OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: deer meat  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: deer meat
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 11:58:19 AM »
Finished my last loin Sun but our season started Sat. The giant moon n storms made this season start slow but we’lldo ok.
Soaked in salt water than drained. Cut up into 2 by 4 chops.  Marinated in apple cider a full day, than drained n barbecue sauce a full day.
Piece of onion next to it, wrapped in bacon than grilled. Good stuff.

I haven’t bought store beef in prob 4 years. I bought a new grill,  I decided I’d put a beef steak on it for a first use. Sticker shock isn’t the word. No way I’d spend the asking price for a cow. 29-35 dollars a steak. If they’re that proud of it they can keep it. I used to take about a dozen deer a year as a kid. Prob back to 4-5 a year now. I may go back up one or two more that my girls daughter finally eats it. In fact almost everything I kill or gather she eats.
Love my deer but still like turkey, bear, moose  better.

Online aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 11:09:40 PM »
I’m going to hit it about perfect this year. I just brought my last four packs of burger in today and grilled one of them tonight.  Time to restock. It’s actually great because my wife is starting to encourage we need some more deer meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2019, 12:24:26 PM »
Used to have it good. Guy I hunt with, his in-laws have a huge farm. They’d get CD permits. Kept me stockpiled and allowed me to be much more picky about what I was shooting during season. Stopped buying extra permits because I didn’t need them any longer. Got to the point I’d kill a deer in now season, generally kill a buck at some point during rifle and I’d try things out in BP season. Might get a doe stamp or two depending on the needs of the family. My oldest is now showing more interest so any doe stamps will be bought for her. Gonna try my youngest at some point this year. She’s coming into it slower than her big sister though. Needless to say, with the lack of CD permits the last few years, we’ve actually scraped the bottom of the freezer. But, my buddy doesn’t eat much and kills everything he can to help his family eliminate deer on their farm. I make sure they don’t go to waste.

As for preparation, I’d recommend everyone try this. Leave/remove as many seeds as you want.
 Butterfly chunks of backstrap. Slice jalapeño pepper in half. Stuff with cream cheese. Slip it into the chunk of meat and wrap it all in bacon. Glad pan into the oven on broil. Light sprinkle of Tony C’s Cajun seasoning and bath in Worcestershire sauce. When the bacon is done, it’s ready. Give it a go. If you don’t like it, message me. I’ll come to your house and clean it up for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk