OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What’s your BH setup???  (Read 9057 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: What’s your BH setup???
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2019, 07:42:16 AM »
Very nice to see all the stykbow guys. Actually nice just to see real bow (any vertical type)  guys.

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2019, 02:20:24 PM »
Was shooting a PSE Decree HD with a HHA Optimizer KingPin and Goldtip Hunter XT with 100gr Grim Reapers. Just swapped to a Mathews Traverse two days ago with the exact same setup across the board.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline Swamper7

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2019, 11:11:51 PM »
Bowtech realm, whisker biscuit, trophy ridge hotwire sight, easton axis 340, 100 gr. 3 blade rage

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2019, 10:03:59 AM »
Mathews Z7, QAD rest, G5 sight, G5 Deadmeat broadheads. Same setup ive been using for years, have used all flavors of grim reapers with success over the years, just wanted to try something new with the deadmeats.

Online gary harris

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2019, 04:40:39 PM »
elite emerge ripcord code red rest cbe site beman ics 400 hunter arrows 100gr viper trick

Offline zsully

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2019, 08:45:53 PM »
Hoyt alphamax 32. Easton axis 340, 100grain NAP killzone maxx.

Offline HILBY72

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2019, 01:57:59 AM »
PSE bow, Beman ICS arrows, Trophy Ridge sight and Wasp Drone broadheads

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2019, 11:04:35 PM »
Reflex Buckskin 30/70
3 pin MBG Ascent Verdict Whitetail slider
Whisker Biscuit
Beman ICS arrows
Thunderheads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lmbunch69

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2019, 10:33:50 PM »
Mathews chill, Easton Axis, muzzy 3 blade 100 grain

Online aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2019, 11:17:49 PM »
I’m shooting my old faithful 2008 Bowtech Equalizer at 24” / 60lbs. Shooting Black Eagle Rampage 400’s with the 50 gain SS inserts up front and 100gr Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts.  It’s shoots straight through a whitetail no problem.  Makes me wonder how light and arrow some of these tv guys are shooting with a big expandable and getting crap penetration when my little set up has no problem.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2019, 11:59:14 PM »
I’m shooting my old faithful 2008 Bowtech Equalizer at 24” / 60lbs. Shooting Black Eagle Rampage 400’s with the 50 gain SS inserts up front and 100gr Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts.  It’s shoots straight through a whitetail no problem.  Makes me wonder how light and arrow some of these tv guys are shooting with a big expandable and getting crap penetration when my little set up has no problem.

Those big OTP expandables take a pile of energy to open up. I’ve used them and haven’t always gotten the best penetration. But, they’ve generally left plenty of blood on the ground. Having said that, the ST magnums have been good too. Hard to argue with a sharp, fixed 4 blade head.

2008? Isn’t that a relic these days? How can you kill a deer with an 11 y/o bow these days?

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2019, 12:43:41 PM »
Bowtech destroyer that I put aftermarket barnesdale limbs on. Ripcord rest, full metal jacket arrows and qad exodus broadhead. Also occasionally use slick trick magnums and shuttle T broadheads but the qad beats them hands down for toughness and bloodtrails. I have shot enough with all and dont even see that as a close competition. Need to sharpen the shuttle T's also as I have found they are not sharp out of the package.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2019, 01:26:28 PM »

Those big OTP expandables take a pile of energy to open up. I’ve used them and haven’t always gotten the best penetration. But, they’ve generally left plenty of blood on the ground. Having said that, the ST magnums have been good too. Hard to argue with a sharp, fixed 4 blade head.

2008? Isn’t that a relic these days? How can you kill a deer with an 11 y/o bow these days?

I have an '08 Bowtech Guardian and yes it is a relic. It isn't very fast compared to today's standards, but it is hands down the smoothest drawing/shooting, quietest, shock free bow I've shot... I have shot quite a few Brands/models over the 30 plus yrs. that I've been shooting. The Darton DS 3800 I'm hunting with now is close . The draw cycle is harsher, has a little more jump on the release and is a bit more sensitive to hand torque. But it is more of speed bow.

Offline muskyjunky

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2019, 03:48:38 AM »
Can't give up my  Mathews Outback ( 2004 ), Trophy Taker drop away rest, New for me this year is a 3 pin IQ bow site ( really liking it so far ), Carnivore arrows - 300 , and Rage Hypo 100 gr.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2019, 07:34:01 AM »

I think the over the top expandable penetration limitation is very subjectsble to many factors. If you have a really light weight bow and short draw, use light arrows, and especially if the arrow doesn’t hit its target perfectly straight there could be issues. For years I’ve used wasp jackhammers, never had an arrow stay in unless far shoulder bone was hit and that’s an over the top expandable. Same thing happened w fixed blade heads from same bows.
As bow hunters we need to learn our limitations w our given equipment and work around that. Yes the penetration could suffer but to what extent varies.