friday just the Saturday’s is what I would like to get away from. I work the majority of them throughout the year and I am getting tired of it. The last month has been slow but usually gets really busy October through July so it messes up a lot of the things I enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 12:23:27 PM »
I’ve co-owned and operated a business going on 4 years now. Finding help is hard. Finding good, reliable help is impossible. Most of what I get complaints on are basic maintenance stuff. It’s the easiest part of what we do and I can’t find anyone to do it properly. This younger generation takes ZERO pride in their work and it leaves me playing catch up every evening after I leave from teaching. Got into it with a couple employees couple weeks ago. Sitting around playing on their phones after I’d already put in a solid day. They tell me there’s “nothing to do.” Store needed cleaned. Shelves needed stocked. Inventory is often a wreck. Told one to clock out and the other to get in the truck and tag along or go home and not bother coming back. Complained about not “getting back in time.” Whole job took 21 minutes for a pump swap. Their response: “That’s was fast. We always thought you messed around on these jobs because it always takes you much longer than it takes us.” My response: “It takes me longer because I’ve gotta go along behind the rest of you, fix what you should’ve already taken care of and then redo what you’ve previously messed up.”

It didn’t set well but I don’t care anymore. Done with the snowflakes. Done with this new “GIMME” generation. I’m just kinda done. Rather scale it all back to where I can handle it myself and forget the rest of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk