OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: deer meat  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Southerngobbler

deer meat
« on: September 03, 2019, 10:23:30 PM »
Better start finishing off last years deer meat. I'm hitting mine pretty hard. Gonna have to eat it two or three times a week to pull it off at this rate. My season starts in 7 weeks.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Re: deer meat
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 10:30:54 PM »
I have been hitting mine pretty hard as well. I have All my burger and steaks gone but still have some brats, bacon, breakfast sausage and summer sausage to clean up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 10:53:10 PM »
Nothing better than deer ground and deer steaks , i process my own ...

Offline Tomfoolery

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 01:29:39 AM »
I started over this weekend. Went to work at the lease in Texas and shot 2 axis!

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 04:51:47 AM »
 :mycross:
I started over this weekend. Went to work at the lease in Texas and shot 2 axis!
I have heard those are some of the best tasting meat there is.

Offline Tomfoolery

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 05:51:14 AM »
:mycross:
I have heard those are some of the best tasting meat there is.

They're very tasty. If I one more of them and I won't have to punch a white tail tag  :toothy9:

Offline camotoe

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 06:34:53 AM »
My son took one first week of archery , time for a bigger freezer .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 07:08:37 AM »
Season opens soon here in Md But I will hold off till mid-late October. Still have a little left but that won't last too long. Have always processed my own and actually enjoy it. 6-7 deer will be plenty for the year so when we hit that we quit. Hopefully my boy shoots over half of them.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 11:16:21 AM »
With 2 boys at home , we have no problem running out before season. We go through 7 to 9 a year with no waste.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 05:09:28 PM »
I have 5-6 lbs. of ground deer left. Our season opens Oct. 1st.

Offline CC

• CallCollector.com
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 07:06:39 PM »
Yup... Just made a bunch of jerky in preparation for Hurricane Dorian.  You need protein when the power goes out.  Thankfully it didn't hit Florida as hard as the predicted.  Thank God... Been eating it while I pick up the yard and removing the window coverings on the house.   

Online Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 07:34:12 PM »
Georgia opens the second Saturday in September. This year, that is the 14th, the latest it can open.

I hunt a private quail plantation/agriculture farm a couple of times a season and help them with doe control. We are allowed 12 deer a year here, so I don't run out of deer meat.

We eat lots of deer and I have a couple of relatives that I give deer to each year, so none go to waste.

I've been on their crop depredation permits before, but I do not care for night shooting does in August with the brutal heat in middle Georgia

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 10:03:58 PM »
I'm almost tapped. Found the last piece of backstrap hiding in the freezer last week and grilled it up. Finished off the stew meat this week. I have a few steaks and a roast left. They won't last long. Time to re-stock.

Offline bigbird

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 04:46:14 PM »
 I got some left but I never get one processed or get any deer til December. I like late muzzleloader season. Speaking of what tastes better or best has anyone seen the Randy Newberg YouTube video where they prepare 4-5 different kinds of meat and have to guess what they are eating and rate them!  Pretty good clip.

Offline bonasa

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 11:34:13 AM »
Ran out of wild game in August that was 7 deer we supplemented with around 50 ducks and 100 geese. A lot of sausage, ground meat and salami. Fortunately goose opened up here the beginning of September, confit the legs/thighs and grind the rest. Grouse and woodcock don't count, can't shoot enough to stockpile those between the 3 of us that hunt in the house.