OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What’s your BH setup???

Started by wvmntnhick, September 05, 2019, 08:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

I've played around with several setups over the years. I've enjoyed most of them but have found that I like the current BOE I've got the best of all. Having said that, I'll be running 2 setups this year:

1.) Prime Rival, HHA single pin sight, Easton Full Metal Jacket shafts, and for broadheads it's a smorgasbord. Slick Trick Magnum, Grim Reaper anything, Wac'em 4 blade, NAP Doublecross, Rage Hypodermic. Honestly, my quiver is a mess. They all fly straight and perform well so I just grab an arrow and pray that I do my job well enough that the Nockturnal disappears into the appropriate portion of the deer.

2.) Bear Grizzly recurve, Easton carbon shaft with cedar wraps, Zwickey Eskimo head. To 15 yards it's a dead deer. Beyond that, I'm letting it walk.

Just curious as to what you're packing into the tree stand is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trkehunr93

I have a Parker Wildfire XP that is going into it's 10th season, I had a new string put on it last year and a new TruGlo sight and TruGlo stabilizer.  I used to shoot Gold Tip arrows but I switched to Easton Carbon Aftermath's last year.  Only thing I'm doing is maybe buying some new broadheads, been shooting Rage but might try G5 Montecs. 

BigSlam51

Mathews monster mr8, extreme archery 4 pin, Easton fmj 340 uncut, rage hypodermic

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Muzzy61

I'm toting a Elite Synergy , truglo site, Gold Tip arrows topped with Slick trick broad heads.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Delmar ODonnell

I've been shooting the same setup for years as well. Matthews Reezen 6.5 at 64#. Spott Hogg Hunter 5 pin and Anchor sight. Schaffer XV rest and B stinger stabilizer. Carbon Express Maxima Red 350s.

I'm not dead set on any one broadhead. I'm a firm believer in good shot placement and being aware of the shot placement and surrounding terrain before tracking, but it is fun/interesting to experiment with different heads. I've shot Grim Reaper razortips and whitetail specials with great results, and killed a doe last year with the new G5 deadmeat that went down quickly.

The biggest buck I've ever killed, and the only deer that I've shot that was slightly quartering to me, I shot with a Magnus Buzzcut 4 blade. It punched right through the shoulder and exited behind the last rib. I doubt a larger expandable would have been as effective. On the flip side, the extra cutting diameter of an expandable is sure nice to have on broadside/quartering away shots, especially if the shot is a tad back. There are trade offs for both heads, but I'll probably have a combination of Grim Reapers and Magnus in my quiver this year.

Rzrbac

PSE Beast ECS, Hamskea Versarest, Axcel Rheotech 5 pin, Tightspot quiver, AAE front and side bar, Truball Execute, Black Eagle Outlaws tipped with Ramcats.

This will be my first year shooting the Ramcats. They are flying well. I've always used Muzzys till I started shooting distance for western hunts. I switched to Slick Tricks. They fly great but the last buck I shot gave me nearly any blood and the shot was perfect.

I did track a buck for my son that was shot with a Ramcat. The bloodtrail was very impressive.

Gobbler428

I carry a Mathews Triax, Trophy Ridge one pin, Carbon Express Maxima Reds, Montec G5's.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: trkehunr93 on September 05, 2019, 09:30:12 AM
I have a Parker Wildfire XP that is going into it's 10th season, I had a new string put on it last year and a new TruGlo sight and TruGlo stabilizer.  I used to shoot Gold Tip arrows but I switched to Easton Carbon Aftermath's last year.  Only thing I'm doing is maybe buying some new broadheads, been shooting Rage but might try G5 Montecs.
Montecs are good but you'll want to sharpen them first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixes

Mostly use an older Hoyt Vectrix with a single pin VBG slider sight with Beman ICS arrows with fake Rage Hypodermics.

I used Slick Tricks for years and loved them and on whim decided to try the fake Rages and they are devastating.

Sometimes, I will hunt with a Tenpoint Titan SS that I bought a couple years back after a shoulder injury. I shoot BEE bolts tipped with fake Rages with it. I used to snub my noses at crossbows, but they are a lot of fun to hunt with during late season.

Gobbler2577

Hoyt carbon spyder turbo, black gold single pin, FMJ's with 100 grain wasp drones.   Early season here in MS I use this setup for shooting mosquitos mostly.  If I get a chance to shoot a deer I will.  I havent found a good recipe for the mosquitos, but they tend to be a bigger target than the deer so it makes for more success.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

guesswho

Mathews Z7 Extreme.   All the stuff on it and hanging off of it, I have no idea.   I do know the broadheads are Muzzy fixed 4 blade. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

No bow hunting for me this year because of the shoulder surgery, just wanted to come in and wish you all the best of luck.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

nativeks

Mathews Halon 32-6. I am very long draw so really limited on bows. Carbon Express Maxima Reds tipped with Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts.

fallhnt

Element...first year they came out. 50lbs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

owlhoot

Ferguson safari 64" take down longbow or Hollenbeck 56" longbow , douglas fir arrows and Zwickey heads, close range only. Shoot until my shoulder burns out, which don't take much anymore.
So Excalibur crossbow Easton 2219 bolts with old style muzzy 3 blade 130 grains.
New Barnett whitetail pro STR to try this year. Hopefully it will shoot Easton 2219 and muzzy as well.