OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fall Turkey Calling  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Spyderman

Fall Turkey Calling
« on: September 06, 2019, 12:28:12 AM »
Each year, I get a turkey bow tag in case I have a shot at a turkey while bow hunting deer. In years past, I often see a large flock of turkeys (probably about a dozen), but have not been able to get a shot at any of them. I've tried calling to them, and have had a hen repeating everything I said (and vice versa), but they have not ever come in to the call.

Since I'm deer hunting, I have no interest in busting the flock and calling them in. Do any of you have any advise for calling turkeys in the fall?

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Fall Turkey Calling
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 12:39:36 AM »
My suggestion do a lot of purring , long number of yelps and some gobbler yelps , which take a lot of practice. You need to have low hoarse yelp with a very slow cadence ... Kee Kee also..

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 02:11:31 PM »
My suggestion do a lot of purring , long number of yelps and some gobbler yelps , which take a lot of practice. You need to have low hoarse yelp with a very slow cadence ... Kee Kee also..
  A flock that has not been busted (together) are difficult to call. They seem to relax when they hear calling. I think it's in their mind that they have more eyes and ear on their flank. I have seen a flock 'bend' and start feeding my way but it's nothing like a gobbler in the spring. I've had some success with mimicking their calls. Give back to them exactly as they are calling. Aggressive or hot cutts in calling doesn't work like spring.

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 04:07:03 PM »
Pretty hard to do if your deer hunting. Choose one or the other. Nice way to spend some time if you get board in your stand. Figure out their patterns. I always enjoyed busting the flock up and calling them back in kee kee works well with young birds. The slow gobbler yelp will attract curious Toms in the fall. Good luck, stay safe and have fun.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 07:31:04 PM »
Sounds like you're doing it correctly because they respond. But they want you to join them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline strutnrut

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 12:22:43 AM »
If you are trying to call in hens in the fall without busting the flock then you have to setup where there want to go in the first place. Sitting in a deer stand and calling a bird in is hard unless they are headed that way anyhow. Take one day and bust them and have a blast better than deer hunting anyway. Take a kid and enjoy your time together. 

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »
I hunt them in the Fall without busting flocks up..Of course make certain birds are using the area then...
Call bird for bird..meaning Gobblers= Gobbler yelps,Clucks...Hens& young of year= lost yelps,kee kees,kee kee run,etc... sometimes alot of patience is involved.

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 05:26:51 PM »
I hunt them in the Fall without busting flocks up..Of course make certain birds are using the area then...
Call bird for bird..meaning Gobblers= Gobbler yelps,Clucks...Hens& young of year= lost yelps,kee kees,kee kee run,etc... sometimes alot of patience is involved.

Excellent advice if not busting up the flock.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 09:12:32 AM »
Yelps and clucks work just fine.  If you hear a flock flydown nearby just imitate what they do. 

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 05:21:49 AM »
I have a Video up you might like and get something out of for Fall Turkeys. No expert here-- but the video came out good. I will post the Thread in the Fall Turkey Forum in a bit.